Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
planefixr

Friends: (0)
Default Hobby king customer service stinks

T purchased a Harrier EDF from HK when inventoring the contents of the box I found I was missing the canopy. I spoke with online support and was told to send pic of boxes which I did. I was then asked to send pics of whole aircraft which I did. This started on Jan. 22. They closed my complaint on Feb. 6 without telling me anything in an e-mail exept they were doing an internal investigation, I STILL DO NOT HAVE A CANOPY OR ANY IDEA IF THEY ARE GOING TO SEND ONE. IF THIS IS HOW THEY DO CUSTONER SERVICE I WILL ORDER ELSE WHERE
Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
spad

Welcome to the large (very large?) class of people who feel just as you do!

Thank God for Headsuprc.com and many others in the U.S.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

Did you buy from the most reputable supplier?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by planefixr View Post
T purchased a Harrier EDF from HK when inventoring the contents of the box I found I was missing the canopy. I spoke with online support and was told to send pic of boxes which I did. I was then asked to send pics of whole aircraft which I did. This started on Jan. 22. They closed my complaint on Feb. 6 without telling me anything in an e-mail exept they were doing an internal investigation, I STILL DO NOT HAVE A CANOPY OR ANY IDEA IF THEY ARE GOING TO SEND ONE. IF THIS IS HOW THEY DO CUSTONER SERVICE I WILL ORDER ELSE WHERE
"...doing an internal investigation," Hobby King must watch our American Court Channel. Maybe they hired some new, more aggressive lawyers. Awesome. Thanks for the heads-up, planefixr!
Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobbies, and many more companies have customer service and basic, fundamental ethics of fair play that they follow. (I do not receive any monies or products from HH or TH or anyone else; but I do stand ready and willing to learn).
God bless you and don't give up flying in liberty!

...do not let the sun go down on your anger
--Paul, in Ephesians, ch. 4
Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
spad

Egg sucking dogs are all the same: they always come back for more.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

I've done maybe a dozen orders over the last few years and have had good experiences. I've had to return things twice and had no problems. I did have to pay return shipping which i didn't like but when I look at the price/hassle ratio HK still gets alot of my business.

The times I returned stuff, I received the replacement about the time my account was updated.

That said, I've never bought an ARF. The process may be different. For a missing part, they should have dropped one in the mail for you no questions asked. Maybe you got someone hung over from Chinese New Year. Your troubles did happen to coincide with their week long celebration and that may have been an issue. I suggest you start from scratch and file a new claim and see what happens.

BTW HeadsupRC is an excellent US vendor as is Tower Hobbies.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
spad

Ah, a big ole glass of the milk of human kindness!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
startazz

Sorry for your problem with HK but i'd also like to add i've been buying from them for a couple of yeas now and have only ever had to get in touch with customer support once and that was for something very minor.

They did how ever sort my query out quite quick,i'd also like to say you caught them at one of the busiest times of the year and i'm sure if you went back to the support team you should get the out come you are wanting.

The first time i ever ordered off them it reached me with in four days to which i was well pleased as i live in the UK and i haven't looked back since.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
spad

Actually, I opine the title is a misnomer: one must first have "customer service" for it to stink.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
E-Challenged

Go cheap or used and put up with problems. Save up a little money and buy from reputable US suppliers. At least buy the from Hobby King US warehouse. HobbyKing/City uses "drop-ship" selling which adds a third party to the mix. That said, some of their cheap ARF offerings are very tempting. I saw a P-51 flying yesterday with jackscrew-operated sliding canopy and retracts that came with everything for $150. Their ARF B-17 is also very cheap and flies very nicely.

PS: Reviewers said that plastic parts on retracts are subject to easy breakage. Replacements are $36. Land with finesse!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
spad

Buy cheap, buy twice. Buy Hong Kong, buy thrice.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
NFA Fabrication

"Boo hoo, I paid nearly 10% of the average price, but I did not receive exemplary customer service. I wonder why this happened to me?" If you expect perfect customer service, buy from a known respected retailer (Tower hobbies, horizon hobby, etc.). But realize you get what you pay for in any circumstance. And I buy from HK, TH, and HH regularly, I just know what to expect, and balance it with my budget.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default maybe they are not the problem

Originally Posted by planefixr View Post
Just to add my 2 cents worth; I also bought a Harrier for the princely sum of $40.00 off HK. The freight was more than the plane, but it is a pretty big box, and besides, Australia post also charges like a wounded buffalo to send things a fraction of the distance. When I crunched the fragile nose, I contacted Guan li, the manufacturer, for spare parts. 5 emails later, still no reply except for the automated one from the office answering machine. I suspect HK may be having problems getting bits as well, or not having their calls returned. If a supplier won't play the game with the distributor, then there is not much you can do about it. I ended up making a coreflute cockpit and nose, plus my own canopy. On the up side, the Harrier was a pleasant surprise as a well behaved parkjet. In mild winds it still flies well, and is nice and big and easy to fly slow. The standard power setup is marginal though, and I shelled out some more dollars for a HET 6904 edf unit, which improved things quite markedly. If you look up my thread ' Guan li Harrier" under my Pattern 14 avatar, you can see what I've done. It is seriously fragile though, like a lot of eggshell foamies out there, but nothing that can't be improved. Seems like HK cops a bit of a flogging on Wattflyer, but I have yet to have a problem with them. Any help I can be with the Harrier, just PM me, or post on my thread. Good luck
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
startazz

Originally Posted by spad View Post
Buy cheap, buy twice. Buy Hong Kong, buy thrice.
Most of our RC products come from Hong Kong/China even the big boys like Horizon Hobby have most of there stuff made over there.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
spad

Originally Posted by startazz View Post
Most of our RC products come from Hong Kong/China even the big boys like Horizon Hobby have most of there stuff made over there.
Out of context-"from" does not mean "manufactured," but the point of sale.

Different venue, different ethics.

Love my Apple 4S, manufactured in China but "bought" in the U.S.

Know what I mean?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #16
cliffh

Geez, okay, planefixr got a raw deal. That happens with any company once in a while. I can see why he is upset.

Here are a couple of my experiences though: Once they shorted me an item. They asked me to send a photo of the package showing all items and the weight of the package. Then they sent me the missing items. No problem. Once I ordered the wrong frequency receivers by mistake. MY MISTAKE. They took them back and credited my account, no problem.

I have made over 50 orders from HobbyKing with a very high satisfaction level. Once in a while, crap happens and I wouldn't blame you for not purchasing from them again, but people shouldn't be lead to believe that their service is always lousey.

Just my experiences and 2 cents.

Oh, Tower, Hobby-Lobby, Radical rc, Heads Up rc among others are VERY good dealers also.

Fly safe and fly often

Cliff
Old 02-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Default No problems.

No problems with quality, or service.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
spad

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
No problems with quality, or service.
What service experience do you have?

Warranty claims?

Are you a reseller? (They seem to get good treatment.)
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Thumbs down How you treat of 99.99 % of their customers.

Yes. I am a reseller.

Of GOOD SERVICE & PRODUCTS !!!!!!!!!

I hope you get the same respect you are giving me.!!!!!!!!! NONE

Actually, I am a modeler.
NEVER worked a day in my life.
Born with a Silver Spoon in my mouth.
Live on the top of the hill in the most expensive house.

If they were so bad................They would be out of bussiness by now.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
spad

Yes, "they" said that about Bernard Madoff right up to the day....

Oh, and I'm the Parclete of Carborca.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #21
spad

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Whats up with the interrogation? You wouldn't give us any specifics about your HK experience.
What would you like to know?

By the way, I never answer misleading questions like, "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #22
cyclops2
Super Contributor

I now know how a Troll constantly berates everybody & anyone elses point of view that does not agree with his.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #23
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

OK guys enough. Lets just move on...
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
spad

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
I now know how a Troll constantly berates everybody & anyone elses point of view that does not agree with his.
Oh, my, what irony!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions