Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #26
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

If your going to stay close say 100 yards or more ..the duck ant. Will be fine. You can get use to the system. I would do some nice easy patterns. I had a friend view the first flight while I kept visual the entire time, he was able to watch the flight and report to me when he saw interference or anything unusual. This also gave me the time to see how the plane flew with the gear onboard. I place the patch about 6 inches off the ground attached to my tripod leg, Its facing up slightly. I have had no signal issues at all. Of course, the more 90 degrees I get to the patch, the more signal loss. When I am close and about to land, I go visual, that way I can come from behind and land in the wind. The signal going out from the patch is narrow, but it opens up pretty wide out in front of me. Then again, I launch the sailplane straight out and up...so I am in the band all the time. If the wind would ever die down here, I would go out and get some better info for you, but its been impossible for awhile now. Just make sure you have someone with you to either spot or watch the monitor. Just makes better sense.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
skyman

Friends: (0)

Yeah. I know what you mean, I could really stand for some nice flying weather around here too. Oh well, i'll stay busy, as I have a plane to build and set up! Really looking forward to flying it!

"I didn't crash... I just did an inverted nose landing!"
Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
skyman

Got my video equipment yesterday, and just got in from testing it. I had my ground station set up on my porch, and a friend took the camera and tx for a drive. Once he got to about the end of my driveway, I lost signal. He drove to about a tenth of a mile away, got out, and held up the tx and camera, while I tried adjusting the patch sometimes I would manage to get it, but it was very un-relabel. So my question is, which way does the signal come out of the patch? Does it come out where the wire goes in, or does it come from the opposite side? Does it come from the right or left side? I'm confused.

There are also many other variables that could explain the poor range such as...

I thought the signal could be affected because the tx and camera where below the ground station (my house is on a hill) and perhaps the signal was going right above it.

There where also lots of obstacles in the way (trees, houses, poles and roof of my porch, ect.)

Being inside the car also probably stopped the signal, but as I said, my friend did get out with the gear....

Thanks, and happy flying!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #29
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Range will surely be affected by obsticles, buildings, powerlines etc. I would go to a field and do your test. I fly from a pretty good size school yard. It is surrounded by homes on all borders, and of course the school is on one border. My mean sea level average is about 200+ feet....so no hills.

The patch should be about 5-6 inches off the ground, but I have seen some that mount it higher. Keep it low. I place the coax cable so that it is at the top. This will get you the right arrangement. Make sure it is facing slightly upwards.

A picture of a setup by BRACKY72 he actually put his on a motor to turn it. Not a bad idea..but I dont need it. You can see how is sits with the coax cable is at the top.

Some testing with the angle is a good idea. There is a sweet spot. But it will depend on your area around you. Also, make sure you test the Rx with the ducky antenna..you might be surprised at the range and coverage. You can mount it high off the ground. See which one you like. It just happens that I get better range with my patch.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #30
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Patch,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	157743
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #31
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Forgot to mention also......make sure your Tx stays cool..meaning air going over it. They build up heat fast an need air over them to stay cool. So, don't hook up and just let it sit there. Probably will not break it..but you will arn sure loose range on it...!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #32
skyman

Great! Thanks. I had my patch sitting flat like an idiot XD. I will test with the ducky, but if you get much better range with your patch, and we have the same gear, i'm sure I will too.

So say i'm flying, about 3/4 of a mile out, and I cross some power lines from above. Will that cut my signal?

The place I will do most of my flying at has power lines along the runway, but they will usually be behind the patch. Will they still mess with it?

Also, after the TX cools down, will you re-gain your range? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but my TX has gotten pretty warm, and I'm just making sure I haven't ruined it!

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #33
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I have never had any issues with phone lines (cable Tv lines etc) the only time I had an issue was around the big multi powerlines that run through the landscapes. It really caused some brown out.

I really don't know how long you can have the Tx on with no movement, I was told by a few other FPV pilots that over time, they will loose range if they get too hot. My Tx gets warm as well, even after a long flight, but I am not going to see how hot it will get just sitting around..LOL. I will take what these guys told me as fact! As soon as I land I turn the Tx off first thing.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
skyman

Ok, thanks. I haven't had my TX on for more than 10 minutes without airflow, and it wasn't just crazy hot, so I think I should be ok. I'll be sure not to run it without airflow anymore though.

My plane should be here soon !

Happy flying!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #35
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Good luck! Let us know how it goes! Alot of experimenting for you to do, but its fun! LATER!!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #36
skyman

Hmm, I found a little issue with the camera. Indoors, everything is great, however when I step outside, it's so bright everything is almost completely white. I even turned the brightness on the camera and the brightness on the monitor all the way down. Did you ever have an issue with this?

-Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #37
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

No I have not had that issue. Fly a pattern with the cam on....have someone else watch the monitor while you fly eyes on. See if the cam adjust to the light as your flying. If it dosnt adjust, I would email them and ask questions! or even call them.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #38
skyman

Okay, cool. Your right, it might just need time to adjust. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #39
skyman

I have just been informed by someone at HobbyKing my plane and the electronics for it should be here within the coming week! Can't wait! Until then, I would like to focus on making a box for the ground station like the one you showed in the picture above. Would that happen to be your nifty little contraption?

I mostly want to get one built so that I will have something to mount the patch to. Otherwise I will just be propping it up against something, and I don't want to risk it falling over during flight.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #40
skyman

UPDATE:

The plane plane and all equipment arrived a while back. I have been working on the plane, and it is coming along quite nicely! I have it all structurally built, with control surfaces linked up to the servos as well. All that is left to do is to put the electronics in it, and install the FPV gear . Getting so close I can almost taste it!

Anyway, I came across a little bit of encouragement for us

Same 8 dbi patch, same 500mw tx.

He is also using the same vee antenna as me. (this is the guy that made my vee)

You really should look into a vee tx antenna, a lot of people seem to really like them! Cheap to make or buy as well!

Anyway, do you think the ZX10 could make it 2 miles? Or will we just have to find out?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I will have to look into the antenna. My ducky on my TX seems to be pushing the signal just fine. I have no way of recording my flights, which by the way, have been chasing thermals, so I have been up high more than out and away. I just bought a EASYCAP video/audio grabber from Amazon.com and will now record the flights on my laptop. I will post it when it happens...hope it works ok. My 8db patch is having no problems right now, been getting a fairly good picture on my 9 inch monitor.
Going to experiment with the ducky antenna on the receiver this weekend and see what king of signal I get. Weather depending.
Happy Flying.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #42
skyman

Oh cool! Let me know what kind of performance you get on the ducky from the rx!

Also, does the easycap allow you to use your laptop as a monitor to fly by?

And if your interested in the inverted vee antenna, here is some info.

You can buy it from readymaderc for 15$ here

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=302

If you buy it from them, it will come specially tuned for 910mhz. What our exact frequencies are. The ducky antenna sacrifices video quality and signal range to be able to work with a wide variety of frequencies around 900mhz. Because the vee is specifically made to work with 910mhz, it gives a much better over all video quality and range.

All of the readymaderc vees are build by the designer and creator of the antenna, ibcrazy (his rcgroups name)

Due to the design of the vee, polarization is less of an issue than it is with duckys. Just meaning that you will in general have a stronger signal during steep banks and aerobatics than you would with a ducky.

There are two ways to mount the antenna, one giving stronger signal during steep banks and aerobatics, and one providing a strong signal for the return trip of a long range fpv flight.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #43
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Outstanding...I'll order one!

I would think ( I have not hooked it up yet) since it shows on the screen exactly what the monitor is showing...and recording only when you click record, that you could use it that way! When not recording, the video is still there.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #44
skyman

If you would like any info on how to mount the antenna when it arrives, let me know. I can post some pictures showing how if you like. Or you could always just go look at ibcrazy's thread on rcgroups about it. However it took me a bit of research to fully understand it.

And if I could use it that way, I think I might just pick one up! Saves me the 100 bucks I would spend on a monitor! I do plan to buy a fatshark video goggle system, but I would like to learn by flying on a monitor. That way I will be able to glance back and forth if I need to.

I still have the issue with insane brightness that I spoke of earlier. I am currently working with readymaderc's customer support to try and see what the problem is. :/

Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #45
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I guess I have bad credit....tried twice to order the antenna, but it was denied! I might have buoght one too many SE5's.

Here is a pic of my 4 dollar trashcan from walmart. Makes a great sun shield. If you make a slot on the bottom, you can slide it forward and back.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image04142012230949.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	159246

Name:	Image04142012231149.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	159247
Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #46
skyman

Clever design! Unfortunately, the brightness issue has to do with the camera taking in too much light, not the light hitting my monitor . Sorry to hear about the order rejection! Hope you get that sorted out!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #47
flybuy

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
I guess I have bad credit....tried twice to order the antenna, but it was denied! I might have buoght one too many SE5's.

Here is a pic of my 4 dollar trashcan from walmart. Makes a great sun shield. If you make a slot on the bottom, you can slide it forward and back.
Hope you don,t mind my butting in but sure like the trash can idea. I did read somewhere, someone else had same problem with ready made rc. Best i recall it had something to do with card company.

I have a system orderd from rmrc. Seems fpv equipment sells out as soon as suppliers get it in. Had to order a plane , and of course it is back ordered to.
But I am in no hurry. Still reading and trying to soak in just some of the information about FPV.

Happy Flying
Mike
Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #48
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Welcome to the FPV world.....I think you will enjoy it. I am not in it full tilt, just have a simple system mounted on a Diamond 2500A. Maybe someday get a OSD. As a real pilot for many years, FPV is pretty darn cool...just need a rumble seat for more feeling! But I must admit, its a whole lot of fun. Good luck getting your system!
Not sure what happened to my credit card order, had the card for over 15 years and order stuff almost daily. So, I am thinking its their site.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #49
flybuy

Thats neat being a pilot before hand. Probably makes it a little easier flying FPV for you.

I am really not very good at rc flying yet.I Have a large field behind my house to fly in when i get the time. I have a hawksky I am learning to fly with. It is a pretty good glider if you can catch the wind just right. Only once so far have i really got it right ,started about 300ft cut motor went almost out of sight no motor used at all. Altimeter registered a little over 1500 ft when i brought it down.

As far as fpv i went ahead and ordered osd with gps. Will probably not use it to start. To much information to try to digest and fly plane to. I Just went ahead and bit the bullet and got it as an add on. I am sure i will end up needing something else before all is said and done.
I ordered a skywalker v5 for Fpv plane. May be like starting over again flying a new type of plane.
You Might send ready made an email to get card straightened out. I have ordered a couple of things from them the altimeter being one. Really fast service on in stock items.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #50
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Well, get use to your new plane..fly it a couple of times with FPV onboard but not running...just see how she reacts, check CG. Then, make a flight with it on, have your son watch the monitor while you fly..and have him report to you what he is seeing, and how its responding to what your doing. Pinch yourself not to go look at the monitor. lol
Then swap out, you launch and fly by monitor and have son spot for you....can your son fly rc's?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography