Originally Posted by Beemerider
I'm still learning and trying to get as much flight time as possible. Being gainfully unemployed makes the task of finding time pretty easy! So my "Elmer" and I met at the field today while most folks are working.(I'm finding a few advantages to being disabled!) Nice conditions today, partly cloudy and light winds, maybe 5+ mph. Launched my 2m glider(powered) and enjoyed maybe 10 minutes of gently chasing the buzzards and birds across the sky. I was about 2 mistakes high and in a gentle right turn when the turn got "not so gentle" and started to spiral down. I gave it left rudder and could see absolutely no response. I quickly handed my transmitter to my friend and he had no more success than I in regaining some control. I watched it make maybe 2 or 3 quick spirals down and then heard the crack of balsa wood snapping. Last time I heard that sound was about 20 years ago. Anyway the pictures show most of the story. Apparently my rudder control rod came loose from the servo arm. I don't know the name of the attachment hardware (I built the plane 10 yrs ago and just flew it for the first time a couple weeks ago) The small brass fixture was held in place on the servo arm with a small nylon keeper. Well the damage is easily repairable and this will help me work on and improve my building and repairing skills!
On the repairing subject--what advice would any of you experts offer in putting this wing back together? It snapped in the center---the plywood brace snapped almost clean. This was an ARF back when I built it 10 yrs ago. Epoxyed a 6" long plywood brace into each wing half and then epoxyed both wing halves together. I've got ideas in my head but I don't know the preferred way to do it. My thoughts are to possibly use some sort of carbon fiber rod (s) as a brace--drill into the existing broken plywood on both halves. After joining both halves (with carbon fiber rod), should I fiberglass the center?
Life is still good!
IMHO, I'll never use those set screw type attachments to the servo arms. Have seen to many models go in over the years when those setscrews come loose. Especially with the glow models. Last summer, one of them was a very nice Bipe, that went in on its third flight. There was nothing left, including the DLE 30 gasser engine.
Take a look at those "Z" benders available in a lot of places as well as some well stocked hobby shops. Those Zbends absolutely can not come loose.
(I've got the "Cheaper" unit, for $15. Been using it for 10 years.)
As for your wing, you epoxied it when you built it up long ago?
Nice thing about epoxy, just strip off the covering around the spar, grab a standard heat gun used for covering. Heat up the epoxy joint with the heat gun, and with a dull knife or screwdriver, gently separate the epoxy joint. Take your time, 5 or 10 minutes or so. It will work. Then when you get to enough good wood to allow building up a repair splice, just fit in the splice and epoxy it into place.
FYI, this also works with various wood glues such as titebond. But, don't try it with CA joints. It doesn't work, and stinks up the house.
Be sure to use plenty of ventilation if you're doing this in an enclosed area. Some 30 years ago, I repaired a busted spar in a 10 foot sailplane wing using this method. Went on to fly that model another 10 years before selling it to a club member.
When you're out buying stuff, take a look at these drill bits. I've got several sets of these number drills. They REALLY come in handy when you're drilling out the servo horns and control horns for an exact fit with the carious clevises and so on.
These probably are not the highest quality, but they work just fine drilling out plastic, or soft metals such as aluminum and similar materials. (A higher quality set will be on the order of $100 or so.)