Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
cbinfl

Friends: (0)
Default Finished a Cub kit ...

I just finished an Alien Aircraft Piper Cub kit and thought I'd show some photos. Kit is builds easy and flying is great. Finished model weighs 18 oz. with a 1300 3s. Only changes I made were upsized the landing gear wire to 3/32" and added carbon rod braces to the stab. for looks. So far 12 flights; two cartwheels taking off in cross wind ? Tail lifts real easy and then it weathercocks into the breeze when you punch it instead of aborting. LOL. strong build cause there was no damage, (yet !). Nice wheel landings though, into the wind ...
The motor is a little oversize, 150 watts at full throttle with an 8x6 prop. Flies at 40% throttle. This is my second Alien kit and they are really nice flyers.

Charlie

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub-profile.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	156899

Name:	fwd-view.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	156900

Name:	aft-view.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	156901

Name:	Cub-engine.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	156902
Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)
Default CUB!!

Nice JOB!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
cbinfl

Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Too windy for it this am, maybe tomorrow? Two other changes i forgot to list. Made the LG 1/2" taller to deal with grass and prop clearance, and mounted the side windows inside rather than paste them on the outside as per plans. They kit has frosted plastic for the windows and maybe I should have changed that to clear ? Flew the "Hornet" 3 batteries this am. It's really good in a breeze. Clean and smooth like a mini pattern plane, but lands slow, and fairly short if there's a head wind.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Good looking bird! If she flies half as good as she looks, should be great!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Tom Herr makes nice kits that build up well. I like the little Sportster that they have also:
http://www.alienaircraft.com/k301.htm
I noticed that you have Multiplex wheels on your Cub. I was going to use them for a recent project, as the proportions were perfect for it. Them thing's ain't cheap though, and I am.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
cbinfl

The wheels are from a Multiplex Gemini that finally after 100+ flights, fell victim to my inattention. They are very light and wear very well. I guess you could say they cost me a little over $100 ...

Charlie
Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by cbinfl View Post
The wheels are from a Multiplex Gemini that finally after 100+ flights, fell victim to my inattention. They are very light and wear very well. I guess you could say they cost me a little over $100 ...

Charlie
I figured that you got them from a plane. 100+ flights isn't bad though, and its spirit still lives on in the tires. They have a light compound that doesn't wear, or flat spot from sitting like other cheapie "foam" tires.
BTW, I was just looking at my Guillows Cub that was one of my first builds, and was thinking I need a flying Cub here myself. I had it flying, but at around 9oz and 24" span, it just wasn't a very practical every day flyer.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
cbinfl

If you almost double the size of yours, this one will be very similar. Pretty light for everyday flying. 42" span and 18 oz with a 1300 battery. Super nice in still air though.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

If you almost double the size of yours, this one will be very similar. Pretty light for everyday flying. 42" span and 18 oz with a 1300 battery. Super nice in still air though.
18oz is a good weight for that size. I don't know why people use overpowered motors, and large batteries such as 2100 and larger, for a plane like this. Your 1300 is perfect for the plane, and probably gets 15 minute or longer flight times. I've usually had more than enough flying for one flight, after that amount of time.

Enlarging plans is one of my favorite build methods. I just bought a little 24" Beaver kit, and am thinking of enlarging it to roughly your size, for a scratch build.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
cbinfl

Bill, I've never been able to get long flights out of any of my planes. With the Cub I usually land at 6 min. and the battery is about 3.8 volts. Maybe I'm too conservative with the batteries, but running the down to 3.3 or 3.4 I always worry about needing to go around again. I have an 8x6 on it now and will try an 8x4 prop this coming week.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Bill, I've never been able to get long flights out of any of my planes. With the Cub I usually land at 6 min. and the battery is about 3.8 volts. Maybe I'm too conservative with the batteries, but running the down to 3.3 or 3.4 I always worry about needing to go around again. I have an 8x6 on it now and will try an 8x4 prop this coming week.
I'm conservative also. Rarely hit lvc, and really don't care to. I'm convinced your batteries will last longer. I usually find 6 minutes per flight to be more than enough. I don't think there's much that I ever fly over 8 minutes, and the 8 minute plane is one that I buddy cord with a friend, where we have it timed and know what we can get out of it. BTW, it's an old GWS Islander with an inefficient DD brushed twin setup, running 2s-1320 cells.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
cc83

looks really nice, I just have to put the wing halves together and cover my kit. so far has gone together really nicely, what did you use to cover yours? I have some cub yellow ultracote but i'm not sure if it will be too heavy. i'm thinkng about using a GH2208-17 for power that i have from a beat up foamy. it's only 100 watts though so i'm not sure if it will be too underpowered.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
cbinfl

cc83, i used Ultracote Parklite. Works well and is lighter than Ultrakote. 100 watt motor might be a little small, but it flies best in light wind so maybe not. I cut the elevator throw down to 75% and use about 30% expo. Just got back from flying it this am, four batteries. Good luck.

Charlie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft