Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
View Poll Results: How many flights a day do you typically fly?
1-2 1 5.26%
3-4 5 26.32%
5-6 6 31.58%
7+ 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
bbrowncods

Club: Chesapeake Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default Flights a day?

How many flights do you typically fly during a day at the field?

I was wondering what you are limited by. For me, I am a social person so I like talking and looking at others "toys". So I typically fly only 3-5 times on a typical day. If there is someone on my channel it is usually less as I don't want to monopolize the frequency.

Now that I am switching to electric I am wondering if it would be better to just buy 5-6 battery packs and save the cost of a high C charger and associated power options (deep cycle batteries, generator, etc.), and just charge at home with a 1C AC/DC charger.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

I normally bring two batteries for my plane when I go out. I change one while I am flying the other and just change it at 1C. This is enough to keep me flying for the day and I fly just as much as when I was flying glow. Normally that about 6 or 7 flights a day if I stay out all day. I normally don't take a battery with me as the club has charging setups at the field. If I take my Super Sportster, I can get 3 normal flights on one change, since the battery is way bigger then the plane needs to fly. It just needs that big battery ti get the CG right. I also take a couple of planes so I am not flying the same one all the time, and I always have one ready to go when I am.

Ed
Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

My models are mostly 1KW and larger in size. So, having four or five LiPos on hand for a half dozen models gets to be quite a few $$$$.

So, they've all got A123 cells that can be charged at just about any rate your charger can put out. Problem is, with a 12S2P battery pack, it takes a pair of 120 Ampere Hour deep cycle lead acid batteries, and then those batteries will only last a bit more than a year.

So, went to a gasoline engine/alternator power supply!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63918

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

always take 3 planes,with 3sets of batteries[series,and parrallel] for two of the planes and 3 or 4 bateries for the smaller plane..average # of flights on a good day...6 maybe 7. sometimes only a few if it's real crowded and the conversations are good.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I'm usually limited by time, there are always other things that need doing at home. But I try to cram as much air time in as i can during the time i have at the field, i usually get 7 or so flights. With 2.4HHz frequency restrictions isn't an issue any more so the only limit is how fast i can swap over batteries!

Steve

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)