Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
golfryan

Friends: (0)
Default Motor shaft problems

detrum bm2815a-kv 1100 Im trying to find specs on the motor and cant find them any anywhere. Broke the shaft off and hopefully can just replace the shaft but don't know what size it is. Hasn't even had a maiden flight on it just taxied it into a wall. I cant get the shaft out its almost like its pressed into the housing took out the set screw and the c-clip and it wont budge, any suggestions. There is a little shaft left just wondering if I could put a spinner collet onto it but i don't know the shaft size and its hard to measure 3.5 mm or 4mm
Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Borrow a mic or something. You can get them at harbor freight for around $20 every once in a while. You could also try to compare drill bits in mm sizes. One thing to look out for, 3mm and 4mm shafts are pretty common, but there is also a 1/8" size. Which comes to 3.16mm.

I would assume as long as you had a pretty good idea how long the shaft is, and the size, you should be able to get one in a close enough size that it won't matter. If. Your using a prop adaptar, you can cut off any threads, or extra length. Some shafts have a flat spot in the shaft where the set screw goes, so you should get yours out before you order a new one.

I would try contacting the manufacturer. If they can't tell you or carry parts, I would move onto another manufacturer. Heads up rc sells many different motors. I would figre out how much you plane weighs flying weight, weigh your old motor. Go to heads up and find one that has as much or more thrust then the weight of the plane, and works with your battery and speed control. Every motor I have bought comes with connectors, if they are not the same size as what you have.

Customer service is a service. Getting a $100 package from florida to utah in two days for $5 shipping is good service.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by golfryan View Post
detrum bm2815a-kv 1100 Im trying to find specs on the motor and cant find them any anywhere. Broke the shaft off and hopefully can just replace the shaft but don't know what size it is. Hasn't even had a maiden flight on it just taxied it into a wall. I cant get the shaft out its almost like its pressed into the housing took out the set screw and the c-clip and it wont budge, any suggestions. There is a little shaft left just wondering if I could put a spinner collet onto it but i don't know the shaft size and its hard to measure 3.5 mm or 4mm
Yup
Pick up a digital caliper or similar. Harbor freight has one that reads decimals, millimeters, AND inches and fractions, like 2 5/32 inches directly.

And, if you can't find shafting material, check out:
http://www.speedymetals.com/s-18-o-1-metric.aspx

Prices are reasonable, but shipping is likely to cost more than the cost of the material. I just bought an aluminum sheet from there, 6 inches wide, 12 inches long, and 3/8 inch thick for a gas engine / 12 Volt DC alternator rebuild project in the next few weeks. The engine will be a Harbor Freight 212 cc engine that is going on sale on March 9.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Dont even hassel trying to fix the motor, its not worth it, these brushless motors are throw away motors, if they get hurt/ Damaged, just toss them out and get a new motor, your motor looks like a average everyday 2830 1100KV motor, if your in the USA, check out heads up rc,
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor-1.9/Detail

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12921

$9.56 not even worth trying to fix

and stay away from Walls LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Or throw and extra $1.95 at it and get a new shaft with your next order, then you have two identical working motors. If your newer at flying you will go through a couple props and shafts. I wouldn't throw $10-20 away everytime I bent a shaft. Although I do have to admit I have about 8 motors sitting in a bag.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
golfryan

Friends: (0)

So I got the size figured out, and I want to buy a new shaft but can't get this one out it almost seems pressed in any ideas??
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

So I got the size figured out, and I want to buy a new shaft but can't get this one out it almost seems pressed in any ideas??
Dont Fight it, Buy another Cheapy motor and keep your sanity

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
startazz

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Dont Fight it, Buy another Cheapy motor and keep your sanity
Yep i'm with Chellie on this one mate,just go over to Hobbyking or who ever and order another motor as it won't brake the bank and like some one else said remember to order two motors or one motor and a couple of extra shafts.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

On a brushless outrunner the shaft is typically held to the rotating part with not only one or two setscrews but also the shaft is a press-fit into the rotating part. Usually a drill-press used as an arbor press will supply enough force to press out the shaft.

It's easiest to remove the shaft and rotating part from the non-rotating part and then remove the shaft from the rotating part.

I agree that you need to weigh the time, effort and economics involved (as suggested in other posts), but there is also value in learning to fix things on something cheap where the cost-of-failure (screwing up) is low. 10 bucks on a new motor and ordering a shaft would probably be the way I'd do it, you get nailed on shipping so bad may as well make the charge worthwhile.

Dave
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Agreed, motor should go into the spare parts bin.

Like Dave said, if you want to learn how to do it, then by all means go for it.

Just be very careful pressing out the shaft from the bell. Do it wrong and yes you will get the shaft out, but you can just as easily bend/distort the bell.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Agreed, motor should go into the spare parts bin.

Like Dave said, if you want to learn how to do it, then by all means go for it.

Just be very careful pressing out the shaft from the bell. Do it wrong and yes you will get the shaft out, but you can just as easily bend/distort the bell.
Been there done that with a 'go brushless' motor. The bell got bent, and it took a lot of fooling around with it in my lathe with a dial indicator to get it straight again. Never was as good as when it was brand new.

DennyV
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I just grabbed the new shaft, lined it up with the old one and tapped it out with a hammer. Just hit it once or twice until the shaft slides enough to get a grip on. When you can get the c-clip off the back, grab some plyers and be done. It took me all of two seconds, and I didn't bent anything. My first motor I think I went through two plastic motor mounts, about 6 shafts, one aluminium motor mount, two fuse's and about 15 props before replacing the motor. The motor backed out of the motor mount on take off, prop hit the motor mount and ripped all of thebwires out of the back of the motor. This entire time, I spent $12 on shafts, $11 on motor mounts, and $2 on shipping. So I guess I could have replaced my motor about 10 times instead.

I also could have saved myself quite a bit of time by going to a prop saver or prop adaptar. Since stepping up to my 4mm shaft and a prop adaptar instead of a long 3mm threaded shaft, I have broken one 4mm shaft on a full power dive. My shaft has been slightly wobbly, but I have nosed thi one down probably 15 times without any real damage.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Oh Dear ... so all those shafts I have pressed out and replaced are worthless ?

To original poster .... the shaft is usually a very tight fit and needs "drifting out" by using the old shaft piece you have or a broken drill bit end ... Be careful that you don't damage the bell that shaft is tight in.

I have replaced shafts in $5 motors even ... when replacement shafts are less than a $1 ...

I have a micro-caliper that cost me about $5 in local hardware shop ... it's accurate enough to tell me a 3.17mm or 3mm shaft etc. etc.

Go for it ... why not ?

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I have a micro-caliper that cost me about $5 in local hardware shop ... it's accurate enough to tell me a 3.17mm or 3mm shaft etc. etc.

Go for it ... why not ?
For the USA readers, check out Harbor Freights Digital caliper Cen-Tech #97675. This unit reads to 0.001 by 1/2 thousands. Also reads inches and fractions of an inch like 1 and 71/128 of an inch plus the usual metric readouts. They don't always have them in stock, but they're worth trying to locate one or a similar unit.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions