Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
coreman
Combatant/Target

Club: Sturbridge Lawn Darts
Friends: (2)
Default Ultra Micro Spitfire Mk IX BNF by ParkZone (PKZU2180)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...x-bnf-PKZU2180

Parkzone is about to release an UM Spit with their stabilization system. Release is mid-February. Looks good, a little heavy (46g) for basically the 4-Site power system (8.5mm brushed motor) but it should be interesting. I have one reserved at my LHS when they come in. I've been following the threads in one of the other forums and thought people might be interested in them here also. I hope they learned from their Polecat issues so this is a smooth release.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Originally Posted by coreman View Post
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...x-bnf-PKZU2180

Parkzone is about to release an UM Spit with their stabilization system. Release is mid-February. Looks good, a little heavy (46g) for basically the 4-Site power system (8.5mm brushed motor) but it should be interesting. I have one reserved at my LHS when they come in. I've been following the threads in one of the other forums and thought people might be interested in them here also. I hope they learned from their Polecat issues so this is a smooth release.
Yes, Coreman, I, too, succumbed to Horizon's dastardly appealing marketing schemes with this particular bird and cannot wait to fly her. At 99.99 U.S. she's more affordable than the other AS3X equipped birds, and she actually LOOKS more scale than even their larger parkflyer model, with wings much more alligned to a flat, level horizontal plane like the real Spitfire (less dehydral/dihedral (sp?)).

...do not let the sun go down on your anger
--Paul, in Ephesians, ch. 4
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
coreman
Combatant/Target

The sad news is they have "corrected" the release date and it now stands at May

After our indoor season will be over
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Sakai's Freedom Flight

The sad news is they have "corrected" the release date and it now stands at May

Oh, well. Maybe I'll be able to fly it better by then and won't have to order an immediate replacement, and then a third.....

Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
RMG

Friends: (0)

Stopped by my LHS today to find they have an UMX Beast 3D (with the gyro system) in stock. Only 1... seriously thinking about going to pick it up tomorrow. Does anyone know any real info about this plane (or have one to give me info)??
Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
coreman
Combatant/Target

Originally Posted by RMG View Post
Stopped by my LHS today to find they have an UMX Beast 3D (with the gyro system) in stock. Only 1... seriously thinking about going to pick it up tomorrow. Does anyone know any real info about this plane (or have one to give me info)??
One of the guys I fly indoors with flew one outside in the wind and said you would never know the wind was gusting. it just flew true and yet it did just what he asked of it. It is a 2S system
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Originally Posted by RMG View Post
Got one and I'm waiting for the fog and rain to stop. Been waiting awhile so maybe it'll be by spring.....But I've driven her around on the carpet and she's just dandy as a car with a menacing propellor. Powerful, swift. Can do donuts with hard rudder and sudden, medium throttle. It's awesome, even grounded. Wish I had a cat...
Oh, on Spitfire are you sure that's May, Coreman? That really breaks my
...joy.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
coreman
Combatant/Target

Originally Posted by Sakai's Freedom Flight View Post
Oh, on Spitfire are you sure that's May, Coreman? That really breaks my
...joy.
Broke mine also.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=74

straight from a Horizon Hobbies employee
Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
nz builder

cant wait!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

It does look good, and all those AS3X planes fly amazingly well outside in the wind. The GeeBee flys like a 40 size plane, so smooth, like it is in a groove.

My LHS will fly every new little plane that comes thru the door, as soon as they get the battery charged, right in the parking lot between the the cars.
The AS3X system seems to make the plane fly where you want it to fly, not getting bounced around by the wind and looking like a motorized leaf.
When they come out with a AS3X P-38, then I will not be able to control myself, in fact I may just tell them to order one, if Horizon ever makes one.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
coreman
Combatant/Target

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
When they come out with a AS3X P-38, then I will not be able to control myself, in fact I may just tell them to order one, if Horizon ever makes one.
Oh yeah, a P-38 would be sweet! That and the Spit are my two all time faves. I have the discontinued E-flite P-38 and have lusted after the big Yellow Aircraft gasser version for a really long time.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Oh yeah, a P-38 would be sweet! That and the Spit are my two all time faves. I have the discontinued E-flite P-38 and have lusted after the big Yellow Aircraft gasser version for a really long time.
sweet amen to that.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

So I talked to Horizon this afternoon and they said they are expecting them to be out end of May to first week in June. I have Pre-ordered one at my LHS cause I have to have one.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
TopSpin

Belay that, Horizon now says end of June. This is getting frustrating.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Sakai's Freedom Flight

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Belay that, Horizon now says end of June. This is getting frustrating.
It's just taking them some extra time to mount the new, updated Micro 1mm Canon (tm) I requested. She'll be sweet but vicious when she does show up.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
ChuckTSeeker

Here it is at last, with thanks again to Mike from OMP, the latest release from Parkzone in the Ultra Micro range, It's a War Bird, but not just any War Bird, it's the legendary Spitfire Mk IX, with the latest AS3X technology on board to make your flying experience even better. It's also a baby brother for the Parkzone Spitfire released in the Park Flyer range last year and what a beauty this plane is too. The detail is right up there with the best and the only thing i could see that would have been nice was a pilot to go in the excellent canopy, that has a realistic dash inside. Well lets get this video rolling so you can have a close up look at this new offering from Parkzone the UM Spitfire Mk IX With AS3X

hope you all enjoy this video, keep an eye out for the maiden coming soon

cheers chuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oK5nfvK3LA

I"LL DO IT TOMORROW
I"M FLYING TODAY
Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
ChuckTSeeker

Here it is at last, with thanks again to Mike from OMP, The Maiden of the latest release from Parkzone in the Ultra Micro range, the legendary Spitfire Mk IX, with the latest AS3X technology on board. Lets get this video rolling so you can have a look at this new offering from Parkzone the UM Spitfire Mk IX With AS3X flying at my local spot

cheers chuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afzvlKrY7M

I"LL DO IT TOMORROW
I"M FLYING TODAY
Old 05-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #18
ChuckTSeeker

here it is, the bonus flight of the Parkzone Ultra Micro Spitfire, this time the plane is silhouetted against the clouds and sun, no close ups, so you can get a perspective of just how fast and well this plane manoeuvrers in the air. I must say it is a joy to fly and really looks the part silhouetted against the sky, so sit back and enjoy a 3 minute flight of Parkzones new UM Spitfire, again many thanks to Mike from OMP for supplying this plane way ahead of the release date so we can all get a good look at her
ya know a quick visit to the Modelflight facebook page and a "Thanks" for supporting chuck, might just help to keep these new releases coming early to me so i can show you all how they fly, takes but a few seconds to say thanks, as they do not come on the forums and see your thanks here

cheers chuck

http://www.facebook.com/Modelflight

I"LL DO IT TOMORROW
I"M FLYING TODAY
Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2

I placed my order for a UM Spitfire, with an online (UK) model shop, on 13th May. The web page didnt state 'pre-order', so I assumed it was in stock.
I quickly had a phonecall from the shop, saying the models were 'on the water' and should be expected 'within a couple of weeks'.
I chased it up again today (after waiting 6 weeks) and was told they wouldn't be getting them now, until end of July.
Looks like I'm gonna have to be patient for a while longer. UK weather has generally been too lousy for flying, anyway.

UMX Beast is a bit off-topic. I dont have the AS3X version - just the original - but I can tell you it is my fav micro of all. If I have to pick one aircraft for a quick fix, I always choose the Beast. It is the most enjoyable to fly and always comes home undamaged.

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #20
MWShelton

View MWShelton's Gallery8

I backordered mine so long ago I thought my credit card had expired. Just got a notice from Horizon saying its been shipped.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
david5272

ordered one earlier this week, for 69 dollars and the good reviews I read on it...hard to pass on it
Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
coreman
Combatant/Target

Originally Posted by david5272 View Post
ordered one earlier this week, for 69 dollars and the good reviews I read on it...hard to pass on it
Can't go wrong for that price

Check out our selection of flat foamies, accessories and Gremlins
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSx...lzzbev551_jpmw
Old 09-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
Bill Gibson

Nice looking plane, but like the P-40, in dire need of more power or less weight, or both! The Beast with AS3X...AWESOME, but a little fragile, my second favorite plane just a tick behind the Sbach! The planes that i have that came with AS3X...i GLAD they did!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
david5272

received it last night in the mail....looks awesome. Going to take it easy and not rush flying it. Will be my first aileron plane.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
Virgil Kee

Default Micro Spitfire Mk IX BNF

After all the raves about this model, it's time to document an EXCEPTION:

My micro arrived without the battery hatch included. After two e-mails to Horizon Support, they finally understood what I was talking about and sent me the missing item.

Ready to try it out, I checked the control movements ............... the rudder would not move! I noted the generous ailerons and felt that I could fly without rudder. Mistake! .. When I tried my first hand-launch, the model traveled about six feet and began a hard snap to the left, crunching the foam spinner as well as a portion of the fuselage.

Now that the plane was no longer pristine, I tried to activate the rudder. I played with the exposed part of the rudder pushrod, trying to move it by both the TX and pulling on the pushrod. ...... What did I have to lose? Kill or cure seemed the way to go. Finally, the pushrod separated from the fuselage with a SNAP! It had been stuck to the fuse by the final clearcoat application, apparently. (I had previously complained THREE TIMES to Hobbico about the awful lack of QA on their micros.)

Now with all controls working, I again attempted to maiden the beast. The only way to fly was to climb quite high at WOT - So high that the model looked like ones we've seen so often in online videos - just a silhouette against the sky, zooming at great speed, (controlled by a delighted 3D freak),the plane showing no resemblance to the real one that it was supposed to be modelling!

Soon, on a downwind pass, the plane stopped responding to the controls, and was last seen clearing a 40-ft tree, heading into an adjacent corn field. I spent a good hour trudging through corn and grass, tall enough to restrict my view to only a few feet, and, found nothing. Two ticks, however DID find me!

I left the flying site actually relieved to be rid of this disapointing micro, reflecting on my good fortune to have two other micros that WOULD fly quite well. These are the Parkzone micro Cessna Centurion and the Flyzone micro Albatros. These not only fly very well, but in addition, will fly low and slow enough that you can enjoy their scale appearance.

BTW, I have some spare parts that Spitfire fans might like:

-1 Prop.
-3 Spinners and,
-1 spare Motor

Anyone interested, contact me at:

virgilkee@aol.com

Virg.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes

Tags
park zone , um spitfire