Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
w3_

Friends: (0)
Default Dynam J3 piper cub from nitroplanes.com

Dynam Electric Brushless 4-Ch Super J3 Piper Cub 42": http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...rtf-24ghz.html

I assume this would be a good beginners plane...has anyone tried this version of the j3 cub. Also, is http://www.nitroplanes.com/ a good place to order from?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I haven't tried that Cub, but I'd warn any beginner away from it. it has a flat wing, which unless something else is going on, aerodynamically, it won't want to self correct back to level, and it may have adverse yaw characteristics. I saw their 'I Can Fly' trainer right next to it which looks more suitable for a beginner.

Of course, by beginner, do you mean 'Never flown before', or 'Can usually fly my something-or-other without crashing', or ???

A lot of people assume Cubs are good for beginners, but unless the mfgr made some changes, it's not.

Other than that, I have a Dynam Turbojet, and I've been happy with it. Got it from NP, and while it had a fan problem when I got it, they replaced it in a hurry, so I have no complaints.

The much hyped HobbyZone Super Cub IS a well designed Cub that I would highly recommend. Though it's a 3ch, I've seen it fly and was very impressed. There have been people who added ailerons, so you could make it 4ch when you're ready. If I had a bottomless wallet, endless garage, and infinitely understanding wife, I'd have 2: one with wheels, and one on floats. Alas I have none.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Check your shipping rates from the US before you buy. It may be cheaper to ship from Hong Kong to Canada. Consider parts availability too. Trainers in inexperienced hands tend to need them. Might make sense to buy locally.

+1 on the HZ Supercub. You can build the airframe from parts if you already have a radio and so wouldn't have to buy the RTF version.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
HobbyJumper

Friends: (0)

Agree. Why not take advantage of the fact that you live in TO and just walk into one of the excellent local model airplane stores and ask for advice? Walk out with the right plane for you, plus the spare parts you need for when you crash -- and you will crash.

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Might make sense to buy locally.

+1 on the HZ Supercub. .

Pete
Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
startazz

Friends: (2)

Some really good advice there for you to consider from the comments so far.
Does it have to be a scale look model? if not what about a ANX floater/jet from Hobbyking as that is a real good plane for a beginner and has a huge following on Youtube,if you go over to YT and type in AXN you will see loads of videos pop up.

If you do want a scale look then why not try the J3 Cub from Hobbyking and you can even get a RTF (ready to fly) version from them to,the price is a bargain but if that don't do it for you then you could always go over to the left hand side of the HK website and hit the Plane,ARF,RTF,KIT button,then hit the Beginner/Trainer button and look what they have in there,if you do see one you like have a look down the page just under the price you will see a review tab hit that and read what people say about it,as thats normally a good place to look to see if the plane is for you or not.

I'll leave a link for you but no matter what you buy or where you get it from i hope you get the plane you want and have hours of fun with it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Cub_RTF_.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
cub , dynam , j3 , nitroplanes , piper