Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default First flight after 20+ years!

Flew my 2m sailplane today. First time I've flown in over 20 years and this was the very first flight for this Explorer 2M that I bought 10 years ago and never flew. I bought a $12 1650Kv motor off Ebay and installed my old Futaba 4NBF (w/new batteries!). Of course I had excellent help from a good friend and mentor. I had an absolute blast!

I have attached pics (hopefully correctly) from today.

Wayne

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	158713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	158714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	158715  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Congrats! Welcome back to the best hobby in the universe! (Well, I'm a little biased...) You must have some skills to put together a power package that actually works!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Get yourself a slow stick, or other cheap and small park flyer. Something you can walk to the park. There is no reason to wait anither 20 years! Same basic story with my dad. I am getting him back into the hobby as well.

Good to have you back.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
foodstick

Friends: (0)

I have quit for 5 years or so, and re-maidens were INTENSE !

I bet with a 2 decade layoff you were just about OD'ing on the adrenaline !
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Congrats on that first flight! Next up, first thermal!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
offtom
Megans Servant

View offtom's Gallery6
Club: Maggie Mae's Menagerie
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (6)

Congrats on your truimphant return to the hobby.

May you have many more enjoyable flights.

Cheesy poofs are what Yankees get when they eat Southen Food!! bub, steve
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

Welcome back to the hobby. After a 25 year layoff from this hobby I started with a glider too and it makes re-learning fun and relaxing. I would recommend going to a folding prop though. That slow flyer prop you have on there will cause a lot of drag even stopped and they break pretty easy. Also, take it easy on the speed and watch those "G's" or you can rip the wings off pretty easy. I still fly gliders along with the rest of my planes and love them. There is nothing like catching a thermal or two and going for a nice 1 hour flight.I haven't broken the 1 hour mark yet, but I came close with 58 minuets and am working on it. That was with about a 20 second motor run and gliding the rest of the flight. I also have sport and pattern planes and really enjoy them too, but I think my first love will remain gliders, at least for now.

Ed
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Gliders and e-gliders are my main flying fun. Perhaps we can share a thermal some day.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Beemerider

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Gliders and e-gliders are my main flying fun. Perhaps we can share a thermal some day.

That'd be great. Gotta get mine fixed first! Control linkage came off the rudder servo last tuesday and had a little mishap. It came down and kinda sorta cart-wheeled. Snapped the wing in two and took the tail off as well. Epoxy and ca to the rescue. I'm about 80% complete on the repair.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

If you look at the Eastern Soaring League web site you will see there are ESL regional contests in VA. Not 100% sure I will be flying in those but if you want to see some great DLG or winch launched soaring competition, see if you can attend one of these contests. Better yet, if you have a working glider and are confident in the air, why not sign up and be in the contest. If you sign up as a Novice it costs you nothing. Don't worry about winning, come for the fun. I just LOVE these contests. I don't win much but I have the best time and you will meet some of the greatest people in the hobby/sport. I did my first ESL contest with a Sagitta 600 and a 2M Spirit. I didn't even know how to use a winch. They launched it for me. After that one event I was HOOKED!

www.flyesl.org

ESL Expert, Sportsman and Novice Explained
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

The Novice Lounge - A haven for new glider pilots
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

ESL Newsletter (I am the editor)
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
mark2cars
WattsupMark

Default Oh Yea !!!

Also back after a twelve years lay off and this electric "thing" is wonderful !!! Congrats on a successful first flight.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Through 1970's ... 1980's ... early 90's ... I flew anything I could get hands on. I flew at big meets, displays, fete's etc. (All in UK). Flew scale, pylon ... as I say - I was crazy for anything to fly.

Then it all stopped with work and travel. Just on 4yrs back - I decided to start again.
I scoured the web for current model scene ... bought a couple of crap supermarket models to chuck about the garden.

I was hooked again !! The hook went in deep ......................

Me .. now I'm chasing speed records, flying EDF's, Pushers, Bipes, you name it - I'll fly it !

How hard to get back to flying ? I was surprised how quickly I was back in the groove. I had a few mishaps at start and of course pride meant I started back with a ME109 ... a bad choice as it is unforgiving ! But it lasted a year before it went to back of bench awaiting a rebuild.
I've even restarted my Helicopter phase with a 450 CP along with indoor Co-Ax ...

How do I feel ? GREAT !!

So welcome back to OP ....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Beemerider

Solentlife-

What radio system do you use?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
Solentlife-

What radio system do you use?
My main radio is the FlySky 9x with FrSky module + Rx ... on 2.4Ghz. I have excellent use without any problems with it. It's factory V2 firmware.

My Helicopter is on its RTF radio still ........ Radiolink 6EHP .. 2.4Ghz. I keep thinking to change it over to my 9x which has a lot of extra heli functions, but too lazy !! It works !!

I still have my old radios from the 80's ...

JR Propo 8ch - that now has a Corona Synth 8ch Rx ... on 35Mhz. Fully working cond. But not installed to any model - again I think about it but never get round to it. I did use it when I restarted - replaced the RTF unit with it and was a great experience to have an old friend in hand again !!

Futaba 6M 35Mhz .... but no idea if it still works as battery leads fell apart and it's also got the old style plugs etc.

Any radio wishes ? Thinkling I may get another FlySky 9x .... or a 2nd hand JR etc.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Beemerider

I keep on looking at the 9x stuff. My mentor keeps pushing the Spektrum. I'm relearning on my 20 yr old Futaba 4NBF. (new tx batteries of course)
I'm sorely tempted by the 9x. Best price I've found so far is $89 shipped. Not sure on whether it's v1 or v2 firmware. Seems like the radio has developed quite a following. I'm still a tad confused with all the names I see associated with it. The FrSky module--that's in the tx right? Can you expound on that?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Its easy to tell which version you get ...

If the Rx shown has a single antena with a Red tip - then thats the later V2 with frequency hopping.

The Tx module will be TM-002 and Rx B

The old V1 sets had TM-001 Tx module and A vers rx. Doubtful anyone would have them on shelf anymore.

OK - As supplied FlySky will give you a Tx Module and Rx ... which works. They have reasonable frequency control and many people are happy with it.

But here's the advantage ... if you swap out the FlySky TX module and replace Rx with the FrSky 3rd party JR compatible gear ........ you have extended facilities incl. telemetry ... as well as one of the best Frequency interference rejection systems out.
Cost of Rx's is much lower than most others ... so not only do you have a sophisticated 8ch machine with facilities that far outweigh any 6ch set .. but cheap Rx's costs to increase your fleet.

The problem ? there is considerable bias out there from "traditional brand label buyers" and also you have to accept that price is low because you have no service support from factory / seller. But given that you can buy a new set for less than most "brand servicing" costs - is that a problem ?

Let me be honest ........... the 9x is not the easiest to understand for programming, but once set-up - it proves itself extremely able. I set-up a support Yahoo group specifically to help owners ... I have no commercial connection to FS whatsoever.

You also have the possibilities to re-flash the set to er9x and other firmware further expanding its capabilities.

Me ? I would love to have finances to stay JR ... but I have other calls on my money as well !!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
Scott the plane man

good man, this is good to here get back there and you have now made me just want to go out and fly but not is not good weather. and if it stops raining i will be out flying as soon as you think of the ideas of it. Now i just have to fix my plane and then hope for the best, and my grandad is coming up tmorrow so i can show him how to fly a Rc Plane and my DAD can show him how to fly a heli!!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #18
Beemerider

Well flew it again today (after repairing damage from last flight) and I managed to make two successful flights. I even made my first ever successful landings. Was a tad long (used up much of the runway) but was all intact and even managed to keep the prop on. One small step for man.............(actually an old fart)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
Well flew it again today (after repairing damage from last flight) and I managed to make two successful flights. I even made my first ever successful landings. Was a tad long (used up much of the runway) but was all intact and even managed to keep the prop on. One small step for man.............(actually an old fart)
Who cares how long a walk after landing ? The main point is she's down in one piece and you have a grin across your face to end all grins !

The landing runs will get shorter .... even aftyer 40yrs at it and my return - I still have long walks at times !!

I have a joke : If I aim at myself - where I am is the safest place to stand - cause you never hit what you aim at !!

Makes me smile ... Uldis, fellow RC nut where I fly ... with my T45 - couple of vids on Youtube he filmed for me, show me bringing her in right up to his feet !! In second vid - I promise not to hit his legs ..... model stopped about 12 inches from his feet ! (Youtube channel ... solentlifeuk)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners