Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Justus

Friends: (0)
Default hobbywing flyfun esc wont power up rx. just beeps

Somebody help. I just soldered the bullets onto my hobbywing 40a esc. For 64mm edf 5000kv 1300 4s. Plugged it in and it initially beeps a few times then just a consistant single beep interval. My rx does not light up or anything. I tried it on my Dx7 then to uncomplicate I switched to my tactic four channel. No bec No program card. Did I overheat the esc with my soldering iron ? 60w
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I doubt you could have over heated the ESC with a 60w iron, unless you cut the leads to about 1/4", so my first guess is your throttle control is on high.
If the stick is in the lower or off position then check if you have a reversing switch on the throttle channel.

Many ESC's use the high stick position to go into programming mode. some of mine will make the sounds you describe.

You can check the transmitter by using a different plane or speed control.

Let us know what you find, and we'll go from there.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Justus

Well I was able to try another esc and without fail I was able to turn the break on and off properly the first try. I am a novice. I managed to set up my Dx7 for three planes without a manual. It's gotta be something I'm just not stumbling across. Scratching my head ..... Now remember my rx is not powering up, no light. But my other esc powers up my rx even without a motor. I spent many hours and combinations on this esc.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
cliffh

Are you talking about the same receiver? Are you saying that the receiver works with one esc, but the same receiver does not work with the second esc? If so, you most likely just have a bad esc. Sometimes they just don't work.

If you are talking about 2 different receivers, don't forget to rebind!

I would recheck my solder connections...do them over again. You didn't overheat it, but you might just have a bad connection. Another possibility is that a wire broke on the esc from handling.

Cliff
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Justus

Yes the same tactic set up works on another proven esc. Brake on brake off. I'll try resoldering and let u know. I emailed hobbywing support to see what they say. Shall keep you updated. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

Are you sure you don't have the Opto (i.e. no BEC) version of that ESC ?

Steve
Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
Justus

I DO have the opto !!!! No bec. Help.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

You will need to buy a UBEC to use that ESC I have had great results with the ones from HURC. The UBEC will supply the power to the RX and power the servos so you can use that ESC.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...p-3-Amp/Detail
Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
Justus

Wow. Ok. Thank-you So much. I don't need a UBEC though. It's just more weight and wiring. Next time ill be sure NOT to buy an opto. But I will have to buy one for this esc. Any suggestions for set up on 64mm EDF ? I wanna push 100mph 4s. I have a Stinger 64. I just bought a 5000kv motor
Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Just curious, How long have you been flying RC airplanes?
Do you have other experiences with EDF planes?

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Justus

Two years. This is my first edf. Flew it twice and it was slightly underpowered.I normally stick to plug n play versions. Naturally I'm a Extra 300 sport flyer. I fly a little bit of everything. Just ordered 2 sbach 342's.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #12
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

You can use a 4 cell NiCad or NeMah battery until your UBEC comes in if you have room to put it in the plane. Just plug the battery into an unused port or come off with a Y on something to get power to the receiver. You just need a 600MAh battery or something like that. It doesn't have to be a big one. That will be enough to power the receiver and servos for a couple flights anyway and then recharge it if need be. It depends on how much you are pulling out of that battery in flight. Some planes you can get 4 or 5 flights with a small battery.

Ed
Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Justus

Thanks ed ! I was wondering about adding a battery but rather not worth the risk. I do have a 700mah 2 cell. Or maybe a three cell 500mah. Would these work ?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Thanks ed ! I was wondering about adding a battery but rather not worth the risk. I do have a 700mah 2 cell. Or maybe a three cell 500mah. Would these work ?
No .... they are higher voltage as Lipo's than Rx can handle.

It needs to be maximum 6V ... preferably a 4.8v pack ....

I have a tiny 250mAh NiMH pack at 4.8v that came out of a supermarket twin motor job ... I fitted a JR style plug to it anmd it now provides bench test power for Rx's ... A 250mAh pack like that will give enough normal sport 3 - 4ch flying on average foamy for about 2 - 3 decent flights. It will go longer but safety is the reqt and not to push the pack too low.

You can also get hold of a 4 cell battery holder for AAA size NiMH and use that. I have various size battery packs of 4.8V in AAA, AA size ... all from battery holders, NiMH batterys inserted, taped up to make sure batterys stay in place ... JR leads coming of. Better than soldered up packs as you can replace 1 or other batterys when they fail ... etc.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Yes you can use it IF you use a UBEC with it or some other kind of voltage regulator, but then if you had a UBEC, you wouldn't need it to begin with. No, the battery I was talking about is a NiCad or NeMah 4 cell battery like the old batteries we used to use in our glow engine days when we didn't have all these fancy batteries we have now. What you are looking for is a 4.8 Volt (4 cell) or 6 volt (5 cell) battery, not a LiPo battery. A LiPo runs 3.7 volts per cell, so a two cell battery will be 7.2 volts and while some servos and receivers can handle that, not all of them can and you will burn them up. A 3 cell battery is 11.1 volts and that will burn out almost every receiver out there. I think there are a couple that will handle that, but most won't. Some servos can't handle 6 volts without burning up, so you kind of have to watch that too. Safe bet is to just get a 500MAh 4 cell (4.8V) battery and fly on that.

Ed

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions