Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)
Default Lanyu Me109 rebuild

Following on from my Ultimate Biplane rebuild .... the Lanyu Me109 ( TW749 ) .... all foam parkflyer.

This has been a favourite of mine for more than a year, but dubbed the "Banana" in it's latter period, due to the repairs and general out of alignment the numerous repairs created. Even with hot-water, heat-gun, all means to keep as straight as possible - the foam was weak and slightest knock would collapse the cells and back to square, actually should say bent, one ...

Here's the model before serious problems :

This is what I have now after her last vertical dive into the ground, believed caused by the failure of the fuselage in it's weakest area over the wing seat ...

Wing is fine ...

Some close-ups of the fuselage ..

As you can see this is going to be a serious project to rebuild. The front section that has broken away will be constructed from my favourite pink builders closed celll foam. A strong and sandable / carvable foam that is much better than the styrofoam of the original model.

Until I actually get knife and parts in hand to start ... I have idea to cut back the rear part of fuselage over the wing seat to create a scarf joint to join in the new. But before that - I shall lightly fix the old parts together to give me the wing seat shape to draw onto card.... for marking out new foam.
There will be a bamboo skewer inserted across the joints to brace and strengthen.
Motor mount will be rear pole type instead of the beam mount of the brushed version I had.

I hope people can follow this thread and if anything I do leads to others saving a model from the bin - putting it back in the air ... that's great.
I have a limited budget - I'm reconstructiing a 100yr old house - so economic flying is a must for me....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

OH boy, that is a project. I, for one, will be watching to se if you can make a silk purse out of a pigs ear! GOOD LUCK!
Don
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

It will take a bit of thinking while working - but that's how I work and I have a knack for sorting as I go. I also have ability to mentally view ways to fix something and what I think will be result ...

Lets see what comes .....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sorry but rebuild will be delayed a bit while that annoyance called work interferes for couple of weeks. At least it will give me time to think it through.
so till later ....

Old 03-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
dkrhardy

OMG! WORK? I just recently retired, again, and forever. 44 yrs of air traffic control ... I'm done!
Don
Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Marc

Club: indie & occasional trespasser
Friends: (0)

I think my balsa planes are often more repairable. I admire your determination, but for me it would be the trash can. I'll follow this thread to see what happens. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I think my balsa planes are often more repairable. I admire your determination, but for me it would be the trash can. I'll follow this thread to see what happens. Good luck.

The Me109 I agree looks a real mess and initial reaction is "bin it" .... but when you look closer and consider it - with foam it's not such a big deal.
The wing seat is still there to copy when pieces are married together. Ignore the front end - the wing seat is important.
Total length of fuselage is easy to determine. General shape as well.
My thoughts are to cut a single block for the whole new section with hot-wire cutter. Not as in my Ultimate where I used my bench jigsaw to make blocks.
Once the wing seat form is cut - I then longitudinally horizontal cut the block. This allows me to then hollow out battery, ESC areas. The lower block then cut vertically to divide for sides of wing seat with of course material removed inside.
Basically I reckon to rebuild by creating a box structure. I will insert basswood spars into the length and across the spliced joint. These will also provide anchor for the motor mount as I did in the Ultimate, spreading the load into the airframe.
Biggest headache will be the cowl, as the original has a permanent surround to the motor, a real pain ! My idea is to cut this area of the above block, use cocktail stick pegs and magnets to align / hold in place around the rear star mount motor.... a 2610 200W RC Timer B/L ... on 3S.
Once I get back from assignment .... the thread will be livened up with photos / text of the rebuild.
I hope it inspires others to not give up on a model when it seems it's a bag of rubbish. There is always hope ... just needs a little thinking outside the norm !

Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
dkrhardy

If you toss it, it is gone. If you rebuild it and it does not fly, same thing. BUT, there is a chance that your mad skills will let it fly again. Nothing ventured ... nothing gained. Go for it.
Don
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Mad skills?
Interesting - I took it as my cheapskate nature! My wife reckons I am worlds biggest scrooge!
I always find it hard to give in, to bin something without at least trying. As you say, if it flies then i gain, if it doesnt then nothing lost.
I'll have a good try before I give up though.
Nigel

Old 03-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
dkrhardy

Good on ya, mate!
Don
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
Marc

Club: indie & occasional trespasser
Friends: (0)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankenstein.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	158169
The X-Acto knife, Egor.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Attachment 158169
The X-Acto knife, Egor.
I hope my efforts can be a bit more pleasing to the eye than Frankenstein !

X-Acto ........... I had one of their early knife sets with various handles etc. Included a razor saw .....

Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
dkrhardy

I have a wing, not used at the moment, that I call the Frankenwing. That is a good thing, it works!
Don
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Go for it Nigel! I really enjoyed your Ultimate repair and you'll sort this out too.
Foam is actually so easy to repair isn't it? Best example I saw was a club mate who totaled his Art Tech P-51, collected all the pieces of foam into a bag and took them home. I know this guy is an amazing scratch builder in his own right but even I was surprised when he carefully assembled all the pieces using white wood glue ( which did dry) and a few pieces of scrap foam and some spackle.
It looked fantastic, almost like new, and flew very well indeed.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

White wood glue - PVA is actually a very good glue and vastly under-rated for our hobby. In wood bashing days - it was the glue to use to avoid weight build up and have a joint that wasn't rock hard like epoxy / CA.
I buy it in DIY shops in a litre size, sold for furniture assembly.

It's also the 'liquid' that builders use to seal plaster work / walls before covering etc. It's a marvelous glue.

Only problem is drying time as it is an evaporating format. But wipe of excess with damp rag etc.

The ME109 will be rebuilt .. just got to get home again from another assignment ! Seems as soon as I have a project - I'm away again.

Motor - RCTimer is waiting ... 8x6 props on the bench ... motor mount ready ... servos / Rx all there ... just needs the airframe.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nigel, I couldn't agree more. Evostick Resin W wood glue has been my glue of choice from my early balsa building days so when I started scratchbuilding from EPS foam I naturally used it. It actually has a quite rapid setting time and when used with granular foam it sets in depth very well.
One tip I saw on a TV modelling programme years ago was to use wood glue to join balsa and then to apply a drop of cyano to the joint after positioning it into place. The idea was that you can then carry on building as the cyano holds the parts together while the wood glue sets to give a good joint.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The Ca trick has to be used carefully as I use it in fact. But you have to make sure the drop of CA is tiny so that it only tacks the end. Too much and it sets the glue further in the joint and makes it a hard lump that sticks to nothing ! I know to my misfortune.

The CA trick works with any glue joint in fact ... epoxy, PVA, Elmers, etc.

The best and most economic PVA is like I say - furniture glue from local DIY shop ... you can even buy it in gallon plastic containers !

Cheers
Nigel

Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Barry ... "Evostick Resin W wood glue" .. that's not PVA ?

Remember I live in Latvia and PVA is PVA ...........

Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nigel, I copied this from the Manufacturer's Description;-

"Evostik Resin 'W' Wood Adhesive

Product Description
A one-part PVA emulsion adhesive with exceptional bond strength, specially developed for wood. Suitable for all softwoods and hardwoods. For interior use. "

According to them it is PVA but if you mean that it's not available in Latvia and non specific builders PVA is all that is available then I bet it works just as well as I've used similar glue with no worries..
Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Excellent ... it was the 'Resin' part of the title that threw me.

I like the Interior use only ... how often do we inflict unsuitable weather on our models ?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Good point Nigel! There is an exterior version which is more expensive so I'm too tight to buy it.
Would do so if I was building a flying boat though!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Good point Nigel! There is an exterior version which is more expensive so I'm too tight to buy it.
Would do so if I was building a flying boat though!
Once painted / covered would it really matter ?

Boats used to be built in Cascamite ... then they came out with Cascover resin ...

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Spot on Nigel, 21 years ago I built a couple of RC yachts using balsa construction, PVA glue and covered them in dope and tissue before painting with enamel paints. They survived many outings on the sea.
The kids have long grown up but the yachts are still in one piece.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Spot on Nigel, 21 years ago I built a couple of RC yachts using balsa construction, PVA glue and covered them in dope and tissue before painting with enamel paints. They survived many outings on the sea.
The kids have long grown up but the yachts are still in one piece.
With my backgarden onto the river and private moorings ... a yacht would be nice, I mean smaller than the 4 I have now !

2 soviet speedboats on shore ..

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions