Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
CarreraGTSCS

Friends: (2)
Default DPC / Aerowerkes Fokker Dr1 build pics

Here are some build pics of my DPC / Aerowerkes Fokker Dr1:

Can't remember the last plane I built, that's built not assembled, it was so long ago. Took me a little bit of time staring at the plans before I got started but just like riding a bike it all came back to me.
A little about the kit. It's a full kit, not a short kit, so all of the required wood and then some is included and it's all good quality. It's a mix of 1/32", 1/16" and 1/8" and all laser cut with each part held to the carrier sheet by two 1mm tabs. Very easy to remove and the fit of the parts was very good. This is my first laser cut kit and I'm hooked. I was raised on die crushed Guillow's and Comet kits so this laser cutting is a revelation. Between laser cutting and CA glue that actually works I'm in a very happy place.
I spent an afternoon intermittently building the fuselage while working on projects in the house. If I total up the build time for the fuse it adds up to maybe an hour. I built the fuse per the plan but added the cross braces because this is going to be a flying model and if it flies well I'll be handling it a lot. She's meant to fly not sit on a shelf!
Here are some pics of the fuselage:

I built the wings this past evening. First pic is the fuse with the lower wings to test alignment. I built the lower wings first as as warm up. Very simple. Took about 15 minutes each.

The next set of photos show the two extra ribs that I cut from scrap and placed at the inboard end of the ailerons and the ailerons cut free. Note the subspar glued in place on the aft end of the cut ribs. The middle and upper wings each took about 30 to 40 minutes.

The rest of the photos show the Dr1 in the obligatory dry fit.

The main parts dispalyed:

More to follow shortly.

Mike
Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
CarreraGTSCS

* 14.75" wingspan
* Box and Former Fuselage Construction
* 2 - 11 x 17 CAD Drawn Plans Plan Sheets
* Covering Tissue
* 102 Laser Cut parts
* Laser Etched Strip Stock
* Leading edge Strip Stock
* Laser Parts ID Sheet
* Balsa built up Cowl Parts
* Laser Cut WW-1 Style wheels
* Wire for Landing gear reinforcement and axle

For laminating the rudder

My balsa soaker

Drying in place

The tail pieces

Still needs sanding

Tissue on the lower wings

Old 02-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
CarreraGTSCS

Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Club: South Jersey Silent Flyers
Friends: (73)

Subscribed Mike! I am kinda surprised you are using a brushed motor though. Any particular reason? BTW, how are you going to drive those airlerons? Marty

Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in a combat zone. Just say no to red airplanes!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
CarreraGTSCS

Hey Marty! I'm going to use PZ 1.5 or 1.7gm linear servos embedded in the wing. I'll post pics after I mount them. I need to get some nitrate dope first. I want to brush it on the entire airframe to stiffen it just like in the old days. Then I'll cover it in tissue. I've been reading up on printed tissue techniques whereby all of the markings and coloring are preprinted on the tissue before applying to the airframe. Apparently Corel Draw is a good program for that. Unfortunately I don't know anything about using it so I must learn. Have to get it first though! As for brushed vs. brushless. I don't have any micro brushed gear yet and I want to stay 1s fo this stuff.

As soon as I get the Windsock Datafile on it I'm going to work up drawings for an indoor sized AEG G.IV of about 30" span using the innards from the PZ UM Mosquito. I like building.

Mike
Old 02-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Club: South Jersey Silent Flyers
Friends: (73)

Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Hey Marty! I'm going to use PZ 1.5 or 1.7gm linear servos embedded in the wing. I'll post pics after I mount them. I need to get some nitrate dope first. I want to brush it on the entire airframe to stiffen it just like in the old days. Then I'll cover it in tissue. I've been reading up on printed tissue techniques whereby all of the markings and coloring are preprinted on the tissue before applying to the airframe. Apparently Corel Draw is a good program for that. Unfortunately I don't know anything about using it so I must learn. Have to get it first though! As for brushed vs. brushless. I don't have any micro brushed gear yet and I want to stay 1s fo this stuff.

As soon as I get the Windsock Datafile on it I'm going to work up drawings for an indoor sized AEG G.IV of about 30" span using the innards from the PZ UM Mosquito. I like building.

Mike
Excellent Mike! I thought you were up to something light in that upper wing. I also like the idea of th AEG IV. Keep me/us informed

Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in a combat zone. Just say no to red airplanes!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
CarreraGTSCS

I'm getting bummed...I bought an AEG G.IV Datafile on ebay almost two weeks ago and it's not here yet! Tracking shows it arrived in NJ on Feb 4 at the Jersey City maile center. I could have walked there and back two or three times already. Sometimes I can't figure out the USPS.

Mike
Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
degreen60
Flying Fish

Send a message via ICQ to degreen60 Send a message via Yahoo to degreen60
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
I've been reading up on printed tissue techniques whereby all of the markings and coloring are preprinted on the tissue before applying to the airframe. Apparently Corel Draw is a good program for that. Mike
I have several printed paper model DR1 files. You could enlarge one of the planes to fit this model, then print it on tissue paper. I use several free programs I got off the net to make my printed planes. Paint.net to enlarge and change the prints. PosteRazer to tile the print. PDFtojpg to change PDF files to other formats so Paint.net will work with them. If you want I can email you a list of the DR1s I have.

Now for my last stunt, a forward flip on landing.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
CarreraGTSCS

Cool. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
de.Wagen

Friends: (0)

Mike
What weight now fuselage + wings + motor ?
Thanks
Vladimir

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era