Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Soldering station on the cheap ....

Now you can toddle of to a LHS ... buy online .... and spend those hard earned pennies, with helis it's not pennies though !!

Ok - so you have Deans / XT60's, Bullets etc. etc. to solder up. Like me - you may have a small modellers vice you use to trap the connector in and then solder up.

BUT a nifty trick is a solder plug station.

A piece of nice wood all polished and gleaming that was going to be some ornamental part in the house ... Fit your plugs / sockets / bullets to it so they are raised and males, females ... these are permanent to the block.

You now have a station with all the required connectors fixed to it that you can now plug your connector to be soldered to ... solder away without worry that you will distort or damage the soldered plug. It also is portable that you can set down anywhere instead of having to use the vice.

Cost ? We all have a bit of wood .. and spare connectors ... so peanuts.

When I've made mine I shall post a photo ... :lol:

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

I bought one of those cheap "helping hands" from HF. Nice and steady, BUT the clips do act as a heat sink.
Don
Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I like those croc clip jobs - but the idea I floated will plug in and that helps to stop any distortion or movement of pins if overheated, because you plug the item into its counterpart fixed on the board.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
tarheal63

Send a message via AIM to tarheal63 Send a message via Yahoo to tarheal63
Friends: (3)

Subscribed. Anxiously awaiting results....

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
Subscribed. Anxiously awaiting results....
Don't hold yer breath !! I'm stuck up to ears in Ukraine beaureacracy on a job that should be near finished by now but hasn't even started !

Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Wanna talk about cheap? I get by just fine with a rubber band around a pair of needle nosed pliers.... holds them fine for the whole minute the task takes.

Rubber band= 1 lb bag for $2.00
NN Pliers= cant remember, bought them 20 years ago.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 03-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
spad

Friends: (0)

Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have also been known to use a pair of molegrips to hold a connector.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
startazz

Friends: (2)

Not sure if this would help anyone but Hobbyking does a good little soldering jig that i use,sorry but it's not made from wood but mine works a treat and i wouldn't be without it now.

I'll leave a link for anyone who wants to take a look at it and it's not going to break the bank at around $8,just under the price you will see the tab for reviews and you will see most people are just as happy with theres as i am,still it's down to you if you get one or not but i wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a wooden one just yet.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ering_Aid.html
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nice but ...

a) I often buy my LiPo's without Deans or have wrong connector on ... I prefer Deans. Guess what would happen if I put a Deans in that and then started soldering LiPo leads ?

n) Why pay $8 + shipping and the 3 week wait when I can use spare connectors and a scrap wood block for zilch out of my workshop ? AND no chance of shorting a LiPo as in a) ....

Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Ok - so you have Deans / XT60's, Bullets etc. etc. to solder up. Like me - you may have a small modellers vice you use to trap the connector in and then solder up.

BUT a nifty trick is a solder plug station.
For the newbies out there, check out the Anderson Power Pole connectors with their crimping tool. With these units, a terminal can be crimped on a wire and inserted into a plastic shell in 30 seconds, with no soldering.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
For the newbies out there, check out the Anderson Power Pole connectors with their crimping tool. With these units, a terminal can be crimped on a wire and inserted into a plastic shell in 30 seconds, with no soldering.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539
Hi Kyle .. whats Crimping to do with a soldering station ?

I know what you'll say about it - but I'm a dedicated soldered connector guy ...

Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hi Kyle .. whats Crimping to do with a soldering station ?

I know what you'll say about it - but I'm a dedicated soldered connector guy ...
LOL
That's why I put "Newbies" on there.

As for soldering equipment, I've got several soldering guns, half dozen soldering irons of all sizes, a 40 watt temperatue regulated soldering station, and a 100 watt temperature regulated soldering iron for soldering those A123 cells. Plus a few butane soldering irons. Also got a 80 watt unregulated soldering iron that's either to hot, or to cold when soldering heavy duty stuff. Don't use it at all now.

Those temperature regulated soldering irons and stations are what's used 99.9% of the time for soldering circuit boards and various other stuff.

IMHO, methinks a lot of the problems wattflyers are having with soldering those battery connectors and overheating their plastic shells is a direct result of using a soldering iron that is to small, and not temperature regulated. My 100 watt temp regulated iron will solder one of those Deans connectors in a few seconds without damaging the plastic shell.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59884

DennyV

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have a typical DIY general purpose 240v soldering iron that does just about every soldering job I have. Used to have loads of different size tips for it but lost them over the 40 odd yrs I've had it.

I also have a small 12v iron that stays on the yacht. I bought it after a trip to the pub ! Cost me about $5. Believe it or not - it works very well ... in fact one time out in baltic when wind died and I went to start the engine - no joy. Checked in engine box and found solenoid contact snapped of. So a small self tapper ... my 12v iron ... I got the screw to bite maybe one turn into the solenoid contact and then wrapped the lead round the screw head and then soldered it up. Lasted the rest of the summer ...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions