Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
DragonWeezel

Friends: (1)
Default Southern tip of Puget Sound

I live in Olympia, WA where the sound is so calm, and the space so wide open, that "NOT" flying there is difficult. I've resisted so far, but had I known of my Seawind's unfortunate winter demise, I'd have tested her out there while eating @ Anthony's Hearthfire Grill!

I'm going to be searching for this corrosionX stuff to soak my Icon A5 in, because I don't know if I can resist flying from there too much longer...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #27
Jim Casey
Seaplane Nerd

Club: Florida Float Flyers

Not hard to find:www.corrosionx.com

Old 05-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by Jim Casey View Post
Not hard to find:www.corrosionx.com
Hey jim sorry if this has already been asked but, I have a HZ Super Cub with floats and it is looking at me asking to take her out to the water. Do I need corrosionx on foam? Just unsure thanks in advance

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Jim,

I second Fish's question. We're having an AMA sanctioned float fly on June 3rd at the lake adjacent to our field. I''m bringing the HZ SC with floats and my scratchbuilt Convair Sea Dart. Not salt water, but is there a water repellent I can apply or should I wrap the electrics in plastic wrap?

I have zero experience at float flying so this will be a new adventure for me.

Thanks,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #30
Jim Casey
Seaplane Nerd

Club: Florida Float Flyers

I missed the June 3 deadline. Sorry.
most components will live if they get wet IN FRESH WATER and are carefully dried. But not the ESC. I nosed my plane over and IMMEDIATELY shut off power. Took the ESC home, removed the shrink wrap and heat sink, and let 'er dry out for a week. I plugged it in and got a loud POP and a blue-green flash. And a dent in my credit card.
Soak the ESC in CorrosionX. then do the receiver and all the connectors if you want to be careful. Servos:you can seal the cases and the shaft exit with dielectric grease, which is more effective then opening them up. If you DO open them up, Do the PC boards, but only the motor bearings with a tiny drop and stay away from the potentiometer.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #31
zoomy

Friends: (0)
Default My Icon A5 experience on Saltwater

I have about 20 flights flying off the ocean, but the last flight was a serious crash, due to aileron servo failure, due to salt water corrosion. View 2 flights here:

http://youtu.be/oHILaF2d8v4
http://youtu.be/dvVBboxYCNg

My plane is now repaired, I just need a canopy, because the original rests on the ocean floor along with its companion, a 2650mah lipo battery. Otherwise, all the floaty bits eventually returned to shore for retrieval and repair.

Viewing all the posts here, I see that some are committed to beating corrosion, and given that I live across from the beach access, with wide-open flying spaces 2 minutes from my front door, I am one of those.

Here is my plan: all male/female servo connectors will be sprayed with WD40, then wrapped in electrical tape, then sealed on each end with hot glue.

ESC goes inside a plastic bag, with one of those little gel-pack thingies, zap strapped closed with hot glue sealing each end closed.

Wing servo arms will emerge through a slitted rubber inner tube section glued to the wing undersides.

Receiver will be sprayed generously with WD40, perhaps enclosed in a bag as well. Each flight will end with a fresh water rinse.

Did I miss anything?

I'll keep updating this post...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	172111 Rudder servo relocated off floor

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	172112 fracture line on right side

Name:	c.JPG
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	172113 fracture line on left side

Name:	d.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	172114 nose also busted off in crash

Name:	e.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	172115 this is a 30 amp Turnigy Plush ESC

Name:	f.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	172116 this servo needed replacing; had a spare from my crashed Radian Pro

Name:	g.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	172117 scars from the busted nose

Name:	h.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	172118 this connection also rotted, repaired

Name:	i.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	172119 This still needs fixing

Name:	crashed plane small image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	172120 here's the retrieved parts
Old 11-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #32
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Sure is some pretty scenery ! There's also a product called corrosionx you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. Great water repellent.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #33
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Back in 1970's - I had a Sopwith Swallow plane ... flew it a few times .. and then one day was invited to a large park to fly with some friends ... near Portsmouth Harbour (UK). Took off ... fine ... but then she started to be sluggish ... so I put her into a gentle turn to bring her back for landing to see what was wrong. All was good on ground checks.
That turn developed into a lost control stall into the harbour.
A yachtsman who saw it go in ... rowed across with the model after he picked her out of the water. Thanking him - I quickly got the Rx out and rushed into the park loo's to wash the Rx under the FW tap ...

All appeared OK ... no shorts or outward signs.

Next day - I took the Rx, Servos and Tx to JR main service in Slough, and asked them to check it all over. Tx was A1OK ... but Rx was totally shot from SW corrosion and could not be saved. The servos were ballast as well.
The manager kindly offered me a discounted Rx and bag of servos which was greatly appreciated ...

End result : One large Sopwith model completely ruined - SW and balsa do not mix well. Salt kept leeching out whenever I tried repairs .. preventing glue and covering from adhering.
One Rx shot along with five 501 servos, Switch harness, Rx battery pack.

I managed to save the engine but it always needed cleaning and stripping down every so often after this.

So - if you want to fly SW - make sure all gear is sealed up against any SALT ingress ... FW is no problem as long as clean FW .. but SW is death !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #34
zoomy

Nigel, great story, but the question is, why did it get sluggish? And secondly, just to clear things up, were you flying a seaplane, or a landplane over the sea?

I hate to nitpick, but I imagine there is little resemblance between a servo, RX, TX, of 70's vintage compared to a modern digital setup...

My plastic receiver survived its dunking, and it soaked in seawater for an hour as I waited for the wing to float to shore.

Two servos succumbed though, along with the ESC.

There is a world of difference between our two planes and stories. Yours a vintage scale model made of wood and cloth, mine a modern amphibious foamie. Yours flew once over the ocean and crashed, mine made 20 flights exclusively over salt water, and ultimately crashed.

Cause of your crash: unknown
Cause of my crash: saltwater corrosion due to numerous splashy take offs and landings.

I do believe with my new plan, I will be able to achieve at least another 20 flights over the ocean. Then it will have been worth it!

I'll have to log them
Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #35
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by zoomy View Post
Nigel, great story, but the question is, why did it get sluggish?
All we can assume is that aileron servo (single to torque rods) which showed a bit slow when ground checking .. but cleared after a few stick full left / right may have been cause. She was sluggish in turns and I was using more rudder than normal.

And secondly, just to clear things up, were you flying a seaplane, or a landplane over the sea?
Landplane - but she was not supposed to be over the water - that was a result of the sluggish control.

[/quote]I hate to nitpick, but I imagine there is little resemblance between a servo, RX, TX, of 70's vintage compared to a modern digital setup...[/quote]

Actually apart from them being smaller and difference frequency ... why ? SW is SW .. it's death to electronics ... I also have yachts and its a constant battle with it.

My plastic receiver survived its dunking, and it soaked in seawater for an hour as I waited for the wing to float to shore.

Two servos succumbed though, along with the ESC.
How long before Rx gave out as well ? The first few secs are vital to get it washed out with FW ... any longer and corrosion has already started ... you may have days ... you may have months - but it will fail.

There is a world of difference between our two planes and stories. Yours a vintage scale model made of wood and cloth, mine a modern amphibious foamie. Yours flew once over the ocean and crashed, mine made 20 flights exclusively over salt water, and ultimately crashed.

Cause of your crash: unknown
Cause of my crash: saltwater corrosion due to numerous splashy take offs and landings.
So actually we are similar - you suffered SW damage .. whether it's immediate or later ...

Wood and cloth ? Little bit more than that actually ...

I do believe with my new plan, I will be able to achieve at least another 20 flights over the ocean. Then it will have been worth it!

I'll have to log them
I was one of the Marshalls at the Commemorative Schneider Trophy Event back in 1980's at Calshott Spit, UK ... we had over a hundred model Seaplanes and also 1/2, 2/3rd sized man carrying replicas.
All the models were "wood and cloth" as you put it ..

Schneider Trophy with REAL Supermarine behind it ...

Replica Supermarine giving a display ...

What I'm saying is - I am fully aware of waterborne use and how to seal up a model etc. My post was to illustrate to those contemplating SW seaplane - to be careful about where that water gets ...

I live on a wide river and I have floats etc. ready for my Cessna ... one day they will be fitted.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #36
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Has anybody tried NeverWet? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...6#.Upik_3nIDGY

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #37
zoomy

Looks messy. Also, it says "not intended for electronics"
Old 11-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #38
zoomy

OK, I'll bite... if not wood and cloth, then wood and ???

Silkspan maybe?
Old 11-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Also see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Bill,

Thanks for posting. What an outstanding product ! I don't see why it would not work with electronic stuff, the main one being the esc. Wonder what the effect might be in spraying it on the bottom of floats ?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #41
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by zoomy View Post
OK, I'll bite... if not wood and cloth, then wood and ???

Silkspan maybe?
Never heard of SOLARFILM, MONOKOTE, ECONOKOTE, and many other films in that style

SOLARTEX and various other TEX shrink materials ?

None above are cloth ....

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered