Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
flybuy

Friends: (0)
Default Hawk Sky Problems

New to rc planes and needing some guidence. The tail of fuslage has broken off twice. I was thinking of reinforcing with carbon rods or wood dowls. I don't think carbon rods will bend to fit form of fuslage so do you think wood dowls will be better,and if so should i put them on sides or bottom and top of fuslage toward tail of plane? Other problem i upgraded to micro jet v3 kit from grayson hobby. Kit comes with motor, esc, battery ect.Motor goes dead when going to full throttle stays off for few seconds and comes back on. This only happens at full throttle. Esc is 20amp. that came with kit. So is esc bad to small or what do you think.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by flybuy View Post
New to rc planes and needing some guidence. The tail of fuslage has broken off twice. I was thinking of reinforcing with carbon rods or wood dowls. I don't think carbon rods will bend to fit form of fuslage so do you think wood dowls will be better,and if so should i put them on sides or bottom and top of fuslage toward tail of plane? Other problem i upgraded to micro jet v3 kit from grayson hobby. Kit comes with motor, esc, battery ect.Motor goes dead when going to full throttle stays off for few seconds and comes back on. This only happens at full throttle. Esc is 20amp. that came with kit. So is esc bad to small or what do you think.
Thanks for your help.
I'd put the dowels on the sides. That's the direction the tail hitting something has the most leverage.

It's possible you are overloading the ESC and it hit's thermal shutdown. Using too large a prop could cause this problem. If you are using the right propeller (6x4 or smaller) and your wiring is sound then you may need to change the ESC timing or you could have a bad ESC.

Can you run up the motor to full throttle and hold it there without a prop?

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
flybuy

Thanks pmullen for reply. It is 6x4 prop that came with kit. How do I go about changing timing of esc. I will check when i get home to see if it will run with out prop.
Update
I did check it without prop runs fine. Put prop on and run , battery was getting warm. Esc was getting pretty hot when run at full throttle.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

if you add dowels to the tail don't forget to rebalance the plane. You will be shifting the CG to the rear and may make the plane unflyable till you rebalance it.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
flybuy

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
if you add dowels to the tail don't forget to rebalance the plane. You will be shifting the CG to the rear and may make the plane unflyable till you rebalance it.
Thanks AEAJR for reply.
I did try to fly after adding rods and rebalancing at what book calls for 58-62mm behind leading edge. It was a nightmare to keep plane in the air.Plane kept wanting to nose dive and i had to keep a lot of up elevator all the time. By balancing from original CG I had to move battery all the way to front and add weight to get plane to balance. So do you think I still need to balance from the 58-62mm point or move back a small amount maybe 65mm and balance. I guess my question is do you ever move the point back farther from what is called for in manual to obtain balance. I have read in post CG should be 1/4 to 1/3 wing width from leading edge. Old but new to flying, but trying to learn.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I think you may have not balanced at the right point. It sounds like you are super nose heavy. Recheck your balance point and your measurements.

It is also possible you have added so much weight that the plane is having trouble flying at the speed you expect. Every gram of weight increases teh wing loading. As you increase your wing loading you increase your stall speed so you have to fly faster just to stay in the air.

What was the weight of the plane before you started the modifications. Or what is the MFG stated weight.

What does it weigh now?

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
flybuy

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I think you may have not balanced at the right point. It sounds like you are super nose heavy. Recheck your balance point and your measurements.

It is also possible you have added so much weight that the plane is having trouble flying at the speed you expect. Every gram of weight increases teh wing loading. As you increase your wing loading you increase your stall speed so you have to fly faster just to stay in the air.

What was the weight of the plane before you started the modifications. Or what is the MFG stated weight.

What does it weigh now?
Original weight 600g. I don't have anyway to weight it now. You were right though it was nose heavy. I rebalanced took some weight off nose and it flew much better. Still was a little nose heavy. Will move battery back some next flight if and when I get it down out of huge pine tree. 90+ acreas pasture and i still end up in pine tree. Live and learn for me the hard way.lol
Thanks AEAR and everyone else for your help. Can't beat experience.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners