Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)
Default Aluminum finishes

I like to finish my war birds in natural aluminum sometimes but there is no really great options for restored aluminum.

Restored full scale warbirds in natural aluminum often have a highly polished "chrome" look after they are clear coated.

I tried some Ultracote (not Parklite) "Chrome" to get that fully restored & clear coated shinny aluminum finish and I have to say I was disappointed. Parklite is my favorite material but it does not come in "chrome". Here are the problems I had:

1. It does not shrink well.
2. It shows every scratch even if they came in the finish (not much could be done about this though).
3. Using a heat gun will blush the material and it will look terrible.

The "Silver" Parklite & standard Ultracote look similar to aged aluminum kind of between really shinny and dull weathered.

Parklite seems to have very few issues. It shrinks like crazy, doesn't distort light structures and is just generally easy to work with. The only thing I struggle with is the base is so tough that even a brand new X-Acto knife doesn't cut it well. I have to run my knife over a leather strop with aluminum oxide powder to get a clean cut.

The only options for metal like finishes I can find are:

1. Ultracote silver and chrome
2. Ultracote Parklite silver
3. Other brands of silver/chrome
4. Doculam with Testor's metalizer (paint adhesion issues & masking problems though)
5. Stick-on aluminum sheets like Dyna-skin (only work for big sheeted and/or glassed finishes).

I would be interested in any other methods to acheive a durable, decent looking bare aluminum effect.

Dave

"Gravity: Natures way of telling you to watch your airspeed"
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

Chrome spray paint?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
StephenW

Club: President of the West Sydney Slope Soarers President New South Wales Slope Soaring Association
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (3)

If I want it to look like ally I use ally .006" lithographic plate.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6316.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	158038

Name:	DSCF6315.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	158039

Name:	DSCF6320.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	158040

Name:	DSCF6319.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	158041
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
payne9999

Looks like your calipers are measuring .0006" (less than 1/1000, 6/10,000). Where do you get the plates?

Dave

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
StephenW

Club: President of the West Sydney Slope Soarers President New South Wales Slope Soaring Association
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

There is a decimal point after the first zero as on all digital calipers ,and to get the plate just go to your nearest printer and ask for some use litho plate,they are usually only to happy to give it to you.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
payne9999

Didn't see the decimal point and forgot about leading zeros, but I am still using vernier calipers black boards and slide rules.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
StephenW

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

yeah you need it in case you want to measure bigger than 0.999"

BTW I use normal mic's, verniers ,height gauges ,bore gauges, thread gauges,Theodolites and Laser trackers and slide rules
Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default chrome packing tape

I picked up some chrome packing tape from Canterbury Sailaplanes in N.Z. So far I have only used it minimally for flashing and orientation strips on my combat planes, but it is very durable, and shrinks well with a heat gun without losing colour. It does take practice though, to get a good finish. Alternatively, Ed Clayton AKA "flite metal" sells his unique aluminium finish in the U.S, so it may be an idea to contact him...good luck
Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Oracal 351 http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...4-96-DC304.jpg

http://www.oracal.com/products/produ...D=178&tabID=md

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
payne9999

Nice, that is a beautiful DC-3 finish. That's what i was after! If that is your plane how did it go on around the compound curves? Easy to apply?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Nice, that is a beautiful DC-3 finish. That's what i was after! If that is your plane how did it go on around the compound curves? Easy to apply?

Thanks,

Dave
That's not mine, mine don't look that good. But I've been experimenting with it. It's self adhesive so it works over foam. Adds a lot of tensile strength to foam. It has a slight amount of stretch that can be improved a bit with heat (hair dryer, not heat gun). The fillets on the model shown were done with many pieces. If you work within the panel lines of the full sized aircraft (if you are doing a scale model) you'll be fine. It's light, similar to iron on films.

It will highlight any imperfections so you either have to tolerate it or prep the surface as you would for a glossy paint job. Work in a surgically clean space!

The Oracal website lists distributors, there are vendors on ebay that sell smaller cuts. Oracal 352 can be printed on. I'm tempted to buy a roll to see if I can print decals directly on it and then use it to cover.

BTW, I think Dyna skin is Oracal 351

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Club: Fort Bend R/C
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (5)

Pattern,

Thank you for the plug...we ship worldwide to world champions. Payne, I am surprised you did not do a Google during your
search for a natural aluminum finish. Nothing looks better than the "Real Thing". Below a short what and how-to: will show
how is applied properly. This is our 12th year of providing the "Real Thing" to competitive flying scale
modelers worldwide.

Nothing speaks louder of successful utilization than our customers witnessing it... .

Ed Clayman
"Flite-Metal For The Look Of The Real Thing"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft