Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
chipnkim

Friends: (0)
Default Futaba T9cap 72mhz to 2.4 mhz

Can it be done and where can I get what I need to do it? I have a nice radio its just 72mhz Thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Fentonflyers

Friends: (1)

Naw it can't be done. That radio is worthless. I will take it off your hands for $20. Just kidding. Great radio. Just get a 2.4 module from Futaba or whoever you want. Plenty of choices. I personally like Frysky.
Jay
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
chipnkim

Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Naw it can't be done. That radio is worthless. I will take it off your hands for $20. Just kidding. Great radio. Just get a 2.4 module from Futaba or whoever you want. Plenty of choices. I personally like Frysky.
Jay
Yes I think Frsky is the way, Futaba wants as much as a new TX for the up grade. Now I just have to learn how to use it. Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
Dragonflyer

I converted my 8U with FlyDream. It got good reviews. $40's
Here's the link.
http://www.rc-modules.com/page1.php

Bill W.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
Fentonflyers

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by Dragonflyer View Post
I converted my 8U with FlyDream. It got good reviews. $40's
Here's the link.
http://www.rc-modules.com/page1.php

Bill W.

I have been considering getting a few Flydream Modules and perhaps a hack(have the Flysky in my 7c now). The receivers are cheaper and fine for applications where telemetry is not required. I found this distributor in China that has some good prices especially if purchased 5 at a time. I did find a forum post somewhere that mentions obtaining the latest version for best performance. If anyone is interested here is the link. Perhaps we could get a few together and capitalize on shipping and volume price.

http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cart....nSearch=Search

PM me if there is any interest.
Jay
Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I have 2 9C Supers on 72 MHz. I now also have a Spektrum DSM2 Module and a Futaba FASST module.

High end contest gliders that I will take to big events will go on FASST. The rest will go on DSM2.

I will say that I have been reading some very good reports on FrSky too.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

You may not care about these reports but since you are conidering a conversion I thought I would share my experience with the Futaba FASST change over from 72 MHz.

I coverted my Supra glider yesterday. Today I did the AVA. These are high end gliders with carbon/kevlar fuselages. If you want to see them you can find them here:
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/index.html

I have the FASST module in my radio. Both got the 7 channel 617 receiver. The AVA is the same Carbon/Kevlar fuselage material as the Supra with a Carbon Kevlar nose cone. If you want to see the arrangement you can look at the build manual. I don't have a shot of my install yet.
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/instructions/ava-v2.7.pdf

The receiver is inside the fuselage, under the servo tray. One antenna inside and one antenna above the servo deck in a tube that holds it up off the deck.

I put the AVA carbon/kevlar nose cone on and did a range test. So the antenna that is above the servo deck is inside one layer of fabric. The one below the servo deck is inside two layers.

I set the fuse so I am looking at it from the bottom, as if it were directly over head. I think that would be my worst possible position based on the shielding by the fabric in the fuselage. No side view at all to avoid the fabric layers. There is probably a 60 degree angle between the antenna. Range check was 45 paces. Amazing.

However I will be switching to a fiberglass nosecone so there will be even less shielding.

Love this FASST stuff.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros