Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)
Default My Scratchbuilt Foamboard "Mini Apprentice"

This is loosely based on my E-Flight Apprentice. The Apprentice in stock form is a very forgiving 58" trainer, and I felt the this would lead to a more forgiving build. This plane is basically scaled down to half of the original Apprentice (29" WS, etc.). It is going to be a 4 channel plane. I am using CHEAP electronics, more just to see what can be built on the cheap.

I am using an HK Orange RX, and sub $4 HK servo's, a motor I had laying around I got in a trade deal (Not 100% sure on the motor yet, I have to do some research and find out if is even appropriate for this size/weight application). I have several Turnigy 1300MAH 3S batteries, but I have a feeling I may need something closer to 1000MAH, or even smaller. Not sure how much the weight will be an issue.

The foam wheels are temporary, need to get something more appropriate. Will post updates as I make progress, and hopefully a flight video!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (307)

Thats looking nice, nice build a 1300mah lipo 3 cell will work fine in your plane, give the motor about 3 to 5 degrees of down thrust, normally no right thrust or left thrust is needed with smaller planes, but the down thrust is greatly needed to load the front wing to make it fly stable, balance it a tad nose heavy for the maiden, and a 25% of the wings cord from the wings leading edge back, is a safe place to start with your CG, 25% will be right on or very very close to whats needed for your CG, Hope that helps, Take care and have fun, Chellie

BTW keep it under 100 MPH for the Maiden flight

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Looks cool, so 29" wing span, what will the weight be about without battery, and what motor are you running? I would have a very hard time not over powering that plane if I built it.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
NFA Fabrication

The motor I have for it is a random motor I ended up with in a trade, and am not 100% sure it is even appropriate for the application. It has markings that read "2830-11" & "1000Kv". I also have a spare "Parkzone" 18A ESC that can be used. The entire concept of this plane went from an idea sparked from an online thread, to fully made in about 4-5 hours (Including going to the store and getting supplies). I am still reasonably new to planes, and am a newb when it comes to motor selections.

I also just got my 3DHS 48" Edge 540 yesterday, so it looks like I have 2 maidens coming up, and am retiring a plane that I am just not a fan of (Uknown brand 38" Texan AT-6 foamie got in trade). If this motor is appropriate for this Mini-plane, I really do have everything needed I think to complete it!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
The motor I have for it is a random motor I ended up with in a trade, and am not 100% sure it is even appropriate for the application. It has markings that read "2830-11" & "1000Kv". I also have a spare "Parkzone" 18A ESC that can be used. The entire concept of this plane went from an idea sparked from an online thread, to fully made in about 4-5 hours (Including going to the store and getting supplies). I am still reasonably new to planes, and am a newb when it comes to motor selections.

I also just got my 3DHS 48" Edge 540 yesterday, so it looks like I have 2 maidens coming up, and am retiring a plane that I am just not a fan of (Uknown brand 38" Texan AT-6 foamie got in trade). If this motor is appropriate for this Mini-plane, I really do have everything needed I think to complete it!
The 2830-11 motor will work just Fine, thats a 28mm outside can Dia. 30mm long, with a 1100 KV, use a 6 pitch prop, a 7x6 prop should work well for you with a 1300mah 3 cell lipo, and a 30 amp esc. Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

with motor selection, look at Heads up Rc Motor pages, look at the size of the motors and the KV, and it will give you a Prop selection and battery selection, that will work on most motors. Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor-1.9/Detail

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
The 2830-11 motor will work just Fine, thats a 28mm outside can Dia. 30mm long, with a 1100 KV, use a 6 pitch prop, a 7x6 prop should work well for you with a 1300mah 3 cell lipo, and a 30 amp esc. Hope that helps, Chellie
Thank you! I have an 18A Parkzone ESC that came out of a slightly larger plane (38" WS Texan AT-6 foamie). That plane also has a physically bigger motor in it. I was planning on using it in this plane, is 18A not going to be sufficient due to my set-up? Really appreciate the assistance by the way! I also got some work done on the aileron linkages and servo for them last night.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thank you! I have an 18A Parkzone ESC that came out of a slightly larger plane (38" WS Texan AT-6 foamie). That plane also has a physically bigger motor in it. I was planning on using it in this plane, is 18A not going to be sufficient due to my set-up? Really appreciate the assistance by the way! I also got some work done on the aileron linkages and servo for them last night.
Its always best to use a larger ESC than whats needed, reason being, they will stay cooler and last longer, The best ESC for the money IMHO is the turnigy Plush or Sentry, its all i use and have never ever had any proplems with them, for small foamies, use the HXT 9 Gram Servos, they are a very strong servo, but they are power hungry, so if you use more than 3 HXT 9 gram servos use a UBEC, also use a UBEC if using 2.4 radio system to prevent a brown out and loosing control of your plane.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-Plus...item27c3d9a29c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURNIGY-Plus...item3f12791f85

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

NFA since you like to Build, Here are a few of my Plans if your interested.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...652#post715652

Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
NFA Fabrication

NFA since you like to Build, Here are a few of my Plans if your interested.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...652#post715652
Digging through these now looking for ideas! I custom build a lot of RC car/truck stuff (I build a lot of custom car stuff for a living). Really interested to see how this little guy flies!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Digging through these now looking for ideas! I custom build a lot of RC car/truck stuff (I build a lot of custom car stuff for a living). Really interested to see how this little guy flies!
Here are some more links that will give you some Ideas, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=ubec+chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39733

Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
NFA Fabrication

I went to the LHS today to pick up some stuff for a few different planes, and I was only able to get an 8x6 prop (It was the closest they had). Not sure if that is going to be simply too much, or if I should give it a shot. At least she is complete with working ailerons now. I even got to taxi it around the living room!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I went to the LHS today to pick up some stuff for a few different planes, and I was only able to get an 8x6 prop (It was the closest they had). Not sure if that is going to be simply too much, or if I should give it a shot. At least she is complete with working ailerons now. I even got to taxi it around the living room!

Your motor is just like the motor listed here, same size and KV, look at the size prop that this motor can use, it just like your motor, use these specs when looking for a prop for your Motor, also if you need any more motors, give Heads up Rc a shout, jeff is super Sharp and can point you in the right direction for motors for other Planes, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor-1.9/Detail

If you have any Questions, Give Jeff a E Mail At Heads up Rc, He likes to be bugged with Motor Questions

The Firepower 400 Sport is a good choice for models requiring 8 and 9 inch props. You might consider this motor for planes like the popular Super Cub, Mini Super Sportster, Seawind, Sig Rascal and the GWS Estarter, Beaver, P-38, Corsair, Mustang and Formosa. By choosing the appropriate battery and propeller, the Firepower 400 Sport is an excellent choice for dozens of mid-size parkflyers!
Good prop choices for the Firepower 400 Sport are the GWS EP9050 for a nice combination of speed and thrust, and the GWS HD8060 for maximum speed. If you're after scale looks on a warbird, consider the GWS 8040x3 and GWS 9050x3 3-blade props.
Good battery choices for the Firepower 400 Sport are the Power Up 11.1v 1300 20C, 11.1v 1650 20C and 11.1v 1800 25C Lipos.
I recommend using the Power Up 20A or Power Up 32A ESC with the Firepower 400 Sport.
If you need a brushless motor that is the same size and weight, but uses larger propellers, please check out the 2830-09.
The Firepower 400 Sport comes with 3.5mm male connectors installed, and female connectors and shrink tube are included.
MOUNTING OPTIONS:TheFirepower 400 Sportcan be mounted in front of a firewall using the 2800 series 'X' mountand the 2800 series rotor end prop adapter, which are included with the motor. You can also mount it behind a firewall, and a 3.17mm prop adapter can be purchased to mount a prop on the motor shaft. The GWS Plastic Outrunner Mountcan be purchased to mount the Firepower 400 Sporton a 10mm stick.

Propeller test data for the Firepower 400 Sport with a 3-cell Lipo battery:
It's a good idea to balance all propellers with a Propeller Balancer before using them on this motor. TP propellers are available in our store, and are nearly identical in performance to APC props. Rotating propellers are dangerous. Please stay clear of prop and wear eye protection.
GWS EP9050:30 ounces of thrust at 16 amps. Excellent prop for this motor.
GWS EP9050x3 3-blade:32 ounces of thrust at 17 amps. Avoid constant wide open throttle.
GWS EP8040:23 ounces of thrust at 10.5 amps.
GWS EP8040x3 3-blade:24 ounces of thrust at 12 amps. Good choice for scale looks.
TP 8 x 4E: 24 oz thrust at 14 amps.
GWS HD8060:24 ounces of thrust at 15 amps.
TP 8 x 6: 24 oz thrust at 18 amps. Exceeds recommended maximum amps.
TP 7 x 6: 19 oz thrust at 11.5 amps.
The above data is a result of my own testing using a fully charged 3-cell 2250mah 20C (45 amp) Lipo battery. Thrust and amp draw may be less with the use of batteries rated at lower amp output, and slightly more using batteries rated for higher amp output.
Propeller test data for the Firepower 400 Sport with a 2-cell Lipo battery:
GWS EP1170: 24 oz thrust at 15 amps.
GWS EP1060:20 ounces of thrust at 12 amps.
The above data is a result of our own testing using a fully charged 2-cell 1800mah 20C (36 amps) Lipo battery. Thrust and amp draw may be less with the use of batteries rated at lower amp output, and slightly more using batteries rated for higher amp output.
Firepower 400 Sport Specifications:
Weight = 1.9 ounces (54 grams)
Diameter = 1.1 inch (28 mm)
Motor length = 1.2 inch (30 mm)
Shaft = 1/8 inch x 0.5 inch (3.17mm x 13 mm)
Voltage = 7.2 - 13.0
Current = maximum of 17 amps or 180 watts for 30 seconds
KV = 1150

Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
NFA Fabrication

OK, so I got the 7x6 prop today at another hobbyshop, and went out for a maiden! Overall, it flies fairly well, but it has a bad tendency to flip side to side as if you are giving full aileron in one direction, and it can be tricky to correct. I ultimately crashed because of it, but only broke a prop.

I am wondering if i were to add some dihedral, I am not sure I am using the right word at all, but basically mean to have the wing tips higher than the center of the main wing essentially forming a mild "V". Over all, pretty happy for my first shot! Sorry, no video!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies