Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > AMA and Informal Clubs > AMA Clubs > AMA District ll Clubs > New York
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

Club: Long Island Foam Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default Long Island Foam Flyers - new electric RC airplane club in Suffolk & Nassau County NY

We'd like to introduce ourselves, the Long Island Foam Flyers - http://www.lifoamflyers.com

We are a small new RC club specifically for foam electric airplanes. We fly out of Suffolk county and Nassau county in Long Island, NY. We do most of our flying out of several public flying fields in NY state parks (Sunken Meadow, Heckscher, Bethpage).

As I mentioned, we fly primarily foam and electric RC planes... we are very laid back, and have no fees that are paid to the club (permit fees go directly to the state). There aren't any mandatory meetings, and any meetings we choose to have are held at the field prior to flying.

Our site is populated with some information we think is useful and helpful to those looking to get into electric RC airplanes. We welcome beginners and think we can provide a good deal of help to anyone who is seeking it.

Visit us on the web at
http://lifoamflyers.com
Don't forget to visit our forum!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

I know this forum subsection doesn't get used much, but I figured a small update might be in order...

We are working on expanding the rights of your casual RC flyer (i.e. park pilot types), and are trying to provide the resources and support so that more individuals can easily use public flying fields - whether they are a member of our club or not. We feel that the existing infrastructure makes it too difficult for individual to fly with friends or at several different locations.

We'd like to see reciprocal agreements between AMA clubs across long island, specifically for allowing members of other clubs to have access to the proper permits to fly at their fields. Thanks to the openness of the NYS parks, our club has the ability to fly at four wonderful locations - Sunken Meadow, Bethpage, Heckscher and Nissequogue. We'd welcome other clubs to join our members as they fly at these various locations, and encourage them to apply for the proper permits from the state. We'd like to see the same gesture made by other clubs. We feel that individuals shouldn't have to be the members of six different clubs just to have a choice on their flying location, or be able to meet up with their buddies. In fact, we feel this turns a lot of people away from the flying field altogether.

In other news, we've switched our primary domain name to something more search friendly. You can now also find us at http://www.LongIslandElectricRCairplanes.com . You will always be able to get to our site by typing in the old address, but the above URL will be what is displayed in the search engines.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I am a member of the Long Island Silent Flyers, a glider club in Syosset. www.lisf.org

I will take a look at your web site.

Former President, LISF
Former President, Eastern Soaring League

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I am a member of the Long Island Silent Flyers, a glider club in Syosset. www.lisf.org

I will take a look at your web site.
Hi, thanks for the email and the introduction! Its nice to see another club active on the interwebs
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I fly mostly gliders, as you would expect, being a member of a glider club. But I also have a number of electric airplanes and might be interested in flying with you some time.

I visited your web site. I tried to register for the Forums but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

I fly mostly gliders, as you would expect, being a member of a glider club. But I also have a number of electric airplanes and might be interested in flying with you some time.

I visited your web site. I tried to register for the Forums but can't seem to figure out how to do it.
I think it might be fixed.. It has to do with a recent domain change ( we recently added http://www.longislandelectricrcairplanes.com/ ).. forgot to change a few things on the message board. I'm glad you caught the error, as I only did this yesterday.

We definitely welcome other people joining us while we fly. We are making our best attempt to be open and accommodating to all. As I mentioned in my email, we don't really have any members that fly gliders, but if anyone expresses an interest in them I will certainly direct them to your club..

Long Island Foam Flyers - Foam / Electric RC Airplane Club
http://www.longislandelectricrcairplanes.com/
http://www.lifoamflyers.com/
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
Ahmed

I really like the concept of your club. I live in the Bronx but work in LI. I was looking for a place to fly after work when it starts getting dark later, but didn't want to have to belong to another club. (I already belong to 2 clubs in Rockland County). I just got the permit to fly at Cedar Creek park. Is that permit good for any of the other sites?
I haven't been there yet, but I know 2 clubs fly out of there but you don't have to belong to a club to use the field.
If you guys fly after work, I'll fly with you guys sooner or later.

AEAJR: I also enjoy flying my Radian Pro. I was looking at your club, but wanted to have more options to fly different stuff. I might visit one afternoon in the summer if that's ok.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I really like the concept of your club. I live in the Bronx but work in LI. I was looking for a place to fly after work when it starts getting dark later, but didn't want to have to belong to another club. (I already belong to 2 clubs in Rockland County). I just got the permit to fly at Cedar Creek park. Is that permit good for any of the other sites?
I haven't been there yet, but I know 2 clubs fly out of there but you don't have to belong to a club to use the field.
If you guys fly after work, I'll fly with you guys sooner or later.

AEAJR: I also enjoy flying my Radian Pro. I was looking at your club, but wanted to have more options to fly different stuff. I might visit one afternoon in the summer if that's ok.
Hi Ahmed,

Glad to hear you are interested. Cedar Creek is run by Nassau County, and they run things separately from the state parks. Its a little annoying how the park systems work - I have the Empire pass which lets you enter and park for free in all NYS parks, but there is a separate pass for all Nassau County parks... They have different rules and restrictions, and the process for the permits and pilots cards are different between the two.

As with Nassau county parks, the NYS ones require a permit for each individual park...

As long as you get a permit, you will always be welcome to fly with us. We don't have a set schedule yet, and we are just flying informally whenever we get the chance... at least until spring rolls around.. If you are interested, our website will be listing our scheduled outings in a month or two..

Feel free to contact me if you'd like any more information.. have a good one!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by liff View Post
I think it might be fixed.. It has to do with a recent domain change ( we recently added http://www.longislandelectricrcairplanes.com/ ).. forgot to change a few things on the message board. I'm glad you caught the error, as I only did this yesterday.

We definitely welcome other people joining us while we fly. We are making our best attempt to be open and accommodating to all. As I mentioned in my email, we don't really have any members that fly gliders, but if anyone expresses an interest in them I will certainly direct them to your club..
Yes, forum registration works now.

If I come to fly with you I will bring electric launched foam gliders as well as foam planes.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

Yes, forum registration works now.

If I come to fly with you I will bring electric launched foam gliders as well as foam planes.
Sure thing. In all honesty, the parks are accessible to everyone, and you are free to fly any types of planes. We would still welcome the company.

Since we are a foam/electric club, our personal focus will be specifically on those type of planes. Our main motivation for creating the club was because we observed the number of people, who seem to be like us, typically choose to fly alone (and outside of normal flying fields). We felt our type of club structure and attitude might be able to give these park flyers a place they'd feel at home... but we are definitely in favor of sharing the skies with other types of flyers as well.

Our access to these fields are by no means exclusive, and you will find quite a few different clubs and types of planes also flying at these locations... so its not like anyone will be out of place.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
Daso

Originally Posted by liff View Post
We'd like to introduce ourselves, the Long Island Foam Flyers - http://www.lifoamflyers.com

We are a small new RC club specifically for foam electric airplanes. We fly out of Suffolk county and Nassau county in Long Island, NY. We do most of our flying out of several public flying fields in NY state parks (Sunken Meadow, Heckscher, Bethpage).

As I mentioned, we fly primarily foam and electric RC planes... we are very laid back, and have no fees that are paid to the club (permit fees go directly to the state). There aren't any mandatory meetings, and any meetings we choose to have are held at the field prior to flying.

Our site is populated with some information we think is useful and helpful to those looking to get into electric RC airplanes. We welcome beginners and think we can provide a good deal of help to anyone who is seeking it.

Visit us on the web at
http://lifoamflyers.com
Don't forget to visit our forum!
You guys have a great website. Very nicely done and very friendly and helpful to novices. Wish I had seen it earlier. Hope to make it over from Manhattan one day if possible.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > AMA and Informal Clubs > AMA Clubs > AMA District ll Clubs > New York