Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Converting Pusher Parkjet to EDF

We all know the Hobby King Parkjet ....

Small, lightweight and fast.

I have spare 50mm 5 blade and a 51mm 7 blade EDF units and thinking about a conversion ..

I would like to set the EDF unit DOWN into the fuselage at rear instead of on top as with the Flycat. But worried that setting the EDF unit down into the fuselage will destroy a significant amount of air intake and subsequent thrust.... by way of the thickness of foam across the intake.

Is it possible to regain intake volume by removing a section of fuselage ahead of the EDF unit so there is effectively a slot in front of and allows the air to fill the intake. Question is how long a slot in front of the intake and is a 50 / 51mm EDF sufficient to make a respectable flyer of the Parkjet ?

I'm thinking that if I taper the foam as it nears the intake ... the slot can be minimised ...

Please any ideas / comments / maybe you've converted a parkjet yourself ?

My 51mm EDF has a 4890KV inrunner fitted and has mounting fins suitable to fix to the Parkjet ....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3-00107-7B.jpg

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Copy of the old Electrajet which in turn was modded into the Tbird/Firebird EDF.
Take a look at how it was done, would be a drop in fit for the Park Jet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536666

I even built a Stryker using the set up from my old Firebird.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nasty 001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	159863 HobbyLobby Firebird/ Tbird
Click image for larger version

Name:	TS 001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	159864 Converted Stryker

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Your Stryker looks remarkably similar to a parkjet ...

Seeing that Firebird and your Stryker ............ makes me want to get on and try it out with EDF. I realise that I won't get the speed I'm getting from the Pusher version - but still - it's worth a go. There's something about a screaming EDF .....

What size EDF unit was it ?

I have a 5000kv EDF motor suited for 55 / 64mm (2810 Turnigy) as well and wonder whether a 55mm unit maybe better ?

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

It was a 66 mm unit. Could be run with either a 6 or 3 blade fan.
Most likely an old Wattage fan, similar to what was used on the Eflite Airliner.

And I'll be honest, it was a slug in the air. And more noise then anything else.
I eventually yanked it and installed a Wemo 6904 set up. Then it cooked.

Hmm, maybe look at something like the Change Sun 70 mm 10 blade.
With a HK 2855/2100 kv motor on 4S it pulls around 35 amps, and 500 watts.

As a bonus depending on how stupid you wish to go, there are folks running this set up on 5 and 6S. Should be more then enough power for ya.

Oh and with the CS fan, you'll loose that banshee scream, you'll get a more turbine whoosh from it.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

banshee scream is fine with me, in fact I need it for the doppler app to gauge the speed.

I think the scream adds to the adrenaline and impression of high speed ...

My Parkjet will receive the 50 or 51mm EDF unit ... with high KV motor and 4S .... so it should get a reasonable turn of speed but nothing excessive I reckon.

The next question is .......... does it need an exhaust tube or will just the EDF body be enough ? I'm hoping that I don't need to add a exhaust tube as I want to keep weight down.

It's more out of interest really to see what she does. Given that the Jpower 50mm EDF's go quite well - I'm hoping that the parkjet being a little lighter and thinner wing will be just as good or better.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets