Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Augered in today

I'm still learning and trying to get as much flight time as possible. Being gainfully unemployed makes the task of finding time pretty easy! So my "Elmer" and I met at the field today while most folks are working.(I'm finding a few advantages to being disabled!) Nice conditions today, partly cloudy and light winds, maybe 5+ mph. Launched my 2m glider(powered) and enjoyed maybe 10 minutes of gently chasing the buzzards and birds across the sky. I was about 2 mistakes high and in a gentle right turn when the turn got "not so gentle" and started to spiral down. I gave it left rudder and could see absolutely no response. I quickly handed my transmitter to my friend and he had no more success than I in regaining some control. I watched it make maybe 2 or 3 quick spirals down and then heard the crack of balsa wood snapping. Last time I heard that sound was about 20 years ago. Anyway the pictures show most of the story. Apparently my rudder control rod came loose from the servo arm. I don't know the name of the attachment hardware (I built the plane 10 yrs ago and just flew it for the first time a couple weeks ago) The small brass fixture was held in place on the servo arm with a small nylon keeper. Well the damage is easily repairable and this will help me work on and improve my building and repairing skills!

On the repairing subject--what advice would any of you experts offer in putting this wing back together? It snapped in the center---the plywood brace snapped almost clean. This was an ARF back when I built it 10 yrs ago. Epoxyed a 6" long plywood brace into each wing half and then epoxyed both wing halves together. I've got ideas in my head but I don't know the preferred way to do it. My thoughts are to possibly use some sort of carbon fiber rod (s) as a brace--drill into the existing broken plywood on both halves. After joining both halves (with carbon fiber rod), should I fiberglass the center?

Life is still good!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	159003

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	159004
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

If your plane had a significant amount of dihedral at that joint, you may not be able to drill in far enough to use a carbon rod.

Some times the best way is to simply cut further into the wing to give you access to both sides of the spar, and then replace the broken dihedral brace. Maybe cut most of it away, or split off the laminations to get as close to the spar as you can with out damaging it.

Your plane is not too bad, I blew the wing, on a $600.00 glider a few weeks ago.
I'm waiting for some carbon fiber tubes, coming from Australia, to fix a glider from Czechoslovakia, here in the US.
Sorta covered the world this time.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
CNY_Dave

I broke mine much worse- I epoxied the halves together and then after that cured I epoxied basswood sheets on the top and bottom. Not as pretty, I was just going for strong.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
gyrocptr

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
..... I don't know the name of the attachment hardware (I built the plane 10 yrs ago and just flew it for the first time a couple weeks ago) The small brass fixture was held in place on the servo arm with a small nylon keeper.
It's an "E/Z connector". Need to make sure that the nylon washer is fully "snapped" in place.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...hrod&search=Go

....On the repairing subject--what advice would any of you experts offer in putting this wing back together? It snapped in the center---the plywood brace snapped almost clean. This was an ARF back when I built it 10 yrs ago....
My 2 cents: First repair the ribs and sheeting on each separated wing-half. Then, set to the desired dihedral angle and butt-join the wing-halves together with epoxy. After the epoxy has cured, wrap with 4 inch wide strip of fiberglass (easier if top and bottom are done with separate pieces) and secure the fiberglass with resin or CA glue. Finish/decorate, as desired.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
CNY_Dave

Mine:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1532614

It's a little heavier post-repair but flies fine... I nailed a telephone pole with one wing and the wing held just fine, just had to repair the spot that hit.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I'm still learning and trying to get as much flight time as possible. Being gainfully unemployed makes the task of finding time pretty easy! So my "Elmer" and I met at the field today while most folks are working.(I'm finding a few advantages to being disabled!) Nice conditions today, partly cloudy and light winds, maybe 5+ mph. Launched my 2m glider(powered) and enjoyed maybe 10 minutes of gently chasing the buzzards and birds across the sky. I was about 2 mistakes high and in a gentle right turn when the turn got "not so gentle" and started to spiral down. I gave it left rudder and could see absolutely no response. I quickly handed my transmitter to my friend and he had no more success than I in regaining some control. I watched it make maybe 2 or 3 quick spirals down and then heard the crack of balsa wood snapping. Last time I heard that sound was about 20 years ago. Anyway the pictures show most of the story. Apparently my rudder control rod came loose from the servo arm. I don't know the name of the attachment hardware (I built the plane 10 yrs ago and just flew it for the first time a couple weeks ago) The small brass fixture was held in place on the servo arm with a small nylon keeper. Well the damage is easily repairable and this will help me work on and improve my building and repairing skills!

On the repairing subject--what advice would any of you experts offer in putting this wing back together? It snapped in the center---the plywood brace snapped almost clean. This was an ARF back when I built it 10 yrs ago. Epoxyed a 6" long plywood brace into each wing half and then epoxyed both wing halves together. I've got ideas in my head but I don't know the preferred way to do it. My thoughts are to possibly use some sort of carbon fiber rod (s) as a brace--drill into the existing broken plywood on both halves. After joining both halves (with carbon fiber rod), should I fiberglass the center?

Life is still good!
IMHO, I'll never use those set screw type attachments to the servo arms. Have seen to many models go in over the years when those setscrews come loose. Especially with the glow models. Last summer, one of them was a very nice Bipe, that went in on its third flight. There was nothing left, including the DLE 30 gasser engine.

Take a look at those "Z" benders available in a lot of places as well as some well stocked hobby shops. Those Zbends absolutely can not come loose.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXC81&P=ML (I've got the "Cheaper" unit, for $15. Been using it for 10 years.)

As for your wing, you epoxied it when you built it up long ago?

Nice thing about epoxy, just strip off the covering around the spar, grab a standard heat gun used for covering. Heat up the epoxy joint with the heat gun, and with a dull knife or screwdriver, gently separate the epoxy joint. Take your time, 5 or 10 minutes or so. It will work. Then when you get to enough good wood to allow building up a repair splice, just fit in the splice and epoxy it into place.

FYI, this also works with various wood glues such as titebond. But, don't try it with CA joints. It doesn't work, and stinks up the house.

Be sure to use plenty of ventilation if you're doing this in an enclosed area. Some 30 years ago, I repaired a busted spar in a 10 foot sailplane wing using this method. Went on to fly that model another 10 years before selling it to a club member.

When you're out buying stuff, take a look at these drill bits. I've got several sets of these number drills. They REALLY come in handy when you're drilling out the servo horns and control horns for an exact fit with the carious clevises and so on.
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-piec...set-34627.html

These probably are not the highest quality, but they work just fine drilling out plastic, or soft metals such as aluminum and similar materials. (A higher quality set will be on the order of $100 or so.)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
pepcid

Friends: (0)
Default to bad

That dosn't look good
Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
Beemerider

Thanks for the replies. I have already canned those connectors on the servo arms. And my mentor has told me about using the z bends. That's the plan. I wondered if fiber-glassing the wing halves was appropriate. I know it's not as smooth in appearance as an internal brace but since it's a trainer for me and not something I'm trying to show off maybe that's a good option? Would certainly be faster I think. Oh--and this plane was an ARF 10 yrs ago, all I had to do was epoxy the wing halves together (and wing end sections) and epoxy the tail feathers on.

Another plus for me on fiber-glassing the wing....I don't have full function and use of my hands yet due to a prior illness and actually all this work does help with that but glassing the wing would be easier for me. I've a little experience with that from 20 yrs ago. Here are a couple pics of what little I've done so far.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	159017

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	159018
Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
Beemerider

Could someone tell me how much dihedral to put back into this wing when rejoining the two halves? fwiw--there is a slight amount as well built into the outer wing panels. Never paid much attention exactly how much was there before I busted it up. No longer have any documentation either. This is a Explorer 2M sailplane.

Thanks!

Wayne
Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

I absolutely detest EZ Connectors. It only takes a little more time to fabricate a proper connection. I myself use locking clevises at each end with a locknut to prevent unwanted movement.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions