Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Friends: (1)
Default Scratchbuilders - when you bulk order wood, what do you get?

I am leaning towards scratch building a Pronto as my next plane. I ordered plans for a 1/12 scale Corsair from ClevelandAirline but I figure I should maybe get something else under my belt first.

Anyhow, I was thinking I ought to just do a bulk wood order but looking at National, Lonestar, and Midwest's catalogs makes my eyes bleed. What do the hardcore Scratchbuilders buy when they do their annual (semi-annual) wood order?

Thanks for your help!

-M
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

While I have bought from virtually all of the big name balsa suppliers the best I had gotten was from Lonestar before they burned down several years ago. After that was Tower Hobbies believe it or not. For me all the others were inconsistent cutting, density, weight, thickness and appearance.

The very best sheet balsa I've ever gotten was from Brian at Mountain Models. He doesn't advertise bulk balsa for sale but tell him what you need and I'm sure he'll set you up. I love the wood he uses in his kits and I save ALL the scraps from every Mountain Models kit I've ever built. It's that good. I bought a couple of stacks of 1/16" and 3/32" from him a year or so ago. It's my cherished stash and will only be used on a special project. For sticks and hardwood check out Michaels for Midwest brand wood.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Mojo. Thanks for the links about the Pronto, I basically learned to fly with one of them, but somehow lost the plans. The are a great little plane, mine flew for several years until it fell apart from castor oil soaking into every joint in the plane.

If you want a real challenge, try to fly it inverted, it can be done, but it is tricky.

Now I will build an electric one.

I believe there was a Super Pronto, less dihedral and ailerons.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Mojo. Thanks for the links about the Pronto, I basically learned to fly with one of them, but somehow lost the plans. The are a great little plane, mine flew for several years until it fell apart from castor oil soaking into every joint in the plane.

If you want a real challenge, try to fly it inverted, it can be done, but it is tricky.

Now I will build an electric one.

I believe there was a Super Pronto, less dihedral and ailerons.
Hey Wildfire,

Glad to hear that you are going to build the Pronto. I'm going through the posted drawings for the Pronto and trying to put together a bill of materials and formulate a plan of attack. Let me know when you start yours and what you come up with.

Thanks!

-M

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft