Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
npowell28

Friends: (0)
Default Finding a COG on scratch built plane

Is there a way to find the COG on a scratch built plane. I've seen the excel tools that calculate either MAC or COG but as far as i can tell you need one or the other to finish the calculation.

I am using airfoils that i have plotted myself e.g. Clark Y. Am i right in saying that its the airfoil that has the cog and not the plane e.g. each airfoil has an establish COG and you balance the plane on that. Have i got this right. I've just finished building a home built UAV type thing based onthe clark Y airfoil. I've been putting off flying it until i can establish what the correct COG should be.

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by npowell28 View Post
Is there a way to find the COG on a scratch built plane. I've seen the excel tools that calculate either MAC or COG but as far as i can tell you need one or the other to finish the calculation.

I am using airfoils that i have plotted myself e.g. Clark Y. Am i right in saying that its the airfoil that has the cog and not the plane e.g. each airfoil has an establish COG and you balance the plane on that. Have i got this right. I've just finished building a home built UAV type thing based onthe clark Y airfoil. I've been putting off flying it until i can establish what the correct COG should be.

Thanks guys and gals.
Optimal COG depends on several factors as well as subjective handling preferences. This calculator: http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm takes the tail area and distance from the wing into account. It's been pretty reliable for me.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers

What post number 2 said about finding where the CG should be. To answer the original question, just find where the plane balances and the CG will be somewhere on the vertical line above or below the point where it balances. Every thing has a CG, it may not even be within the structure you are measuring. I think your question should have been "How do you find where the CG SHOULD BE for a successful flight, not "how do you find where the CG is".
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
npowell28

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
What post number 2 said about finding where the CG should be. To answer the original question, just find where the plane balances and the CG will be somewhere on the vertical line above or below the point where it balances. Every thing has a CG, it may not even be within the structure you are measuring. I think your question should have been "How do you find where the CG SHOULD BE for a successful flight, not "how do you find where the CG is".
Lol! yeah your right about the succesful flight bit. I'll try that program. If others are using it successfully then that gives me confidence.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Optimal COG depends on several factors as well as subjective handling preferences. This calculator: http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm takes the tail area and distance from the wing into account. It's been pretty reliable for me.
+1

Use a static margin of 10% as a starting point.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners