1/10 Albatros D.V build thread (modified simprop kit)
I had threatened to start a build thread on the subject, so I might as well.
I had been looking for a foam albatros kit and the only one at the time was the old simprop kit. My uncle has had his since they came out and it still flys great, and is pretty light with a brushless and lipo power.
the point of starting with a kit instead of from scratch is to give myself more time to concentrate on the scale details. with two kids in atleast two sports it is hard to get time to fly let alone build from scratch.
so I started by working on the mercedes D.IIIa dummy motor.
I have a set of prints that another builder graciously shared with me. his work is nothing short of amazing.
The cylinders are made from simple XPS foam. cut into strips stuck in the lathe, turned and sanded at high speed until the desired size and shape was attained.
plastistruct tubing is used for the piping. easy to use and looks good.
I coated the cylinder with testors clear semigloss acrylic after sanding to give them a harder shell and so they don't soak up as much black paint.
valve spring seats are just cardstock discs made with a punch, then I use light weight spackling put in a plastic sandwich bag with the very tip of the corner nipped off to make a sort of "caulk tube" I used this to fill in the area below the valve guide, above the intake and exhaust ports.