Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #51
bluecnc
Is that hot glue I smell?

Friends: (0)

Well the maiden of my $tree wing didn't last for very long. I wonder if 10 mph winds could have been a factor. Stick mounts don't work on foam board very well either. Ripped right off. My motor weighs 49 grams, so that was a lot of forward momentum. Re-enforcing with more foam board and hot glue. I did run a pack out in the Popwing. That thing is so stable. Hey! My glue gun is hot. Time for repairs.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #52
bluecnc

Default Motor mounts?

I find the stick mount is a weak system. What is your favorite motor mount for foam board? The rest of the wing takes the abuse pretty good but the day is finished when the motor is flopping around.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #53
soarrich
Soarrich

Club: JCSF & MMAC

Originally Posted by bluecnc View Post
I find the stick mount is a weak system. What is your favorite motor mount for foam board?

My wing is five sheets thick at the center so I'm able to glue in a ply firewall and mount the engine to that.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #54
soarrich
Soarrich

Thumbs up

I made a thread on my wing at http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...067#post891067
These cheap wings are fun!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #55
aviator41

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for some time but decided to start seeing what I could come up with some dollar tree foam. my son and I started with a twin boom 30" and a small hobbyking HB2822 motor. lots of fun and we flew it till the booms literally fell off (spectacular crash!)
Next, we moved onto a flying wing,using the Armin arifoil with great success. Biggest problem is getting all the innards pushed forward enough to get the CG where it needs to be. this wing was great and we gotr 30-40 flights on it before it broke up in a high speed dive. Again, we thought ahead and stuffed a very light parachute inside each wing just for this reason. when it came apart, the halves floated gently back to earth ending up in the top of a tree. To this day we've not lost a single piece of electronics equipment.

We are now on our larger wing, 50" wingspan and have it flying well using a sandwich type spar (1" wide balsa strips with blue foam in between as) - this thing is as stiff as a board and has a fantastic airfoil shape! should slow it down a bit and give better slow flight characteristics so we can land it in the yard. Middle section is almost totally hollow, so we can move the electronics around.

No matter how far forward we cram everything, the CG is a battle. the motor is mounted right at the center line right now, firewall at the trailing edge, entire motor hanging off into space. Has anyone had success moving the motor inboard and running the prop in a slot configuration? I'm concerned that we won't be able to get enough thrust this way, but if it will solve the CG problems, I'm game! Right now, with the GoPro on the front, the CG is perfect, but man is it a heavy bird!

Go easy. I've been around the forum, just never had much to post. cheers!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #56
bluecnc

Guys,

That wing looks great. To get my CG right I get the motor positioned where the prop is almost chewing foam and put the biggest battery I need at the farthest forward point. Of course in a harsh landing this can be detrimental to the battery.

I have read to keep the receiver away from the ESC but to keep weight forward I have foam taped it right on top of the ESC with no ill effects. Do at your own risk.

I even run longer control rods to be able to move the servos forward. But not too far. Rod flex will cause it to respond slowly or not at all in a high demand situation.

My biggest taboo though is dead weight. No quarters, fishing weights etc. Cuts down on flight time.

You two have inspired me to start on another one piece foam wing. I have all my lines drawn. Just need to start cutting and gluing.

Keep 'em in the air.

Rob

Another thought. I have never used the mid-motor configuration before so I can't help you there.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #57
Dimeflyer

Club: haven't picked one yet ?
Friends: (2)

There are a lot of plans that use the motor center wing or more to the rear but not to far from the center as far as my blind eyes tell me ?
Don't know if that helps .
George
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #58
aviator41

Thought I'd update. We decided to move the motor to the front, using the spot where the gopro was mounted, we made a removable motor mount. Same motor, same 2200Mah batteries - moving the motor and removing gopro turned this into a very docile flyer. I can easily maintain straight and level flight with the throttle just barely cracked open.

It glides so well that it took four passes to get it on the ground, the thing just wouldn't come down! I ran it on a 8x4 prop to stay on the safe side. it had gobs of power, and it a super fun flyer.

Best part is that we can easily move the motor back to the rear, attach the GoPro on the front and killer vids again!

with the incredible payload capacity this thing has and seriously roomy interior, it would be simple to add FPV to. . . hmmm. . . . off to ebay!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #59
soarrich
Soarrich

I've found with the motor in the nose:
The wing is much quieter.
More efficient.
Groves better.
More susceptible to damage.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings