Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
philscho

Friends: (0)
Default What 6 channel 2.4ghz Tx to buy?

I am new to RC flying and would like some info on what 6 channel Tx to buy.
I currently have a very basic 4 channel setup and would like to upgrade. I see lots of discussion about the Spectrum 2.4ghz radio, is this a good value for an all around Tx I could plan to use for a while?? any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

Phil
Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

If you fly or want to fly Horizon bind and fly models there is only once choice - Spektrum.

I would recommend however a used DX7 rather than the DX6i. It is a far better system IMHO.

Mike
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Moki210

I like my Futaba 6EX
Old 03-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Moki210

It provides what most flyers need in a computer radio, Dual rates, expo, EPA, mixing, model memory, flaps, retracts, servo reversing, etc
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733
Friends: (2)

The Spectrum Dx6 is a good radio & will cover just about anything you might be flying for a while including flaps & retracts.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

+1 on the DX6i. Besides it's reasonable cost and access to BNF planes, compatible receivers are cheap and it has enough programming options for all but quite complex set ups.

It has it's limits and the DX7s or DX8 have really nice features, but you'll pay for them. If you stay with RC, you can go a long way with a DX6i and by the time you are ready for an upgrade you'll be able to decide which features of more advanced radios you really want. If not, the DX6i has pretty good resale value.

If you have a club near you, it's a good idea to see what's popular there. They may also be a source of used equipment.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by philscho View Post
I am new to RC flying and would like some info on what 6 channel Tx to buy.
I currently have a very basic 4 channel setup and would like to upgrade. I see lots of discussion about the Spectrum 2.4ghz radio, is this a good value for an all around Tx I could plan to use for a while?? any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

Phil
Ditto on the Spektrum line. Only one or two of my club members that went to 2.4 Ghz went to radios other than Spektrum/JR. Nice thing about these radios is their "Model Match" feature where it is not possible to take off with the wrong model programmed into the transmitter. Think reversed ailerons.

I've got two DX7's one for a backup, never used. Sent the 4 year old transmitter and a hand full of Spektrum receivers to Horizon for a check over. Got it back "NO CHARGE"!. That seems to be their mode of operation.

As for the DX6i, ran across a guy in an electric fun fly with one of those DX6i transmitters on his 3000 watt pattern plane. Did a lot of flying with it at the fun fly, he indicated it was problem free.

Several days ago, a club member was flying his top of the line JR 2.4 Ghz system when one aileron on his $6000 turbine model went to 45 degrees up and stayed there. After nearly loosing the model he found he'd put the WRONG control arm on the JR servo. The splines in the mismatched control arm had different number of splines and the plastic arm splines were stripped. (Radio and servos were just fine)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Again - I really like the DX7 is far superior to the DX6i - and used it will be cheaper too!

The DX6i is an OK system - but it has really cheap gimbals and I don't like the feel of the system.

So make SURE you handle that box before you buy.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733
Friends: (2)

Just an added thought. Have had 6, old 7 & 8.

The old 7 was the most cumbersome to program. When they released the 8 then the new 7 they both had the type 6 programing controls with the roller. So if you buy a used 7 try to get a new version.

Sold the 6 to buy the 7. Kept the 7 as a backup to the 8 but have not had an issue with any of them. Also for what its worth have been using the Hobby King compatible RX's with very good luck. Might be something to try with a low priced plane till you feel comfortable with them. I am using the 9ch ones in some larger aircraft.

The post above is correct there is a good used market for the Dx6i because it’s the entry level computerized TX so you will get a good piece of your purchase price back.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

In my humble biased opinion - I think a 6ch is basic now and it's worth considering more than that.

The 6i has been around quite a while and has even been revamped I hear to take advantage of the better DSMX format, but it's limited once you get into higher sophisticated models.

If you only intend general sport models - then fine - it will serve you out well. But maybe it's worth looking a little wider and more functions even though today you don't need them. Tomorrow you may decide to fly a CP Heli with add-ons ... the 6i will then need replacement.

I'm not going to get into brand arguments - there's enough of that going on in other threads ... what I say is don't just get led by the 6i crowd - there are plenty of other alternatives out there .......... Hitec, Futaba, JR etc. etc.

I ask this question : If the 6i si so good and does so much - why so many sold on 2nd hand market ? Because flyers outgrow the 6i and need something more.... same as you now find with your 4ch.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I ask this question : If the 6i si so good and does so much - why so many sold on 2nd hand market ? Because flyers outgrow the 6i and need something more.... same as you now find with your 4ch.
I agree that if you stay with RC, and get into more specialized models, you eventually outgrow any 6 ch system. I'm not sure there are that many DX6i on the used market considering how many have been sold. I do know that used ones sell for a relatively high price.

In the US at least, Horizon Hobby gives great service. Mine was subject to the potentiometer recall and HH fixed it AND included a free AR500 receiver (paid the shipping both ways). A year later, I noticed trouble with one of the pots when the temperature was sub freezing (worked fine otherwise). I contacted HH, they fixed free even though it was out of warranty and they sent me another free AR500 receiver! All I had to pay was the shipping.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners