Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
svo

Friends: (0)
Default Modified GWS Slow Stick, My latest build...

Here are a few pics of my latest slow stick build...

Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

What is your flying weight? Looks like a larger battery, how big? I like the micro servo's set in the tail. How did cutting down the elevator stab effect things? Do the trap door alerons work okay? With all that extra weight, have you braced or strengthened your wing at all?

Love the retracts. I have more questions then comments. I'm working on making my slow stick a mini ultra slow stick by using the wing off of my mini ultra stick.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

Very interesting! Counter rotating props. Neat option. Why did you do that? Just to see how they worked?

Frank

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
svo

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
What is your flying weight? Looks like a larger battery, how big? I like the micro servo's set in the tail. How did cutting down the elevator stab effect things? Do the trap door alerons work okay? With all that extra weight, have you braced or strengthened your wing at all?

Love the retracts. I have more questions then comments. I'm working on making my slow stick a mini ultra slow stick by using the wing off of my mini ultra stick.
Some friends and myself have been messing with slow sticks,...modifying them and trying differnt things. combat them with each other etc.

This one has not been flown yet. Just finished it up and got it all programmed into the radio today.

Have not weighed it, It is a tad on the heavy side. I do not think it is as heavy as my night flying slow stick.
It should fly very well,....depending on how the swept wing works.
The tail should be fine,..the horizontal stab is swept also and hingeline recut. If you look close,. you can see where the original hinge line for the elevator is.

The larger ailerons work very well. I do that on all my slow sticks. Also program flaps into them.

The wing has been cut in half and sectioned for sweep,.
It is then put back together and built like normal.

I used drywall mesh on the bottom center section and tacked down with CA,..then a very thin coat of gorilla glue and smooothed out.

Makes for a very strong center section. then added a short carbon tube spar.

Will fly this on a 2200mAh lipo.

Heres a link to some pics of my other slow sticks.
http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/a...Slow%20Sticks/

My other blue slow stick is my night flyer,..it has a Hacker 30-28s and I run 2200 mAh battery on that.

The yellow on has a park 450 and run 1300mAh battery on that one.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

When I get my slow stick put back together I think I will need to get some pictures. This picture answered many of my questions. Thanks.

On my ss I was running a 1800mah battery, and head up 450 sport motor. I could get an honest 45 to probably an hour and a half depending on how I was flying. I could get an hour of flight time doing just touch and goes. My flying weight was 23-24 ounces. I tried a 2200mah battery, but it folded my landing gear badly, and when I got into trouble or showed off, I was afraid of my wings folding, even with the bracing I added.

What does sweeping the wings back do for the flight charecteristics(sp?)? I may copy how you did your aleroins. I debated on doing it for about a year, even bought another kit for the wings, but decided to move on to a different airplane.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
svo

The stock landing gear setup will fold easily and you will hit the prop on harder landings.
I tend to do that a LOT with my yellow SS with the park 450. Loops too low etc..
On my blue night flyer, I have the Millineum RC gear on it, and I am a little more careful with the hard landings.

As for Aileron size,. I would make them at least the size of the yellow wing here. They are cut on the stock lines, but just extended to about the full length of the wing.
This works very well and makes the plane a whole lot more manuverable and responsive. the rest of the wing is built as normal, although I did add carbon strips to the trailing edge of the wing. I found that doing this does not really help anything. The wings will still flap if the plane goes too fast.
Also I ran 2 strips of Scotch Extreme packaging tape the full length of the wing on the bottom side.
I've pulled on this plane very hard,..loops dives etc and have not folded the wing yet.
Thats running a 1300 mAh pack.

The ailerons on the blue night flying plane are done the same way, but cut about 1/4" deeper. and also the wingtips cut off. this is even more responsive and works very well. although it does have a weak spot where the ailerons end.
you can see in the pic where the wing did fold on this plane and has been repaired.
It took a pretty good dive + about half throttle+ lots of up elevator, and it folded.
Not suprised because this one has a hacker 30/28 and a 2200 mAh battery. lots of power so throttle control is a must.

Here is a video of this plane before I turned it into a night flyer. It was pretty windy this day.

It now has LEDs all over it and also a spotlight which is on a seperate channel. it is heavy but with the hacker motor, it is no problem at all.

The elevators are stock size, and I dont believe making the rudder bigger helps anything. The stock size/shaped rudder/elevatror seems to be as effective as it needs to be. Just use LOTS of control throws and some expo.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
svo

As far as sweeping the wing back and how it works on these planes, I have no idea yet.

I was going to maiden the new plane today but the wind was to crazy.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

After realizing my mini ultra stick was a bit much for my second airplane, I decided I need a couple more floaters. A slow stick would fit right in with my alpha 450 sport. Just need to feel good about taking an airplane home in one peice for a while. I am actually thinking going to build another kit in addition to fixing my old one, and getting the mini ultra wing setup on one instead of cutting in aleroins so I have a stock wing to fall back on, just in case.

My old setup I had it so I could do a full throttle dive into loops, hard banking, anything I wanted without worrying too much. On the most extreams, it would flex slightly, but I added dowel bracing from a kite my 3 year old broke. It worked well, but one day I was flying on a windy day, and a storm front passed over. I had to keep almost full throttle and full down on it to keep it in the feild and get it close to the ground. While I was 10 feet off the ground, the wing split from right against the fuse, to the last inch or two of the aleroin cut out. At the time I was flying 3 or 4 hours a day, rain or shine. I though I was ready for a better plane, but now I miss flying for more then 10 minutes at a time.

Having alerons has spoiled me though. I'm thinking about using some fiberglass tape and 30 minute epoxy to re-enforce the center section, cut out the strip to the wingtip like you have, and get some better looking smaller diameter dowels to brace the wing, leading and right before the aleroins.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
svo

We abuse the hell out of them. no need to over engineer it.

My blue wing snapped when I had let an unexperienced friend fly it. he got disoriented and went upside down, rolled it back out while in a dive,.paniced and slammed in all the elevator without cutting back on throttle.

It is a much better performing plane with the big ailerons.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Awesome setup, I would like to hear a flight report.

Part of the reson I am excited to get my slow stick going again, I was using an old fm radio. No expo, no flaps or mixing or anything. Half the reason I was aleroins is to play with flaps. One thing I used to do with my plane was to get it as high as possible. Then hold full up elevator it it to act as flaps. It would move through the airslow enough the prop wouldn't spin.

I'm thinking maybe we should make a new slow stick thread, so we don't have to run through 10 years of posts to find a single picture.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
svo

Flaps work well although I dont use them much at all now,..the plane really dont need them,...but if you get a nice calm day,..set in a little flaps and just putt around.

it does not take very much flap either. Too much and it acts all weird.

Also you can couple the ailerons with the elevator so it will turn even tighter loops.
A friend did this to his. ive not had desire to do it to mine.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
svo

Just maidened this plane and WOW it flew VERY nice. Very little trim needed. It really suprised me how gentle it flys.

A slow plane with plenty of power and sounds like a ducted fan.
Flying mostly around a quarter to half throttle.

The retracts work great and looks cool flying with wheels up and the swept wing.

Just got to be careful on the landings since the wheels are close together, It will tip over if you dont hold it straight.

Motors got a little warm but not too bad.
Very satisfied with how it came out. woot!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers