Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
heliflyer

Friends: (0)
Default What first edf, Stinger?

I have been flying planes for about 10 months now. Started with a high wing trainer,now flying a Wot 4 nitro. I can fly circuits,figure of eights,loop,roll and stall turn,i am self taught. I really want to get into edf and like the look of the Stinger. I know this question has been asked before but would a stinger be a bit much as a first edf?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Go for it I think you will enjoy it. It can be a challenge so I recommend "dial down" the dual rates some on my dx61 I set my @ 70%. Good luck and enjoy flying it.

Curious though member sense 2008 but only one post??

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by heliflyer View Post
I have been flying planes for about 10 months now. Started with a high wing trainer,now flying a Wot 4 nitro. I can fly circuits,figure of eights,loop,roll and stall turn,i am self taught. I really want to get into edf and like the look of the Stinger. I know this question has been asked before but would a stinger be a bit much as a first edf?

I would reach out to Fishbonez here. He took the same path and loves his Stinger. I returned to the hobby after a very long layoff( 30 years). Got started with the High wing trainer like you then on to the T-28 and since then have been building pusher parkjets. What a gas ! I also bought the $35.00 HK Radjet that will do 90-100 stock and gives me my speed fix.

Been tempted on the edf's but our field is grass and the guys that do fly them pretty much run circuits and go vertical. My concern is the higher capacity esc's and 4-5s batteries required.

Let us know how you do with your first edf !

Hawk
Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Can I suggest a cheaper but fun alternative ? If you can fly a wot4 nitro - then this is fine ...

I looked at the Stinger and I really like it - it will be in my hangar one day.

But I plumped for the 50mm T45 EDF PNP version..... for just under $60 - it was a steal ....

I added a 1800mah 3S 25C LiPo and about 30gr on the tail to balance the bigger LiPo ...... but in fact it's not really needed ... because the ideal battery is the 1300mAh 3S 25C Zippy and that will need no balance correction at all.

It flies fast but sure ............

Here's my maiden with it ........

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I was one of the happiest guys out that day ... boy did I enjoy flying it and it gets an outing every time I go flying now ... it's small but magic.

In the video you can see it flies slow as well .... speed checks gave it average of 90kph ... with a 4S in it (920mAh 4S 25 just about squeezes in) we had 120kph. Don't bother with the 850mAh 3S 20C pack - it just doesn't deliver enough amps and will fly slow..... it needs 25C or greater. The 1300 3S 25C is just about right for a good sport fast flyer.

One modification I would advise though ad this applies top all including stinger ....... flip the servo arms 180 degrees and exit top of wing to stop snagging in the grass. After that video above - I stripped a servo gear on landing.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

Thanks for posting. The T-45 looks like a great starter for edf's. Nice vid. A little more proficiency on the HK Radjet and I might be ready for prime time. Always wanting for more...

-Hawk
Old 03-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
bbqflyer

Club: Black Sheep RC Club, Danville, IN
Friends: (7)

Solentlife, nice vid. Love the T45, I have since my US Navy days out at NAS Corpus Christi and watched the fly boys train in them. I've been flying EDF's myself and have been wanting a T45 but can't decide on which or from where to buy.
Heliflyer, the stinger should be a good starter, and take the others advice and use low rates for your first few flights and be prepared. Jets do NOT fly like tractors.

That's not flying, that's just falling with style.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

i was at first concerned that such a small EDF would be twitchy and difficult ... but in fact it was a sweet surprise. She flew straight and true with hardly any trimming ... she flies well in wind as well.

With a decent C rated pack in her - she reacts quickly to throttle and really - you don't notice any delay in throttle response. She carves up turns nicely.

I was dissapointed that I couldn't get the Red Arrows Hawk version ... but later I repainted her ...

using spray acrylic paints ......

I've fitted Stinger $6 wheels so I can do runway take-offs and landings ... but lately - I've gone back to hand launching - which I do myself ...

She is stable and well powered enough that I can launch right handed and get hand to stick easily ... I fly Mode 2.

The funniest chapter in the T45 videos ....

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

With the snow, water ... we just couldn't get her of ground !

After the driving lessons I flew my Cessna ... then went back to the T45 to fly ... but first :

YouTube Video

Once we sorted that ......... we then ....

YouTube Video

As you can - tell from my vids - I enjoy my flying, I have great guys to fly with ... i love a good laugh ... and I can laugh at myself as good as anyone else !

Update on the upgrade I mention in the last video : The EDF unit in the 50mm Mini series has a 4200kv motor that is short giving a long shaft to fit the fan to. The 5000kv motor I got has standard length and makes shaft short ! Therefore I couldn't fit the fan as it's a 3.17mm threaded job. I then ordered a 7 blade 51mm EDF unit but the motor is too wide for it !! You'd think by now I would give up ! No - I ordered a 4850kv can motor that fits the 51mm and that will be shoe-horned into the T45 on my return home. The original EDF unit is 5 blade 50mm ... so i hope the 7 blade 51mm + the increased kv motor will give me a bit more speed.

But note - the stock power system as long as you use a decent 25C or more LiPo is well powered and will climb / loop into the clouds ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
heliflyer

Thanks for the replies. Just a bit more about myself. I started flying heliis about 4 years ago,hence the name Helifyer. I started with a Walkera heli,complete disaster,only lasted a couple of flying attempts. I then got myself an old Hirobo shuttle and a Align T Rex 450.I carried on teaching my self until i got to the stage of hovering and lazy eights. Next, i purchased a Raptor 90. Carried on flying for a few more months but was getting a bit frustrated with the whole heli thing,many crashes,lots of money spent and felt i really didnt want to carry on.
I always fancied flying fixed wing but not having the greatest eyesight,i thought i wouldnt be able to see a plane at distance well enough.Anyway,i decided to give it a go and purchased a V Trainer from Flyingwings here in the UK.After a couple of attempts, i was flying around the field. I carried on with the V Trainer,getting to the stage of flying circuits and figure 8s. I then got hold of an Irvine nitro trainer and carried on my learning with this plane. Next came a Wot 4 and a Pulse XT40. i can now fly nice circuits,figure 8s and a few simple aerobatics.The eye sight isnt as bad as i thought but dont want something too small.
So here i am,4 years later,self taught and really want to give EDFs a go. Im not a spring chicken,54 years old so dont want something too fast or twitchy to start off with.I am thinking of buying a couple of planes at the same time,so the T45 might be one of them,the other the Stinger,unless you have anymore ideas for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I think you will like the Stinger and it sounds like you are ready for an EDF. I get the feeling that you are concerned about size and a 64mm maybe to small may I sugest something like a 70mm EDF such as the Habu or something similar. I have flown the Habu and found it to be pre stable than the Stinger and I did like the size because I could keep a good eye on it

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

If you can fly heli's , you can fly anything ! From my investigation of EDF's, it really depends on your budget, the type of field you have, etc.. I'd love to get E-flight's new F4 Phantom but once you're into it, it's ~$1000.00 Good reports from our club on the E-flight Habu and Phase 3 F-16.( can be had for ~$100.00)

When I'm ready, I think I'm going to start off with the T-45 and go from there.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I guessed you were UK ........... the WOT4 is a UK speciality and a brilliant flyer ... I had one with ST60 + tuned pipe ... would go vertical out of hand. In fact apart from the Skyleader Skymaster bioplane - i would say its one of my all time fav's.

My eyes are also on that downward slope and I'm 56yrs old. But I think the will to do it and care in not taking eyes of whatever model is the key. I can fly that T45 at quite a distance in fact even though it's small.

I also keep looking at the Stinger, but for different reason. I am deeply into speed ... and the Stinger gives about the cheapest package for mod'ing up for extreme speed, but has small battery space. It's popular, you only have to see HK going backorder regularly on it.

The Habu ... pricey ... out of my price range.

For general convenience in size, performance, costs .... the 64mm EDF range is hard to beat. As you go up in fan size - the models get better performance usually as more efficient, but size then gets a hassle.

I love my 50mm T45 .... very glad I bought it ... flies well, goes in the car easily fully rigged ... but also appreciate that for some it is a touch on the small size. But it's sure cheap fun !!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
heliflyer

I agree about the Wot 4,fantastic plane,i wish i had started planes a few years ago.I have looked at the Habu,mainly because of its size but think i would like to try something a bit cheaper to start with. One other EDF i have looked at is the Multiplex Twister,again mainly for its size.Any opinions on this one as a first EDF? Also,what other jets are there in the slightly bigger size that might be suitable?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Quite like the Viperjet ......

But at end of day I want a model that will join a few others in back of car ... so it has to be compact. I get fed up putting seats up / down in back of my XC70 Volvo ... With seats up - I can get :

Ultimate ep Bipe
T45 EDF
Parkjet
Cessna 182
+ all the boxes and Tx's

The 450 Heli can go on the back seat.

If I go for Stinger and so on .. I will have to lose one model or start seats up / down malarky ...

Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #14
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by heliflyer View Post
I agree about the Wot 4,fantastic plane,i wish i had started planes a few years ago.I have looked at the Habu,mainly because of its size but think i would like to try something a bit cheaper to start with. One other EDF i have looked at is the Multiplex Twister,again mainly for its size.Any opinions on this one as a first EDF? Also,what other jets are there in the slightly bigger size that might be suitable?
If you are interested in the Stinger and the Habu for its size then maybe you would be interested in the HK 70mm Sport Jet
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EDF_PNF_.html
Not as expensive as the Habu but the same size

Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Quite like the Viperjet ......

But at end of day I want a model that will join a few others in back of car ... so it has to be compact. I get fed up putting seats up / down in back of my XC70 Volvo

If I go for Stinger and so on .. I will have to lose one model or start seats up / down malarky ...
This is when a pickup comes in handy

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

The EDF's from HK look pretty good. I like the BAE Hawk I'm also interested in the Airfield EDF's. Maybe this summer. I have so much to fly right now.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
The EDF's from HK look pretty good. I like the BAE Hawk I'm also interested in the Airfield EDF's. Maybe this summer. I have so much to fly right now.
Hmm that is a tough choice there Hawk. I would lean toword the the Airfiled EDFs over the BAE. I have heard it requires a lot of upgrading to fly corretly. You are right though HK has some nice EDF but Notro planes sells more scale looking EDFs in my opinion. One of the small reasons I have not bought one from nitro is because they look to nice for me to oops smash and crash

Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

by the way Heli when I was having an EDF dilemma there were some really good sugestions for me here
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64730

Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
This is when a pickup comes in handy
I did consider a pick-up ... particularly as i wanted a vehicle that I could still select 2w or 4w drive instead of the present craze for AWD. But wife was against as she likes the Volvo and to keep domestic harmony ........ like most husbands we are the boss and we have wifes permission to say so ! I kept the XC70.

Where I live - it would be impossible to have anything other than a AWD / 4WD vehicle as my private road to house is unmade and winters are severe ...

Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
scoote621

Club: Wingbusters MAC
Friends: (5)

I think the number one issue is what you think you can handle, if you think you can fly the stinger and you want that plane by all means go for it. you are not a beginner, just remember stinger has low wing area and edfs don't have the same ability as prop planes to power out of trouble and get very slow responses at low speed, so keep up your speed, even on landings you are going to find you need to come in a little hotter than you are used to. an alternative suggestion would be the 64mm size F-15 from freewing (same one as on nitroplanes) with upgraded motor from donsrc.com That is the set up I have and it flies nice at slow speed (has higher wing area than stinger) and still gets up to 70mph. I would say its a great first EDF. Ultimately it's up to you take the suggestions given and make an educated decision that's best for you.

Good luck!

TAE (Toy Aircraft Enthuisist)

My NEW BLOG
http://stevesrcaddiction.wordpress.com/
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Scoote/Nigel/Fish,

Seems like the faster I go with my squadron of "prop in the slot" pushers, the more I'm wanting for speed. Perhaps this is just another phase in the addiction- Curiousity...

Of course, a souped-up HK PJ,the Stryker Q, or even the Radjet will go as fast or faster as most of the 64mm EDF's as Nigel has proven. There's still a cool factor I want to experience. So, I think this summer, I'll try to go as cheap as possible and look for a closeout or special sale on an EDF like the T-45, Stinger, A-10, etc. That way, when, not if , I auger it, I won't be totally let down. Due to our field, I'll need a good belly lander and something where you don't have to be an NFL quarterback to hand launch.

-Hawk
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Watch my maiden of the T45 again ... you will see me fly it real slow and then cream it up into the sky again ... she is not slow on throttle uptake ... watch when I'm just inches of the deck on MAIDEN flight ...

Second I expected based on many posts to have a fast brick coming into land ... what a suprise - she floated in nice .. fully controllable.

If you go for the 50mm as did ... don't bother with the 850 20C pack as they advise - its crap ... and only gives about 250 gr thrust. Get a 1300 25C at least on 3S ... that will boost it to 330 gr and about 90kph.

The stock system will take a 4S but keep the C rating sensible at around the 25C so you don't burn out the gear.

NFl 1/4back ? ou'll see in the vid - that the launch was a standing affair with no effort. I am right handed and fly mode 2 ........ I give fuill throttle, throw with right hand ... she dips a bit ... flattens out and I have already hand on stick. No trouble.

Its a cheap, steady, pocket rocket ... and I love it ...

(edit) .... forgot to say - forget the A10 ... unless you want to stooge around just making a lot of noise !

Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #23
heliflyer

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice,i will have a think over the weekend before i make any decisions. Just one more thing,what is the HET F 86 70 like?
Only asking as one has come up for sale for a good price,or am i well out of my depth?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #24
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Nigel,

Okay, I'm hooked on the T-45 but may have to start a paper route to save for one -LOL ! Looks like an all around great flyer. Watched quite a few youtube vids and read several reviews. A couple of questions: 1).Did you have to carve-out the battery compartment to accept a 1300mah 3S ? I have a few of them. 2). How well does it survive belly landings?

May sound blasphemous but I really like the RAF Red Arrows version. Have already paid homage to the USN with my F4B Phantom II, T-28 and Sea Dart. Seems like I would be able to see it better. Not sure HK sells that version.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Found this one at Banana Hobby for USD $75 but their reputation is a little shaky:

http://www.bananahobby.com/2079.html

Nitroplanes looked they were sold out. HK apparently doesn't sell the Red Arrows version.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets