Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
vaflyer

Friends: (0)
Default Super Cub & Wind Question

I've flound glow but have never flown electric & since the Super Cub seems to be popular I was wondering what the maximum wind it would fly in safely?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

10 to 15 max to start out, after that it's up to you.

I'm one of those nuts who flies his Micro Champ and/or Slow Stick when it's windy out though.

Wind's a bugger, but practice in it make you a better flyer.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
I've flound glow but have never flown electric & since the Super Cub seems to be popular I was wondering what the maximum wind it would fly in safely?
If you mean the Hobbyzone SC, 15 mph would be a safe limit. It's light and the real problem will be ground turbulence when you land. You can just about hover in 15 mph wind. I flew mine once in 20 mph winds and got it down intact but I wouldn't recommend it with the stock plastic wing struts and/or no additional wing spars.

It's a good, sturdy, easily repaired airframe. Add ailerons and a brushless motor and it makes a nice sport plane. If you are comfortable adding your own gear, I'd recommend buying the airframe parts from HZ rather than the RTF/BNF. It comes with a funky esc/receiver combo unit. Better and less expensive to buy separate parts.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
startazz

Friends: (2)

Both replies are spot on but i wouldn't get the cub if you get a lot of wind like we do here in the UK,only because i think there are better planes out there that will handle the wind better than the SC.

I'm not saying the SC isn't a good plane because we all know it is and a good trainer,all i'm saying is i think that the Hobbyking ANX floater/jet would be a better plane for the wind as it can fly well slow and can go a lot faster than the SC,so will/can handle the wind a lot better IMHO,don't let the name fol you though as it isn't jet like in looks but more like a glider.

Like i tell anyone looking for a trainer or a plane that can handle a bit of wind,go for the ANX as there is a huge following of this plane which you can see over at Youtube,if you just type ANX in the search engine over there you will see loads of videos pop up,i'd say check out the videos that RCModelReviews or Xjet as thats the same bloke but two different channels,he knows what he's talking about and has quite a few videos of the ANX flying in wind and FPV.

For the price of $55 it's a hard price to beat but if you already have the Super Cub then keep that one,i wouldn't want to fly that in no more than 15mph winds to be honest.

Good luck and flying in the wind will make you a much better pilot because you will respond quicker to any mistakes you might make.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Everything said here I would agree with except for the wind speed. It has been my experience that the SC stock 3 channel with stock motor setup does not have the power to handle 15 mph winds. Now also I live above a mile high from sea level and air density may have had some to do with it. Not to mention I was also learned to fly with it as well. I still own a 3 channel stock set up cub I call her "Ole reliable" and I don't take her out with anything above 10 MPH she just gets blown away. I also own another SC called "Flirting with Disaster" she has a eflite 450 brushless and ailerons modification. Now she will handle 15mph and I think I have even flown her in 30 mph winds but it got ugly. So INMHO I would not fly a stock SC in anything over 10 MPH. You have glow plane experience so I would look into something like th Apprentice or sail plane like Bixler or better. Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you decide. I do love my SC it is still one of my favorites and FWD does have quite the following out here in Wyoming every one at the field gets excited when I fly her because she is always going to do something unexpected even if it not by pilot choice. Good Luck and have a ton of fun

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM

All said is true. The wind itself is not the limiting factor as much as GUSTS are. If it is a steady breeze, the SC can fly pretty well. But throw in gusts and it can be a handful to fly smoothly, especially landing. It is light.
Don
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I agree with all of the posts here. I flew my modded-out(brushless+ailerons) SC in 10+ this weekend without incident but even with the added power, she can get twitchy in a gust. > than 15mph and you're asking for an adventure.Very light airframe. The ailerons really help alot with the ground stall effect that the stock SC displays. When I flew the rudder only stock version, just like its full scale big brother, you better have nailed a good approach as last second corrections are useless with a non-functional rudder near the ground.

-Hawk
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
vaflyer

Thanks for all the replys. I kinda thought that 15mph would have been the top limit but you all that have flown the SC know better than me.
I also like the Flyzone Switch.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
Thanks for all the replys. I kinda thought that 15mph would have been the top limit but you all that have flown the SC know better than me.
I also like the Flyzone Switch.
Now the Switch that is a whole other ball of wax. Looks like a neat plane because that is exactly what you can do with it switch from high wing to low wing

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM

15 MPH is not fun. A challenge, yes, but not fun.
Don

Just noticed the Switch mention ... it is a joy to fly as a low wing. I'll fly that plane as a warm-up every single time I go out. Put a 10x7 prop on it!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 

One thing you have to remember, glow planes are heavy compared to electric, especially foam planes. Wind is not going to bother a glow plane the way it will a light foam plane, so take that into consideration when you are flying. I flew glow for years and they are a blast, but they are also heavy and converting to electric is not the same, unless you convert a glow plane. I would say that 15 is flyable, but not much fun in a light plane, while a good lowing wing like a Super Sportster is great in 15mph winds, so it just depends on the plane. Stick to 5 to 10mph on the small light planes and heaver can go in higher winds. Look at it this way. A 20oz plane is going to get blown all over the place, while a 5lb plane will fly great in wind.

Ed
Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by mred View Post
One thing you have to remember, glow planes are heavy compared to electric, especially foam planes. Wind is not going to bother a glow plane the way it will a light foam plane, so take that into consideration when you are flying. I flew glow for years and they are a blast, but they are also heavy and converting to electric is not the same, unless you convert a glow plane. I would say that 15 is flyable, but not much fun in a light plane, while a good lowing wing like a Super Sportster is great in 15mph winds, so it just depends on the plane. Stick to 5 to 10mph on the small light planes and heaver can go in higher winds. Look at it this way. A 20oz plane is going to get blown all over the place, while a 5lb plane will fly great in wind.

Ed
Last Sunday I was flying my giant scale 80 inch wingspan "Big Stick" in winds of 15-25 MPH as measured by our club anemometer. Some of the landings had to be in a crosswind.

This model weighs 16 pounds, and has a motor running near 3000 watts up front, so power was not an issue. Landings were easy. Other club members that were flying 50 inch wingspan models stayed in the club house, their models couldn't handle this much wind.

But, on the other hand, a number of those little 100 MPH electric jets were flying at the same time. They fly FAST, and they did handle the wind very well.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)

I fly my E-Flight Apprentice in some pretty sketchy wind, and I can not imagine trying to do it with a plane that has no aileron control, and even smaller to boot.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 

Most of my models are in the 50" range and I have never had any problems flying in wind. True it is not as relaxing, but you fly when you can around here or not at all. Most days are windy and if you can't fly in the wind, then you are restricted to very early morning or late afternoon and that is not much time. I also fly my 2M gliders in wind, but I'll admit that I stop at about 15 or 20mph with them as it is not fun flying in anything faster. While I will be the first to admit that wind limits the fun in smaller planes, it is also someone that is willing to fly in it that makes the difference. Once you have been flying for awhile, it gets easier to fly in wind, but then again, it does take some of the fun out of it if it is to hard a wind. So it boils down to, don't fly in the wind if you don't know how and if you do, then it is just how much you want to fly in that is still fun to you, but it still goes back to size and weight do matter.....................

Ed
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
watt002
Banned

very well.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
deanz406
deanz406

Club: Laurel Highlands Model Airplane Club
Default HZ Super Cub Wing Mod- NO RUBBER BANDS !!!!

PART 1 : I just bought a HZ S/C last week, and after having read all the mods u guys did, I would like to make my contribution to this thread. I always hated the idea of using rubberbands on an airplane, and they just take away from a clean look. Besides that, I don't have to worry about running out of rubber bands, or them breaking.
I wanted to incorporate a simple 1 bolt fastening system, quick and easy to install and remove. I thought of adding a forward slide in mount, with a single 1/4 X20 nylon screw for a trailing edge hold down. I did the popsicle support at the fuselage near the wing trailing edge, and cut out a slot in front of that for a 1/4 " piece of hobby plywood. I used hobby ply, because of its density, and that it can be drilled and tapped.
After getting the ply cut, drilled, and tapped, I epoxied it in with 15 min epoxy. The next step was to align the wing, centering it, and measuring the hole to drill in the wing. I wanted something to support the foam in the wing area, both top and bottom, and found a vitamin bottle lid that was white, and substantially thick, that would work as a washer. I cut the lid, trimmed it, and then cut it in half. I drilled a 1/4" hole in it, and epoxied it in place.I sat the wing on the fuselage, bolted it down at the rear, and measured the leading edge, to find the exact center. I unbolted the wing, and looked at the front of the fuselage to figure a way of keeping the wing locked into the front of the fuselage.
I cut a popsicle stick in 1/2, and cut 2 slots in the inside of the fuselage, and slid them down in at an angle, so that they would be secure in that part of the thick foam front. I laid the wing down on to the fuse, and put a little pressure on the leading edge to make a mark from the popsicle sticks. I cut 2 slots in the wing at about a 30* angle so that when the wing was attached to the fuse, there would be a little pressure on the rear to hold the front in.
I cut off the rubberband pins, and slid the popsicle sticks in the wing, and added a lower, and upper support to the mount. I epoxied the entire assembly with 30 min epoxy. After it dried, I slid the wing onto the fuse, and pressed down on the rear wing, and bolted it down. It was solid, sturdy, and clean looking. I painted the bare wood areas, and the nylon bolt, and everything matched up very well.
I am now doing a mod on the chintzy struts that are in the kit. In the photos, you will see that I removed, and relocated the wing strut pins. I turned them sideways to accommodate a new strut assembly. I'll post pics in part 2.
I want to thank everyone who made a contribution to this excellent thread, and all the things they found to improve and make this a better and more dependable flyer.
If u have any questions, please feel free to drop a line. Dean

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2945.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	158916   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2955.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	158917   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2938.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	158918   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2943.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	158919   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2947.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	158920  

Name:	DSCN2948.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	158921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2949.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	158922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2946.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	158923   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2937.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	158924   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2951.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	158925  

Name:	DSCN2952.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	158926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2959.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	158927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2960.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	158928   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2958.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	158929   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2939.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	158930  

Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
deanz406
deanz406

Club: Laurel Highlands Model Airplane Club
Default S/c wing mod- no rubber bands !!!

PART 2- Wing mods : I didn't like the chintzy struts that came with my Cub, as I mentioned in Part 1, so I made my own. I used 1/4 X 3/32 basswood strips, as they are fairly light. I pindrilled the ends on 4 strips, and inserted 2-56 threaded rod and CA'd them in. I attached 2-56 metal clevises to the ends, and attached them to the wing strut tabs. I aligned them with the mounting point on the fuselage, cut them to length, and marked an angle on one of them, and trimmed 1 strip. I CA'd them together, and pindrilled the edges to add some support, by inserting 2 toothpicks in the holes, and CA'd them in. I cut 2 small aluminum strips to length, drilled them, and epoxied them to the strips. They fit nicely, and improved the look dramatically- at least a little more scale. I have to sand and paint them, and they will be finished. All I have left to do is a better system on the landing gear, put a nicer set of tires on it, and it will be ready for its maiden.
I have followed this thread, and did the battery box mods, removing the ACT, changed the 27MHZ stuff to 72MHZ, and most of the improvements that other members suggested in this thread. I do have a bigger motor, and a better esc, but want to see how well it flies as is with the stock motor.
Many thanks again for all the suggestions and contributions that fellow members made. I'll see what else I'm going to modify, and post any other ideas I have in part 3. Dean

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2961.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	158931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2962.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	158932   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2963.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	158933   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2964.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	158934   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2965.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	158935  

Name:	DSCN2966.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	158936  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Outstanding ! Thanks for sharing this terrific mod log. Plane looks better than out of the box !

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions