Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
skyman

Friends: (0)
Default New fpv build and questions

Allright, here's some questions for all you FPV guys.

I am planning on building a hobbyking EPP FPV set up, with their 800mw or 1500 mw tx/rx/camera kit.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5F520TVL.html

If you are not familiar with the plane, here's a link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C%5FPlane.html

I would LIKE to get a range of a mile or just a little under.

However, I will be flying on a dx6i. What receiver will give me my best chance at that kind of range? I know about UHF systems, but the problem for me is that I would not be able to install one of these on my own. I understand they require a fair bit of soldering and getting into the transmitter. Any solutions?

Im not planning on getting too fancy, so I don't think I will worry about OSD or pan and tilt.

I have heard many good things about the inverted V video TX antennas, so I think I will be purchasing one from ReadymadeRC.com.

As far as the plane goes, I plan on using a 5000 mah 3 cell for the main power, and a 1000 mah 3 cell for the video gear. I will be using this motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14847

Do you all think that will be enough power to lift both the 5000, 1000, video gear, the rest of the rc stuff, and the weight of the plane? Most peoples EPP FPVs have been coming out around 5 pounds with all their gear.

I will be using a 10 by 5 slow fly prop. Likely an APC. Nothing special.

One area of concern has been the video RX power supply. The hook up on the RX is a dc hook up, so I will likely have to buy a male DC end, and solder a female battery connector on the other end (likely JST). Not looking forward to all this soldering, as I have little to no experience at it.

I would like to keep things as plug and play as possible.

For a monitor I will probably use something like an old dvd player. No 300$ goggles for me :P.

If you have any tips or recommendations, please, fire away!

Thank you so much! -Jack

"I didn't crash... I just did an inverted nose landing!"
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
aviatordave
Super Contributor

View aviatordave's Gallery10
Club: A wooden stick used for hitting.
Send a message via Yahoo to aviatordave Send a message via Skype™ to aviatordave
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Outstanding Contributor Award  AP Contest Winner  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (29)

You may get a half mile with the DX, but that is risky. You may only get a quarter mile. Out in the boonies of IA, I got .5 miles with my DX7 and found out the hard way.

I'd buy a cheap used 72 mhz radio and use that if you dont want a UHF. Alot of people have had luck with 1 mile ranges on those old radios.

Not sure of the motor / prop combo, I havent used those. I agree with the video monitor. I used goggles in the beginning and hated every minute of them.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

Dave..

I bought the advanced set 900mz from the company you mentioned...Readymaderc. I use a 72 mhz 5 channel radio from Parkzone. The set comes plug and play, Tx runs off a 11v 3cell lipo and so does the RX. It came with a 8db ant as well as a duck ant. I bought a 9 inch monitor from them made by Pyle Audio/Video for under a hundred bucks, a very nice clear monitor with remote control. The total weight added to my Diamond 2500A by the onboard FPV was only 5.3 oz. I use a 2200ma 3 cell to run the plane. This was the original factory suggested battery. The monitor is AC/DC. I use a 1500ma 3cell lipo to power it. I don't use OSD (yet)...like you I was hopeing for 1 mile...I have reached that goal with no issues. A very nice no thrills system that you can keep adding on to. Good support from them as well, a little slow on responce, but they will answer your questions! HAVE FUN!!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
skyman

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
Dave..

I bought the advanced set 900mz from the company you mentioned...Readymaderc. I use a 72 mhz 5 channel radio from Parkzone. The set comes plug and play, Tx runs off a 11v 3cell lipo and so does the RX. It came with a 8db ant as well as a duck ant. I bought a 9 inch monitor from them made by Pyle Audio/Video for under a hundred bucks, a very nice clear monitor with remote control. The total weight added to my Diamond 2500A by the onboard FPV was only 5.3 oz. I use a 2200ma 3 cell to run the plane. This was the original factory suggested battery. The monitor is AC/DC. I use a 1500ma 3cell lipo to power it. I don't use OSD (yet)...like you I was hopeing for 1 mile...I have reached that goal with no issues. A very nice no thrills system that you can keep adding on to. Good support from them as well, a little slow on responce, but they will answer your questions! HAVE FUN!!
I took a look at the advanced set, and I'm darn near sold on it. Just have a few questions. (these questions go out to anybody if you can answer them)

How long does the included 500 mah run the camera and tx? With the 5000 mah and the motor I linked above, I'm expecting 30 minutes plus flight time, so video time would need to be high too.

Does the tx antenna that comes with the advanced set handle turns well? Like can you do a roll and still have clear video? Or should I still plan on buying the inverted V antenna?

Did the advanced kit come with cables to go from the rx to the video display?

Does the patch antenna get in your way much? Like do you feel limited on where you can fly and ect? I know I know can keep the plane near me, but I feel like I might get to following a car or bird or something and be led out of the range.

What radio are you useing? Is it the ZX10? Does it have a trainer port? What receiver are you using? Funny that a 30 dollar radio would have a mile long range and my 2.4 computer radio wouldn't even do half that

I dug around the house and found a 9 year old 4.5 inch wide and 3.25 inch tall screen with av in plugs. As far as I can tell, it doesn't cut to a blue screen the minute the video signal is weak (possibly due to when it was made?). Also found a 12v cigaret lighter power cord for it . Will this work for fpv, Or is the screen too small?

Thanks so much! Happy flying!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Its a good system

1. I don't roll the sailplane...so cant say if video misses. But the antenna sticks well above the plane, and should also on yours..so I dont think your gonna see any glitches whether its upside down or upright.

2. Yes..all cables and extra cables come with the set. Ready to go.

3. My patch is mounted about 6 inches off the ground on one of the legs to the tri-pod (by velcro). Since I launch into the wind all the time, That patch is facing in the direction Ia'm launching and flying.

4. Yes, I use the ZX10, Great radio! It does have the trainer port. I use a spotter at all times. If you do get a glitch, your spotter can point you to your plane. Again, I use a sailplane, so I am flying at very slow speeds. I use a Corona 6 channel FM receiver from Headsup RC, about 12 bucks.

5. The TV should work..It might be too heavy to mount ontop of a Tripod, Camera Tripods work really good, you can mount everything on it. I got a Black plastic rectangle trash can, lay it on its side mounted to the top of the tripod, then my monitor goes inside the trashcan, makes a nice sun blocker. You can make cardboard painted black and tape them over your screen to get the same thing. I guess you could haul a 12volt battery to power the TV. Or get one of those portable power supplies that uses Cig adaptors. As far as size of screen, I have seen some about that small, I guess its what you get use too. Hopefully its color!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Woops..called ya Dave...I forgot to answer one of your questions Jack..

They give you (2) 460ma 3cell 11.4 volt with JST connectors for the Tx and Rx. I use 800ma 3cells. The 460s seem to work well and got over 30 mins on them testing. I think the 800's would be a safer bet, and you can still keep your weight down the 800's are almost the same weight. Lots of flyers use some pretty hefty batteries on board for the tx. But again, if I loose signal, my spotter takes over or points it out to me. Most of the time, when flying in known terrain, I know exactly where the plane is, I can step back from the monitor and find the plane almost instantly....then again..Ia;m going pretty darn slow.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
skyman

Its a good system

1. I don't roll the sailplane...so cant say if video misses. But the antenna sticks well above the plane, and should also on yours..so I dont think your gonna see any glitches whether its upside down or upright.

2. Yes..all cables and extra cables come with the set. Ready to go.

3. My patch is mounted about 6 inches off the ground on one of the legs to the tri-pod (by velcro). Since I launch into the wind all the time, That patch is facing in the direction Ia'm launching and flying.

4. Yes, I use the ZX10, Great radio! It does have the trainer port. I use a spotter at all times. If you do get a glitch, your spotter can point you to your plane. Again, I use a sailplane, so I am flying at very slow speeds. I use a Corona 6 channel FM receiver from Headsup RC, about 12 bucks.

5. The TV should work..It might be too heavy to mount ontop of a Tripod, Camera Tripods work really good, you can mount everything on it. I got a Black plastic rectangle trash can, lay it on its side mounted to the top of the tripod, then my monitor goes inside the trashcan, makes a nice sun blocker. You can make cardboard painted black and tape them over your screen to get the same thing. I guess you could haul a 12volt battery to power the TV. Or get one of those portable power supplies that uses Cig adaptors. As far as size of screen, I have seen some about that small, I guess its what you get use too. Hopefully its color!
Ok, thanks! Just a little more on antennas. With the patch antenna, does anything in front of you have signal, and as long as you don't go behind or directly beside yourself your safe? Does this make sense. Or is it more limited to a small path that you can almost only fly one line out and turn around and do the same line back?

No rolls with the sail plane, but how about normal bank and yank turns? Do you feel completely confident in your video when you make steep banked turns?

Thanks! The info I have gotten on here has been a real life saver!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

The patch has a angle left and right, up and down...line of site is the best way to describe it. I don't have the degrees of the spread with me, others might know exactly what the degree spread is. But, Its pretty broad. I get a very good signal. I keep the patch aimed slightly up. When I fly about 85/90 degrees from the patch forward direction, I start getting a scratchy signal, so its time to turn around. I have done some steep banks into thermals never lost a signal...not even a hint. The duck antenna that comes with the RX will give you more of a 360 signal, but it is limited...not nearly the range as the patch.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
skyman

The patch has a angle left and right, up and down...line of site is the best way to describe it. I don't have the degrees of the spread with me, others might know exactly what the degree spread is. But, Its pretty broad. I get a very good signal. I keep the patch aimed slightly up. When I fly about 85/90 degrees from the patch forward direction, I start getting a scratchy signal, so its time to turn around. I have done some steep banks into thermals never lost a signal...not even a hint. The duck antenna that comes with the RX will give you more of a 360 signal, but it is limited...not nearly the range as the patch.
Ok, great! Thanks so much! I'll probably have more questions as I get my parts and such, but as of now, I think i'm ready to order!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Great!! just let me know!! Good luck!! As I said before a pretty good starter package, and you can surely add on ODS later. I am having fun with mine, and spring and summer will be even more fun!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
skyman

Ok, heres one. I have flown 2.4 my entire rc career, and i'm new to this 72mhz stuff. With the receiver and transmitter you listed (the crona RS610 and the 5ch ZX10) what crystal set are you using? Will any crystal set work? Link for one that would work please!

Lol I feel like a noob for asking that but then again, I am new to it!

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

it takes the micro/mini crystal...plenty of freqs to choose from:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ALS/Categories
of course you would match the crystal that comes with the FM Tx...which BTW is a standard crystal..bigger.So, any 72 MHZ FM TX you get..just match the freq it came with.
I'll answer anything I can, there are some really advanced pilots on here that have all the bells and whistles. But, I think they tend to stay away from biginners on starter systems. I had to read tons of info to get me started. So, ask away!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #13
skyman

Ok, so your saying I should order my TX first, see what frequency it is, and then order an rx crystal?

Also, I found these in the parts box. They appear to be a 72mhz tx rx matching crystal set. Do they look like they would work with the RS610 and ZX10?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2012-02-21 at 21.09.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	157515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2012-02-21 at 21.09 #2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	157516  

Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #14
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

The TX will work in most all 72 MHZ TX...the RX crystal will not work in the mini Rx....it looks like a channel 30? So you could just order a mini 30 to match the 30 TX....when you order the Rx.

Just replace the crystal that comes with the new TX. You can also find used 72 MHZ FMs on here...I see them for sale alot.

Either way, you can later order the the Rx crystal that comes with the TX you buy. That way you'll have two freqs to use. I have never had any issues with Corona RX;s good range and tough.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
skyman

Alright, great! I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up that parkzone radio though.

http://www.amazon.com/ParkZone-Trans.../dp/B000OPVM0S

If you say you get a mile out of that TX with the corona RS610, then that's what I'm buying! With this equipment (advanced set with patch antenna, zx10, rs610) have you ever gotten much past a mile? I wonder if I could safely push it to 1.5 miles

Old 02-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #16
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I printed out a google earth map with quarter mile marks on it from the point of where i set my tripod up. . I flew to the mile mark visually via the FPV cam...might have been slightly short of it, when I turned, but I had perfect reception. I was also about 800-900 feet high. My brother had visual on it via binoculars, so I wasnt to concerned. Next outing, i will be pushing it a little farther. Iam flying in some pretty remote areas.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #17
skyman

I printed out a google earth map with quarter mile marks on it from the point of where i set my tripod up. . I flew to the mile mark visually via the FPV cam...might have been slightly short of it, when I turned, but I had perfect reception. I was also about 800-900 feet high. My brother had visual on it via binoculars, so I wasnt to concerned. Next outing, i will be pushing it a little farther. Iam flying in some pretty remote areas.

WOW! Thats awesome! When I get mine built, I will keep you posted on my records, being that we will have the same radio gear. As far as planes go, the epp fpv is a fair bit bigger than your plane, with nearly a 6 ft wingspan. I got to thinking about this, and decided that the motor I had originally planed to use would not have enough power for the 4lb rtf weight. The motor I had first planned on using pulls 350W. My carbon z yak weighs about 4lbs, and it pulls 600W. Then agian, that thing has unlimited vertical . Either way, I decided I will use this motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14342

Pulls 550W (46 amps) with a 5 by 10. I don't know how that translates to power output in weight, but it sure looks good on paper!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #18
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Great..looking forward to it. You can always private message as well.
Here is my platform. Shes 8 feet!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond2500A.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	157518  
Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
skyman

Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #20
skyman

Great..looking forward to it. You can always private message as well.
Here is my platform. Shes 8 feet!
Oh cool! For some reason I had it in my head you where using an easystar. My brain likes to play tricks on me like that . Anyway, I cant thank you enough for all your help! You have gotten me into fpv! Thanked in all your posts .

Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
skyman

Got my equipment ordered !

I decided to go with the VEE TX antenna after all. I saw the flight test on the episode on antennas and they said it could help me get some extra range as well as a stronger signal around obstacles and during banks .

Something about the frequencies being tuned to exactly the same channel (910mhz in my case) gives more more range. With the ducky antenna it's just tuned at 900mhz so although it will work with 910mhz, its not as good of a connection.

Anyway, I'm still wondering about my 9 year old 3.25 by 4 inch screen. Mostly about the size. If I was to get a monitor, it would be the 9 inch one at readymade rc. I really don't want to get into more soldering as far as having to make an adapter between the barrel plug and the lipo plug for a new screen though. Do you guys know if readymade RC sell me one pre made? I have a 12 volt car plug to barrel plug cord for this old monitor, I wonder If it would work for a new monitor too .

Build photos are to come as soon as the plane get's here and I can start working on it!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I would suggest the new monitor..its reaally a nice one..it comes with power cord and a cig adapter, remote control...and a stand that can screw off and on..it has a SD reader and a USB reader built in..so...you can use this thing for alot. I watch alot of my videos on it because its so clear. I think you will like flying with a 9" screen too. I took the CIG adapter cord that came with it, and soldered a Deans connector to fit my 3cell 11v lipos. It seems to run just fine on a 22oo ma.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #23
skyman

Lol 2200 seems a little overkill! Then again, better safe than sorry! I'm glad to hear it comes with all that. Does it have recording capabilities? I was just wondering since you mentioned the SD card and such.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

The SD and USB is for plug in and play..no recording.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #25
skyman

The SD and USB is for plug in and play..no recording.
Okay, thanks. I really won't need to record for a while anyway, because i'll just be getting used to flying the plane, which probably wouldn't make for too good of video.

Starting off i'll just stay in sight, and just glance down to fly by the screen as I feel comfortable. For this kind of flying, should I use the ducky rx antenna since I won't be flying to far away? I thought the patch might have a very narrow signal beam up close, and the circle of signal that the ducky gives you might be better for staying near and learning. Am I correct about the patch having a very narrow beam when close, or do you still have signal anywhere in the area that you are facing?

Also, I hear some people like to have their patch antennas as close to the ground as possible. How do you mount yours? Are you supposed to have them near the ground?

As usual, thanks so much!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography