Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
RMG

Friends: (0)
Default Motor cooling question

Hiya everyone, I am a newbie to the site, and nearly the same with RC planes in general.

I tried to fly about 15 years ago, had a ARF 40 trainer I put together, and promptly wrecked it on every flight.. lol.. it was more epoxy in the end than wood, and I stopped trying.

Recently (after getting an MCX blade as a gift).. I downloaded FMS's free flight simulator, flew about 10 hrs on it, and bought a parkzone UMP51. I have now about 40 flights on it, and crashed it once (broke the vert stab, glued it back on, carbon fiber 1mm rods and tape, now better than new). I LOVE this thing.. just wish the wind would die.. seems every morning on the way to work it's calm, in the afternoon too windy (on lunchbreak), and in the evening I get off at dark and calm again.. so no flight time.

Onto my question though... I am running 1500 Mah batteries, and have about 5. Do I need to let the planes motor cool between batteries, and how long. I do not want to burn it up any quicker than needed, but do like to fly battery after battery. Lastly.. what kind of life can I expect for the little motor in my mustang?

Thanks everyone.

Ray
Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by RMG View Post
Onto my question though... I am running 1500 Mah batteries, and have about 5. Do I need to let the planes motor cool between batteries, and how long. I do not want to burn it up any quicker than needed, but do like to fly battery after battery. Lastly.. what kind of life can I expect for the little motor in my mustang?

Thanks everyone.

Ray
You mean 150 mah batteries? Anyway, sounds like you got a good motor with fourty flights under her belt. I let the motor rest a few minutes and just run one or two of them and then, if I still wanted to fly, I'd fly another bird. I use 160 mah from Thunder Power (Hyperions are also loved) and never try to run them completely out, typically maybe five minutes and then I shut her down.

...do not let the sun go down on your anger
--Paul, in Ephesians, ch. 4
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Hiya everyone, I am a newbie to the site, and nearly the same with RC planes in general.

I tried to fly about 15 years ago, had a ARF 40 trainer I put together, and promptly wrecked it on every flight.. lol.. it was more epoxy in the end than wood, and I stopped trying.

Recently (after getting an MCX blade as a gift).. I downloaded FMS's free flight simulator, flew about 10 hrs on it, and bought a parkzone UMP51. I have now about 40 flights on it, and crashed it once (broke the vert stab, glued it back on, carbon fiber 1mm rods and tape, now better than new). I LOVE this thing.. just wish the wind would die.. seems every morning on the way to work it's calm, in the afternoon too windy (on lunchbreak), and in the evening I get off at dark and calm again.. so no flight time.

Thanks everyone.

Ray
Do you have access to one of those infra-red thermometers? Places like Harbor Freight sell them, bought mine from HF on sale for $19.95. Normally $30 or so. With this, you just aim the thing at a dull colored spot on your motor or LiPo pack and read temperature.

Anything over about 135 degrees F or so on the motor is cause for concern, anything much over something like 120F on your LiPo is again cause for concern. (135F is rather hot, touching a metal plate at this temperature will be very uncomfortable.)

If you don't overheat your motor, or crash your plane, about all that's going to quit in your motor is its bearings. And decent motors are using ball bearings on their motor shafts.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
RMG

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Sakai's Freedom Flight View Post
You mean 150 mah batteries? Anyway, sounds like you got a good motor with fourty flights under her belt. I let the motor rest a few minutes and just run one or two of them and then, if I still wanted to fly, I'd fly another bird. I use 160 mah from Thunder Power (Hyperions are also loved) and never try to run them completely out, typically maybe five minutes and then I shut her down.

Yep... sorry.. 150 mah yes. A good motor with 40 flights... now that makes me worry. I was hoping for at least 100 flights.

Kyle.. thanks, yes good idea.

WELL.... now...

went to my local hobby store.. looking around.. and they have 1 UMX Beast 3D. So the question is... do I? I have been wanting a planet to fly in windy conditions, and the videos look sick. Anyone know any real info on this plane???
Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Friends: (2)
Default Don't worry.

Yep... sorry.. 150 mah yes. A good motor with 40 flights... now that makes me worry. I was hoping for at least 100 flights.

Kyle.. thanks, yes good idea.

You might get 200 flights out of that little motor, so don't worry about that. I'm just cautious and haven't approached that number on ONE bird yet. But keep heart (and maybe order a replacement motor for worst case scenario as back-up).
Fly Onward!

...do not let the sun go down on your anger
--Paul, in Ephesians, ch. 4

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes