Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
jim2wright

Friends: (0)
Default Lots learned today

Have been enjoying the learning process flying the micros Champ and T-28 for a few weeks. Well, ... got my first taste of speed today as I tried to graduate to P-47 from parkzone. Hand launch went fine both times. Don't know how many time I read it, "ALTITUDE" is your friend. The thing is just so fast I had a bit of a time staying "ahead of the airplane". So I learned how to use Loctite Sumo glue on wings and some fiberglass patching on the cowling. One prop blade was bent back a little but it seemed ok when I sprung it back out a bit. Just getting it "binded" and set up so the flaps worked was a few challenges on the DX6i. One Question: Should I program this model for say +15 or so on the elevator when the flaps are switched to "land"? Seems like a good idea especially since I might be flying her around with flaps on next time. Any experience here? Next trip out should I launch her with flaps down? And try to keep her slow, or just get on with it and get used to the speed? Thanks for the help in advance guys. The thing was awesome in the air, not so cool on the cart wheel in the tall grass.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
fmw

I don't think you are ready to fuss with flaps. I would just spend some time learning when and how the model stalls and then fly it slowly. Warbirds are pretty hard to fly with some exceptions - like your T-28. My P47 doesn't seem to fly any faster than my T-28. That may not relate to yours because neither of mine have stock motors. But it is significantly harder to fly. Take your time and take it slow. Fly it onto the ground above stall speed and then cut the throttle to settle it down.

And, while you're at it, you may want to reduce your low rates a bit.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
jim2wright

Thanks for the tips. My T-28 is the ultra micro version, so this P-47 is my first "big" model. Worlds of difference! I think my nerves got to me too. The first time I flew my other two models I was a bit jumpy too. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

I tried down-elevator offset mix with flaps on my PZ Reliant. Too many variables, i.e. air speed, headwinds, flap angles, crosswinds.I do better with manual elevator stick and/or elevator trim. (I have a flap trim knob on my transmitter so I can dial in more or less flap before flight or while airborne. I only have only up/down flaps, no 1/2 flap switch position.)

For takeoffs I use moderate flap angle and hold down elevator stick then release elevator while rasing flaps. For landings, I use more flap angle and slow down to where model just maintains altitude, drop flaps and reduce throttle, nose slightly down, to let model settle on its main wheels onto the runway. Reduce throttle and let model slow until tail wheel is on ground, raise elevator to keep from nosing over and steer with tail wheel/rudder. Note how, with flaps deployed, a little increase in throttle causes model to go nose up and decrease causes nose to drop. Practice ,with safe altitude to recover from possible stalls, and experiment with differing flap angles, throttle settings, and elevator trim/manual elevator stick pressure. When ready, try short takeoffs ( moderate flap angle) , gentle touch and gos, slow fly byes, and landings (increased flap angles). Elevators and ailerons lose effectiveness at very slow speeds. Use rudder to level wings at low speeds. Aileron/rudder mix helps when using flaps to control adverse yaw, especially with high wingers. Note: If you land too slow with flaps, elevator may become ineffective and model can fall out of the air bending landing gear.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
fmw

Honestly, I've never flown an ultra micro so I can't make the comparison. In general warbirds are harder to fly because they have a higher wing loading and many of them have wings that reduce in width significantly at the tips. That makes them behave badly when they do stall. I think the P-47 is pretty typical of the breed. If you can fly it comfortably and confidently then you should be able to fly about anything.

Flaps help with the realism of the flight but aren't so critical in a model as they are in a full sized craft. Any RC model will take off and land without flaps. When flaps are deployed the plane flies differently and that just muddies the water for a beginner. Learn to land and take off without them. Then, if you add them later, you will enjoy them more.

I for one, am not fond of mixes. For me the idea is to fly the plane, not have a computer do it for me. Just trim them well and things will take care of themselves. I have used a down elevator mix with flaps on a few planes that balloon badly but, truthfully, I feel more confident when I have to hold a little down elevator for the few moments I have to fly an approach and land. If I want to land with flaps, I don't deploy them until the crosswind leg to slow down, then I turn to final with the flaps down and get into a glide path. So we're just talking about a few seconds really.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

When I try out a new plane I like to get it high then cut that power back or turn it off and see how it handles in a glide or at low power settings. Once I do this I can determine how slowly I can safely fly it, and see how it behaves when it stalls.

Until I know the low speed handling I am never comfortable. Once I know how it handles at low speed and low power settings I can get more comfortable with it.

As for flaps, yes, some down trim is usually needed with flaps. How much is a matter of experimentation. Again, do that while you are high.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Like in your first post above, remember "ALTITUDE IS YOUR FRIEND"!

Like the advice given, you try out new things way, way up there, that way if it doesn't work as planned, you have your safety cushion.

And true enough, learn the bird first, get comfortable with it as is. Then start with trying something different, one thing at a time.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners