Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Maiden Flight Giant Scale Top Flight Cessna 182 Skylane

Just did the maiden flight on this model airplane today! Three flights were made. The ailerons are VERY effective, and dual rates of 60% were programmed into the DX7 transmitter. The model pretty much flew itself off the ground, with about 6 blips of down elevator required. Flaps are effective, but need elevator mixed in to handle the pitch up motion.

One thing to be very careful of in this and any large electric model with a high powered motor up front. That is going from low to full power when the model is at a very low flying speed. The torque of that motor can rotate even a big 82 inch wingspan model like this one to 45 degrees before you can react with ailerons.(Yup, did that, at 100 feet altitude!)

Specifications:
Wingspan 82 inches
Wing area 898 Sq In
Weight 15.9 Lbs ()

Power System
10S2P 2300 Mah A123 cells
Castle Creations 80 Amp HV ICE ESC
Hacker A60-5S Motor
APC-E 19x12 propeller

Castle Creations ICE Downloads
Max Power 2232 Watts
Max Current 81.3 Amps
Min Volts 26.9 At 79.8 Amps
Motor on ground 6050 RPM
Motor in Air 7320 RPM

A six minute flight takes about 1/2 the ampere hours out of the 10S2P A123 pack. The take off run is about 30-40 feet, with a very unscale like climb out of 45 degrees or more. The model will easily fly on 1/2 throttle, which represents about 500 watts of power and 4100 RPM on the prop.

The original main landing gear had to be replaced to provide proper clearance for the 19X12 prop. The nose gear was cut off, and about 2 1/2 inches extra was silver soldered in for the extension.

Next things to do are install the wheel pants, and paint the aluminum landing gear. Won't be putting in the windows though, need to hide the battery packs and wiring inside. Can't see it from the ground anyhow.

Take a look at a few photos, attached. Note the eight position Anderson Power Pole connectors, along with the balance connectors just above them. The AP connectors allow charging the battery pack as a 5S4P, and flying the battery pack as a 10S2P.

The LCD display on the far right of the power panel records total flights; total flying time in hours, minutes, seconds; and total ampere hours for the battery pack. After this info is displayed, the flight monitor then switches over to either motor current (up to 100 Amps) when the motor is running, or it shows ampere hours for the current flight when the motor is not running.

The unit on the left is Spektrums flight monitor that records loss of signal in several different modes. During the three flights today, no loss of signal counts were noted, none what so ever.

Receiver power is provided with a Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC with an isolated two cell 2300 Mah A123 battery pack for backup power.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna Photo 1 - WF.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	158881 Top Flight Cessna Photo #1

Name:	Cessna Photo 2 - WF.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	158882 Top Flight Cessna Photo #2

Name:	Cessna Photo 3 Power Panel - WF.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	158883 Top Flight Cessna Power Panel

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

That's a great looking Cessna, but it just doesn't look right without the side windows. I would at least use silver trim to make windows or something like that. Anything to put side windows on would look better then nothing, but that's just me. Great looking plane anyway and sounds like it flies great too.

Ed
Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mred View Post
That's a great looking Cessna, but it just doesn't look right without the side windows. I would at least use silver trim to make windows or something like that. Anything to put side windows on would look better then nothing, but that's just me. Great looking plane anyway and sounds like it flies great too.

Ed
Yeah agreed:
I bought it from a club member who is getting out for 1/3 the list price. Somehow he lost the side windows.

Might just go to Ace hardware and pick up some plastic windows and stick them in

DennyV
Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default Giant Cessna Model Update

This model now has several dozen flights on it. The landing gear had to be replaced since the Hacker A60-5S motor requires a 19X12 prop. The original landing gear allowed the prop to hit the ground.

I did cut out the side windows, but probably won't put on the wheel pants.

This model is way overpowered. I actually had take off runs of less than 10 feet yesterday in zero wind! Just does not look right to see a Cessna model climb out at 60 degrees and keep going.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)