Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
jtek24
New Aviator

Friends: (2)
Default New to RC Planes

Hey RC Aviators,

Im new to this forum even though I have been checking out this forum a while now and I have decided to join since there is great information to read especially for beginners.

After reading the Everything you want to know about Electric Flight and 6 Keys to Success topics I have decided that I am going to purchase my first plane in the next few months. The 2 choices I have decided on are both foam built: (1) Great Planes Electrifly F20 Tigershark EDF Rx-R or (2) UM F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF as recommended by a Hobbytown Sales person and a RC Plane Intstructor that was in the store. I really like the TigerShark EDF a bit more and with only 3-Channels it would be the simplest even though I would have to epoxy some pieces together. I have been looking at the Spektrum DX6i as a transmitter option but since its only 3 channels needed, im not sure if I need to spend that kind of money when I'm just buying and flying one plane for now. Any advice would be helpful on these two choices. Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Old 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

Welcome to WF!!

Please get a plane that is more of a trainer and made out of EPP or some other bouncable foam. There's several threads on what planes make great trainers!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Voltron

jtel24, I don't want to come across sounding like a jerk on your first post, but I think you should do some more reading. Neither of the planes you chose are good planes for beginners. A good rule of thumb is if a plane looks really cool and looks like its going 100 mph sitting still, its not a good first plane.

An EDF is not a good first plane because of the slow throttle response. You will have enough to keep you occupied on your first flights without having to deal with that. A prop driven plane will react to your throttle input more quickly and sometime thats what you need if you get into trouble by flying too low and too slow.

You should be looking at something like a Super Cub or a Champ. Something that flies fairly slow and has a high wing with some dihedrial.

Welcome to the hobby, I wish you success with whatever you choose for a first plane.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (87)

Electric Flight and 6 Keys to Success topics,,include not getting in over your head,,trust me my friend,,this one's way over a newbies head,,,,Buy it but put it away for later when you'll have a chance of flying it,,,
I've been flying model planes for on 50 years now and though I fly Pattern and 3/D mostly my Fave plane is a three Ch super-cub that brings me much joy! Get a slower plane thats meant for beginners,,, the Hobbytown Sales person and a RC Plane Intstructor are Crazy as heck,,,,,no way you'd ever fly those as a beginner,,,sorry,,save you money and get a trainer,,bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-lp-bnf-HBZ7380
bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Voltron

Thats the ticket BubSteve. The Super Cub is a sweet little plane and a joy to fly. I've been flying RC since 1991 and U-line before that and I can still have a good time flying something like a Super Cub.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
jtek24
New Aviator

Thanks for the replies.
-I just looked at both the Champ Mini and the Super Cub Mini on Amazon and for under $100 for a RTF isn't bad at all especially since I'm just getting into RC planes. I will definitely purchase one of these this weekend and give some feedback from my experience to you all. My goal eventually is to move up to the EDF's since most Fighter Planes are offered this way and I have been a FA-18 fan...well all military fighter fan my whole life.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by jtek24 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
-I just looked at both the Champ Mini and the Super Cub Mini on Amazon and for under $100 for a RTF isn't bad at all especially since I'm just getting into RC planes. I will definitely purchase one of these this weekend and give some feedback from my experience to you all. My goal eventually is to move up to the EDF's since most Fighter Planes are offered this way and I have been a FA-18 fan...well all military fighter fan my whole life.

IMHO You were right on thinking about getting the dx6i(computer tx), at the minimum, with that tx you can expand your aircraft fleet a little after learning. Those cheap tx some are good, but if you are serious about rc, it is a good investment to get a little better tx. BTW I still use my ol dx5e(non-computer tx), some things you never grow out of.

cr
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
eliworm

Friends: (0)

Sorry, I couldn't resist the vid.

If the store and the so called person who is a RC plane intructor recommended those planes to you, I would stay away from both. Listen to the tips people have given you here, good advice.
Jim

Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
jtek24
New Aviator

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
IMHO You were right on thinking about getting the dx6i(computer tx), at the minimum, with that tx you can expand your aircraft fleet a little after learning. Those cheap tx some are good, but if you are serious about rc, it is a good investment to get a little better tx. BTW I still use my ol dx5e(non-computer tx), some things you never grow out of.

cr
I have read that some people are saying that the dx5e have a lot of issues and have lost planes because of it. Im not sure if it has to do with pilot error or not but do recommend the DX6i or higher.
I hope that the Tx in the RTF Champ or Super Cub is good enough til I can purchase a dx6i.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
jtek24
New Aviator

Originally Posted by eliworm View Post
Sorry, I couldn't resist the vid.

If the store and the so called person who is a RC plane intructor recommended those planes to you, I would stay away from both. Listen to the tips people have given you here, good advice.
Jim

That was really funny! I have seen videos like this before but never knew that RC guys had one. Im not that hard headed though. I'd rather someone tell me something worth buying that is cheap, sturdy and easy to fly as a trainer plane. Yeah having something fast is nice but crawling before I walk is fine with me. I am looking into a local club here and going to join the AMA also.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I have read that some people are saying that the dx5e have a lot of issues and have lost planes because of it. Im not sure if it has to do with pilot error or not but do recommend the DX6i or higher.
I hope that the Tx in the RTF Champ or Super Cub is good enough til I can purchase a dx6i.

I have had only one prob with a ar500 rx, but never a problem with dx5e. There are so many variables when flying or crashing a plane, sometimes it is very hard to point the finger at any one thing, especially when a human pilot is involved. I am sure that little rtf "tx" will fit your needs short term. Just be ready to relearn on a new tx. Whatever you get, just have fun with it.

Read this til your eyes hurt and look at the other stickies....tons of info here at WF.com

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

cr
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

........ The 2 choices I have decided on are both foam built: (1) Great Planes Electrifly F20 Tigershark EDF Rx-R or (2) UM F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF as recommended by a Hobbytown Sales person and a RC Plane Intstructor that was in the store.....
Sales person - well he's there to sell ..... and many shops now use inexperienced persons with reagrd to the product they are selling ...

Instructor recommended ? Sorry but that is just incredible ... sounds like a wind-up !

.... I really like the TigerShark EDF a bit more and with only 3-Channels it would be the simplest even though I would have to epoxy some pieces together.....
3 ch's but a hairy machine not to be confused with a 3ch trainer - a totally different machine.

I have been looking at the Spektrum DX6i as a transmitter option but since its only 3 channels needed, im not sure if I need to spend that kind of money when I'm just buying and flying one plane for now. Any advice would be helpful on these two choices. Thanks
A reasonable radio with multi-channels is a good buy from the start as it saves spending out again for another radio later when needs expand. 2 - 3 ch radios tend to be extremely limited and more suited to cars / boats etc. A 6ch or more is well reccomended ... and it doesn't have to be Spektrum - there are other radios out there.

But forgive me for asking - is this a real post or a wind-up ?

OH - before I forget - will the #$%^& who posted the oversize picture spread edit it to smaller to stop others from having to either zoom page down or scroll around to read posts .............

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've never had any prob's with my DX5,,good, simple,reliable as wellbubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_094.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	157388 some of my little flyer's

Monkey Minion'air
Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #16
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Chock me up as a DX5e fan too! Flawless radio but lots of good buys on DX6i radios right now and if you're going to stick with the sport, that's your sweet spot. Only settle for a DX5e if it comes with a plane you buy. Later when you buy the DX6i you can buddy box the two together for training purposes when you're ready to teach somebody else how to fly.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #17
jtek24
New Aviator

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Chock me up as a DX5e fan too! Flawless radio but lots of good buys on DX6i radios right now and if you're going to stick with the sport, that's your sweet spot. Only settle for a DX5e if it comes with a plane you buy. Later when you buy the DX6i you can buddy box the two together for training purposes when you're ready to teach somebody else how to fly.
That is really good to know now that I just found out my girlfriend wants to learn how to fly too.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #18
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Club: Georgia Mountain RC Club and Bristol Field
Friends: (0)

I recently talked to the prez of a club I intend to join. He told me to look at the planes on a few sites and tell him what I was interested in. Because of the knowledge I have aquired here and from a past club experience, I picked the Apprentice 15e. He agreed that it would be a great plane to start with. Take a look at it:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-radio-EFL2725

Everything you need to start. But, if you want to improve your chances of seccess, look for a club.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #19
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

+1 on the Apprentice, it also comes with a Dx5e.
cr
Old 02-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #20
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

jtek24-

We all have to start somewhere but I agree, going with edf's and the kick butt Stryker Q would only have you leaving the hobby very unhappy and a hole in your wallet. Both are something to aspire to along the way. I now consider myself at best, an intermediate Aviator( Go Navy) returning to the hobby last Spring after a 30 year lay-off raising girls.

Started off with the HZ-SC and have gone through several upgrades( wheels, brushless, 2.4, ailerons, etc). She's like an old friend. Putting floats on her this summer. Progressed to ailerons with the AF Cessna 182( kind of dog) then on to the PZ-T-28 which today is probably my most reliable plane in the squadron. In fact, I could have gone straight to the T-28. She's that easy to fly.

Then I got hooked on pusher parkjets and have now scratchbuilt the F4B Phantom II( Navy version), the F-22 and now the F-15 with vecored rudder thrust ( okay, one for the USAF) . Throw in the $39.00 HK Radjet for a slight taste of speed and I'm having a ball. Fly combat on Sundays with the F-22 guys at our club and it's a hoot.

I've found that building the foam park jets helps one understand the complete plane. Getting them airborne and flying them has been rewarding and has improved my aviating skills tremendously. Plus, when you do auger, and you will, it's not like you lost a $400-$500 ARF. My park jets cost me less than $50.00 to get airborne including foam, motor, esc, prop, servos, linkage, etc.

Good choice on TX though I'm a Futaba guy. I would also look at doing a few more things from my lessons learned in Electric world: 1). Get the best battery charger and power supply you can afford 2). Get a watt meter 3). Standardize on a connector type ,albeit, Deans, EC3, XT60 (if you buy alot of stuff from HK). That way, you won't have all type of different types of connectors to worrry about. 4). Get a Simulator- a must IMO, especially if you're looking to get into higher performing craft like the EDF's. Real Flight and Phoenix are good ones. Got mine off of e-bay.

When you do get to EDF's, make sure you have the field for it. Most require a long strip for landing . Few of the EDF's taxi on grass. Most everybody I've met including very experienced aviators have crashed their edf at some point.

The folks I've met here on Wattflyer have been a big help. There's a plethera of knowledge on this forum.Not a day goes by when I haven't learned something new. So, hang out with us and share your experiences.

Mostly, Have fun !

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
jtek24
New Aviator

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
jtek24-

We all have to start somewhere but I agree, going with edf's and the kick butt Stryker Q would only have you leaving the hobby very unhappy and a hole in your wallet. Both are something to aspire to along the way. I now consider myself at best, an intermediate Aviator( Go Navy) returning to the hobby last Spring after a 30 year lay-off raising girls.

Started off with the HZ-SC and have gone through several upgrades( wheels, brushless, 2.4, ailerons, etc). She's like an old friend. Putting floats on her this summer. Progressed to ailerons with the AF Cessna 182( kind of dog) then on to the PZ-T-28 which today is probably my most reliable plane in the squadron. In fact, I could have gone straight to the T-28. She's that easy to fly.

Then I got hooked on pusher parkjets and have now scratchbuilt the F4B Phantom II( Navy version), the F-22 and now the F-15 with vecored rudder thrust ( okay, one for the USAF) . Throw in the $39.00 HK Radjet for a slight taste of speed and I'm having a ball. Fly combat on Sundays with the F-22 guys at our club and it's a hoot.

I've found that building the foam park jets helps one understand the complete plane. Getting them airborne and flying them has been rewarding and has improved my aviating skills tremendously. Plus, when you do auger, and you will, it's not like you lost a $400-$500 ARF. My park jets cost me less than $50.00 to get airborne including foam, motor, esc, prop, servos, linkage, etc.

Good choice on TX though I'm a Futaba guy. I would also look at doing a few more things from my lessons learned in Electric world: 1). Get the best battery charger and power supply you can afford 2). Get a watt meter 3). Standardize on a connector type ,albeit, Deans, EC3, XT60 (if you buy alot of stuff from HK). That way, you won't have all type of different types of connectors to worrry about. 4). Get a Simulator- a must IMO, especially if you're looking to get into higher performing craft like the EDF's. Real Flight and Phoenix are good ones. Got mine off of e-bay.

When you do get to EDF's, make sure you have the field for it. Most require a long strip for landing . Few of the EDF's taxi on grass. Most everybody I've met including very experienced aviators have crashed their edf at some point.

The folks I've met here on Wattflyer have been a big help. There's a plethera of knowledge on this forum.Not a day goes by when I haven't learned something new. So, hang out with us and share your experiences.

Mostly, Have fun !

Hawk
Thanks Hawk! Raising a family is a major accomplishment that I hope to do some day, and then coming back to the hobby you enjoy is great.

Knowing that you can build foam flyers that doesn't break the bank to build is a huge plus. What's the big secret? I'm guessing when you buy the internals which should last a long time, building edf's becomes cheaper. I'm sure once a get in a lot a whole lot of flight hours inside and outside of a club setting, I will have to do my research on how to enjoy the hobby with different plane set-ups.

I am ready to have fun safely.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

you'll be tear'in up the sky in no time and fly'in all the faster cooler ones sooner than you think,,these Bub's here are (like myself) root'in for ya!!!bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Although there is a chance you could fly the Apprentice 15e as an unassisted newbie, please pay attention to a prominently displayed box message. It says that this plane is appropriate to learn with help.

That's where a club comes in. Then you can learn to fly with an instructor, who will buddy box his radio with yours. His radio has a button on it. When it's pushed, your radio is in control. But if you get in trouble, all he has to do is release the button and he's flying the plane.

Buddy boxing is a great way to start with an intermediate plane like the Apprentice and still have a nearly 100% chance of learning to fly without destroying your equipment. You will also have an experienced flier to preflight your plane to see that everything is set up correctly.

I'm a #1 guy when it comes to helping unassisted newbies learn to fly successfully. It can be done without breaking your bank account or your heart. But learning with an instructor you will have more fun, crash less, learn faster, not pick up as many bad habits and be able to start with a more advanced airplane.

Have fun!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Great post'in Rock'in,,,,Helping folks learn to fly is the funist bestist part of our sport,,,an you Da Man!!!! your Bub steve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #25
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Yea Good post RR, the easy to see(for orientation) App15e does create a big ol' hole in your wallet, but after using a simulator (not a video game) for at least a month or more even before flying, my maiden was somewhat successfull......it's just what I learned on by myself, it is definitely not the only first good trainer!!

Honestly, if I had to do it over again, I would get one of those planes without the propellor on the nose...

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Star-Elec...9592570&sr=8-1

IMHO Another "bad" thing is the App comes with a 3200mah 11.1v battery, it is too "big" of battery to fit in some of the training planes, lil more "common" size batteries like 1800 or 2200mah you will still be able to use in your upcoming aircraft purchases. It just saves you a buck or three if you can keep using the same batteries.

cr

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners