Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
KeninAZ

Friends: (1)
Default Reactor Bipe

I picked up a used and slightly scuffed Bipe today. Just the airframe with servos for $70.
I just ordered a .15 size motor for it as I only had a 480 available but I did have a couple of ESCs that will work for it.
It will be an upgrade from my mini Ultra Stick for sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
startazz

Friends: (2)

So will this Bipe be your second plane then? if so i would of gone to a different sort of model first but thats just me,something like an AXN floater or a Bixler both from Hobbyking.com are fine second models to fly for sure.

If i've got this wrong and it's not your second model then i'm sorry as i've miss read your post.

Any pictures of your Bipe you picked up cheap? if not any chance us seeing some after you get it all sorted please,as i really like to see other peoples models.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
KeninAZ

No, I flew gas years ago but lost the touch for the controls.
When I went electric I had a few trainers and just tried to do things I shouldn't learning all over again.
I took my time with the MUS and learned all over again and did much much better.
Here is a pix of the Bipe. Nothing special. He had removed 3 of the servos as he could not sell the plane with the motor and all on it. All I bought was the airframe and the 4 servos.
The wheel pants are gone and I don't care about those. And the tail skid is as expected used and roughed up. I have an extra tail wheel setup I may just put on this plane someday. And as I fly alone in a pretty rough area I think I will go with larger wheels anyway like I did with my MUS.
Here is a pix of it.

Anyway this is my first biplane, and certainly not traditional at that. I grew up watching the older biplanes flying from a private field where I lived after WWII. Many Cubs flying too then of course. Someday I will have a traditional biplane like a tiger moth or camel but this deal was not going to last in my opinion as the guy was going home from school and did not want to have to take this one with him clear across country.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
KeninAZ

Starting to get things together now after repairs from previous owners have been completed. With a 15 sized motor and a 3s I produce 339 watts at nearly 30 amps. That is right on par with the motor specs and that says I should have 56 oz. of thrust with the 11x5.5 prop that they recommended for sport flying and mild 3D.
I hope this is enough to get my feet wet anyway.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
startazz

Friends: (2)

Sorry i wasn't sure if it was your first plane or not,thanks for showing the photo though as it is a good looking model and i can see why you got it as i don't think i could of passed it up if i'd of seen it.

Sounds like she is just about ready for a maiden flight.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

I think that may be on the low side of the power, but should work for sport flying. Just don't expect it to 3D like the other motor will. I don't fly 3D anyway, so I would probably go with a motor like you have too, or just a little bigger. Good luck with it and keep us posted for the maiden flight and let us know how it flies.

Ed
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
KeninAZ

I am just trying to get the feeling back for flying.
I was into this before, gas, years ago.
I came back with gas, to fast and too much plane and drove it into the ground.
So I put a couple of trainers together, got Real Flight Sim which seemed to help a lot, and treated myself like a rookie again and took it slow.
I am learning about electric and it's fun.
I set this one up for sport with some light aerobatics. I can always get some 4s batteries if I decide I want more power as it's already set up for it.
In the meantime, this will be a step up from my mini ultra stick for me which has survived so far.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I had the Mini Ultra Stick for awhile, but it was to small, so I got the big one. (50"span) I can see and fly it MUCH better now. After a 25 year break I had to relearn everything too, but it didn't take quite so long this time. Mostly had to get my thumbs back in condition again. I still fly glow, but electric is a lot of fun too and I can fly it at home. The other I have a 40 mile drive to go fly. A 4S should liven it up nicely and make for some fun flying once you get back into things again. Even sport flying a 4S would be fun. I don't do 3D and don't even try. I did once, but my reactions are to slow and I just wander all over the place. In fact, I do just about everything wrong, so I'll stick to my style of flying. It's more fun for me anyway. I'm getting a Kaos soon and going electric with it too. Should be fun.

Ed
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
KeninAZ

And that's the whole point of this is it not?
I know the bigger planes fly better, but as a retiree I can go almost anytime the wind is not blowing hard with the smaller models.
And the motors and such are cheaper too!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

True, smaller is cheaper, but for me they are harder to see, so a little more nerve wracking. I just fly better when I can see the plane better. I do however have a Slow Stick that I love to fly. It is small enough and slow enough that I can fly it almost anywhere.

Ed
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
KeninAZ

Yes you are correct, the smaller planes have to be the right colors for me to see at distance too. But I have found just adding some strips of brighter colors helps a lot as distance.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
charlespetal

Friends: (0)

Today the more used in market reactor bipe. There are combine many part use. I think 15 size motor,esc as 38 zo , 11x5.5 prop.There are used in daily routine like temperate measured.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions