Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
skywagon

Friends: (0)
Default Banana Hobby Airfield FHSS radios..Manual

With my Cessna 182 ARF came the option of a 6 Chan. radio. It was an Airfield brand (powered by 4 AA cells instead of the usual 8). No manual..of course.
It has interesting trim 'lever' functions. They look like standard 'click' trim levers, but they are not. Pressing the trim one direction or the other, the transmitter beeps and the associated servo makes a mini step change.
My question is...what is the range of the 'beeps'..? If seems to be about 20 beeps across its complete trim range or 10 beeps left and 10 right. It has a mystery beep tone change about mid way thru the range. I thought this mystery tone indicated the "mid" point of the trim range, but, it is not same from time to time. The problem is, one does not really know where the trim neutral or mid point is. Because the trim acts like a spring loaded switch, it is always in the middle of what we normally think is the lever type mid/neutral position.
I would appreciate a lead on the radio 'manual' or someone explaining the trim function in this new method of setting the transmitter trim controls.
Thanks......
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by skywagon View Post
With my Cessna 182 ARF came the option of a 6 Chan. radio. It was an Airfield brand (powered by 4 AA cells instead of the usual 8). No manual..of course.
It has interesting trim 'lever' functions. They look like standard 'click' trim levers, but they are not. Pressing the trim one direction or the other, the transmitter beeps and the associated servo makes a mini step change.
My question is...what is the range of the 'beeps'..? If seems to be about 20 beeps across its complete trim range or 10 beeps left and 10 right. It has a mystery beep tone change about mid way thru the range. I thought this mystery tone indicated the "mid" point of the trim range, but, it is not same from time to time. The problem is, one does not really know where the trim neutral or mid point is. Because the trim acts like a spring loaded switch, it is always in the middle of what we normally think is the lever type mid/neutral position.
I would appreciate a lead on the radio 'manual' or someone explaining the trim function in this new method of setting the transmitter trim controls.
Thanks......
Your description is correct. Instead of the analog style of trim you have a computer radio that sets it's trims digitally. The trim levers are no longer connected to pots but to switches.

Anything other than the cheapest 2.4g radios will have a screen showing the trim positions relative to neutral.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
skywagon

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Your description is correct. Instead of the analog style of trim you have a computer radio that sets it's trims digitally. The trim levers are no longer connected to pots but to switches.

Anything other than the cheapest 2.4g radios will have a screen showing the trim positions relative to neutral.
No screen on this Airfield transmitter.
Just a series of beeps when the trim swt. is activated in either direction. I am suspecting that it allows about 10 clicks either left/right or up/down for triming.....
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

The beep that is different in the 'middle' is the neutral point. Low end Spektrum work that way also.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

You'll find the digital trims easier to use while flying in that they give discrete steps. There is less of a tendency to over shoot than with analog trims. Analog trims theoretically have finer resolution but I think you'll find the digital trims adequate.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros

Tags
2.4ghz , airfield fhss , radio , transmitter , transmitters