Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Horizon Hobby Service 02-02-2012

I've got two Spektrum DX7 transmitters, and five AR7000 receivers. One DX7 is a new in box backup transmitter, and was not returned. The transmitter and most receivers are four years old, so it was time to get them to Horizon to be checked out. Below is Horizon Hobby's response, word for word.

"Dennis:
Bound your DX7 to all receivers. All receivers were tested for functions and channel output. All were found to have latest firmware. I.I (Quick connect and brown out alert). All were found to be working correctly."

"Tested transmitter functions and output signal strength. All were "OK".

"In the interest of customer and product support. No Charge."

(I did have two occasions where the DX7 screen was "reversed" on power up) "Screen reversal and flipping are caused by static discharge. This is annoying, but will not cause loss of output signal. Simply turn transmitter off and back on to clear screen." (I had done this in the field, no issues were noted at that time.)

I don't know if this is common policy for Spektrum on four year old radios, but to me, that "no charge" was impressive. Horizon Hobby even threw in return postage at no charge.

One more reason to buy name brand stuff for $$$$ models.

BTW, I mailed that radio to Horizon January 27, 2012, got it back from Horizon on February 2, 2012.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
spad

Friends: (0)

And, yet another reason not to send your dough to Hongy Kongy.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I have had similar dealings with Horizon Hobby, I bought a used 8103 with a used 2.4 module, on Ebay, then I bought a new 2.4 module with a AR7000 receiver, for my other 8103, the package price was too good to pass up. this gave me two 8103 radio systems so I could train my son in law.

In setting up a plane one night, I discovered a flaw in the design of the Spektrum modules. I documented what I found and talked to an engineer at Horizon.

Sent in both systems, first they exchanged both modules, they found the same problem. the pins in the back of the transmitter were too short to work with the Spektrum modules, so they modified both transmitters, checked all operations in both TX's checked both memory batteries, cleaned both units thoroughly even a speck of dust that was on the LCD screen when I bought the first 8103 brand new. then tested output power.
Then they sent them back NO charge.

That's why I sent my 9303 radio in today, it has a faulty left side lever control.
They told me, they are running about 4 days in house right now, then it's back to me.
For me, it's JR all the way.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
yorkiepap

Club: AMA/LHMAC
Friends: (2)

Hey guys,
I must also pass my Kudos to HH & the JR service dept. for their absolutely superb service & providing me with answers to some clarifications I did not understand. I recently sent my 10X on 1/24 for replacement of a couple switches & a service examination. I was called yesterday, 2/2, that it was done & shipped back & the charges were much, much less than I had anticipated. I was very pleased, to say the least, with the service & customer satisfaction that JR/HH provides. That is the reason I will continue supporting JR for all my needs.

Denny

* "To Be Old and Wise You Must First Be Young and Stupid." *

* "A mans' word is his honor....without honor, there is nothing." *
Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

They simply rock... A 4 year old box with no cost is just unheard of.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
spad

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I have had similar dealings with Horizon Hobby, I bought a used 8103 with a used 2.4 module, on Ebay, then I bought a new 2.4 module with a AR7000 receiver, for my other 8103, the package price was too good to pass up. this gave me two 8103 radio systems so I could train my son in law.

In setting up a plane one night, I discovered a flaw in the design of the Spektrum modules. I documented what I found and talked to an engineer at Horizon.

Sent in both systems, first they exchanged both modules, they found the same problem. the pins in the back of the transmitter were too short to work with the Spektrum modules, so they modified both transmitters, checked all operations in both TX's checked both memory batteries, cleaned both units thoroughly even a speck of dust that was on the LCD screen when I bought the first 8103 brand new. then tested output power.
Then they sent them back NO charge.

That's why I sent my 9303 radio in today, it has a faulty left side lever control.
They told me, they are running about 4 days in house right now, then it's back to me.
For me, it's JR all the way.
Hu Phlung Dung says, "We do same-you get back in 30 days."
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

When it comes to Transmitter and battery charger, Buy from reputable companies. I buy Spektrum and FMA direct respectively. They are your lifeline to the plane and safetynet to your house.

Everything else: motors/servos/batteries etc. buy what works it's all disposable stuff anyway.

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Another vote of confidence from me for Horizon also. On more than one occasion too.

I bought my son a used 9303, had some issues and sent it in. the replaced the antenna on it with no charge to include return shipping also. I made it a point to let them know I bought it used and that it was well out of warranty... No problems at all.

What led us to sending the Transmitter in is that I bought him a Radian Pro and we crashed it on the first flight out due to a lockout. We sent it in thinking it was the problem and then sent us back a brand new one and stated no problem was found with the first but the y went ahead and replaced it anyway.

Other stories too numerous to mention from encounters with the fine folks from HH that go to SEFF every year do confirm for me that these guys are A#1 in this business.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Hmmm... I've been thinking of replacing my broken flap switch myself. Maybe I should just send it in...?

AMA #959089
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
Mtrchs

They usually are free.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros