Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
mmmatthew

Friends: (0)
Default Break in brushed stock motor and stock nimh at the same time (cycle)?

Hi all, first time post. I've looked all over and don't know if I've seen this answered for me so here goes: I just bought a Wing Dragon 4 from Nitroplanes and want to cycle the stock nimh battery as suggested by many of you. As well, I'd like to break in the stock brushed motor, and was wondering if I could (after the initial loooong nimh charge), run the motor (no prop) till the battery runs out? I've seen it suggested to hook up a couple AA batteries to the motor and run it dry or in water, as well as the initial cycling of the stock (new) nimh battery, but haven't seen it suggested doing both at the same time. If not, how do I run down the new battery after the first looong charge? Just let it sit? I understand that to do it right I need to cycle the new nimh 2-3 times. But other than running the motor, how would I do that? Hook up a couple flashlight bulbs the the battery? Thanks for any help, and sorry if I overlooked an obvious answer. I got divorced recently, and am wanting to dive into something (rc flight) as a distraction from the stress of this last year. Can't wait to get into the air, but don't want to waste the motor or battery, even if they are crap/stock. I've got a new brushless on the way (and esc), but want to train a bit on the stock setup.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by mmmatthew View Post
Hi all, first time post. I've looked all over and don't know if I've seen this answered for me so here goes: I just bought a Wing Dragon 4 from Nitroplanes and want to cycle the stock nimh battery as suggested by many of you. As well, I'd like to break in the stock brushed motor, and was wondering if I could (after the initial loooong nimh charge), run the motor (no prop) till the battery runs out? I've seen it suggested to hook up a couple AA batteries to the motor and run it dry or in water, as well as the initial cycling of the stock (new) nimh battery, but haven't seen it suggested doing both at the same time. If not, how do I run down the new battery after the first looong charge? Just let it sit? I understand that to do it right I need to cycle the new nimh 2-3 times. But other than running the motor, how would I do that? Hook up a couple flashlight bulbs the the battery? Thanks for any help, and sorry if I overlooked an obvious answer. I got divorced recently, and am wanting to dive into something (rc flight) as a distraction from the stress of this last year. Can't wait to get into the air, but don't want to waste the motor or battery, even if they are crap/stock. I've got a new brushless on the way (and esc), but want to train a bit on the stock setup.
Hi Dont worry about breaking in a brush motor, just go fly it, dont worry about breaking in the nimh batteries too, just go fly them, dont drain the battery down to far at first, flying does not put the strain on a motor as a rc car does. and no break in is really needed IMHO.

I hope this does not upset you, but the way i break in a brush motor and nimh battery, is to put them in a brown paper bag, and Toss them in the round file then i go and buy a brushless motor and Lipos Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Having flown a brushed and NiMh Wingdragon 4 as Chellie says just go and fly it.
My first flight was quite short. Not because I crashed or anything, simply that as I had not crashed I wanted to stop while I was ahead.

It is pretty forgiving and not exactly over powered in the stock set up but it does exactly was it says on the box!

3 years later I still have it (and fly it) although now rather heavily modified with a good bit Less weight, a lot more power and 3 times the endurance.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions