Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
pepcid

Friends: (0)
Default What plane do i get?

I am new to rc planes so what plane do i get ? My budget is about 50 bucks. I need somthing that can take a beating.

thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by pepcid View Post
I am new to rc planes so what plane do i get ? My budget is about 50 bucks. I need somthing that can take a beating.

thanks in advance
Pepcid,

$50.00 is a little tight but not saying it isn't do-able. I assume you need the TX and RX also? The best would be to check Craigslist or e-bay and look for a high wing trainer such as the Hobby Zone Super Cub.

If you find a used set-up like that, it's bound to have some hangar rash.

Good luck,

Hawk
Old 05-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
pepcid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-GULL-WL8...item231b5014b0

Like this one?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Originally Posted by pepcid View Post
Well, looks like this one is designed for indoor flying. 30 meter range. You could fly it around the house , I suppose. It meets with your price range criteria but it's really a kids toy. You may want to head down to to Target or Wal-mart and look for the Air Hogs rc plane. For that matter, you may have as much fun on a simulator. Can download FMS for free.

I found out early that you just have to bite the bullet with this hobby. Pay me now or pay me later.

-Hawk
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

watch ebay & try for a hobbyzone champ. be carefull the transmitter is only good for less than 400 ft
Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

pepcid,you really need to up the ante in budget pricing. don't do what i did and bought a 2 channel plane from banana hobbies that flew throttle elevation,and rudder steering.....never flew ,certainly the video the showed was enticing enough for me to send the 50 bucks. that was 4 years ago when i first got into the hobby.

listen to these guys recommending the cub ,champ..ect..ect...they didn't waste their money and you'll love the hobby even more.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Put your 50 bucks in the piggy bank for now and pinch your pennies to save up another 50. Then you take the combined cash and get a HobbyZone Champ. Satisfaction virtually guaranteed!

AMA #959089
Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

$100 you could do a slow stick for $25-30, power system and esc for about $30-40, couple of cheap batteries $5-10 a pop, two servo's for $3, but then you'll need a receiver and transmitter, props, ect.

Really you'll want $125- $150 minimum.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
matthew_herbe

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
pepcid

thanks for the advice i wll see if i can make my budget bigger
Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Can you build ? or you looking for a arf. joe
Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I believe in the saying about if you give a man a fish he will only eat for a day but if you teach him how to fish he will eat forever. This plane is easy and cheap to build . It will fly off of land and water ,the floats slip on over the landing gear in a second . It can fly slow or fast and not hard to build. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0Bf...eature=related Ken on rcg put up free plans for a blue fanfold one and i have built three already for fun. Here is the full size pdf and tiled pdfs . Ther are more easy to build and fly foam planes here on wattflyers and in the foam scratch and build section on RCG . Good luck and if ya try to build one pm me if you run into problems and i can help. joe

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magnum Reloaded FFF full 32x56.5.pdf (99.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Magnum Reloaded FFF tiled A4 (1).pdf (84.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf Magnum Reloaded FFF tiled A4 (2).pdf (84.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

my opinion If this is your first plane, get an arf (allready to fly) & see if you like this. there is 2 champs on ebay that fit your budget right now. it will take a while for you to learn how to fly the fancy stuff will come later
Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Originally Posted by zoltron55 View Post
my opinion If this is your first plane, get an arf (allready to fly) & see if you like this. there is 2 champs on ebay that fit your budget right now. it will take a while for you to learn how to fly the fancy stuff will come later
Zolt,

ARF is : "Almost Ready to Fly" Most of the time it means the buyer only needs to glue together some major components and supply his own TX ,RX & battery but sometimes, depending on the supplier, it can also mean having to install your own servo's, horns, rods & rx,etc. Make sure you read the fine print in what they are providing.

Absolutley agree that the Champ would be a great choice as a lower budget starter. Don't think he could go wrong there.

-Hawk
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

I have to agree with RoadKing here. For such a limited budget a scratch build would be a good way to go. Although his plans seem intimidating a bit but with the right power set up which can be real cheap if he shops around and we all know fan fold is cheap and comes in bulk. I still have not used up all my fan fold that I purchased a year ago and we all know how many rebuilds I have made LOL

Buy the way good to see ya Joe been a long time

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I used a emax 2822 motor and a dirt cheap 18 amp esc both were under 10 bucks or so. On a 2 cell battery it kinda tame but i use a 3 cell 1300 lipo pack with a 8x4 prop giving me about 26 oz of thrust on a plane thats under 11 oz . It is not hard to build and the parts go together very fast. Fishbonze i see you have moved up to flying jets as i caught your thread and your sharp led afterburner . I was very sick for a long time and iam happy to be back and still building all my junk. Did you ever get your dart to fly well ? joe
Old 05-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #17
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

No unfortunatly I did not. I am still determined to get it right. I just needed to get away from it for a while and try new things. Glad to hear you are feeling better and I see you are no longer in florida but in Illinois. Did you retire? Went from one extreme to the other in weather there Joe. LOL

Back on topic I dont wish to steal the OP thread here I have a bad habit of doing that. What I enjoy about scratch building is the fact that you can always rebuild what you goof up and you really learn the ins and out of planes in general and learn how and why things work the way they do and cost is minimal. Also you dont have to be a rocket scientist to start out there are tons of plans out there and plenty of video instruction as well if you are like myself a visual learner. Pepcid go for it you will learn al ot and have a blast doing it

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

You are right about building your own plane and watching it fly but building with foam is cheap also . I build now with both but still lean towards scratch building balsa built planes. My seaplane flying time is here so i built the magnum for something to buzz around the lake and save my solent wear and tear but we will see if i can make all the meets i would like to. I have never lived in FL always in IL ,when i retire its off to AR .My friend merlyn with his 115 pound beech starship moved to FL but i wont go there (gods waitimg room ) lol joe
Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
You are right about building your own plane and watching it fly but building with foam is cheap also . I build now with both but still lean towards scratch building balsa built planes. My seaplane flying time is here so i built the magnum for something to buzz around the lake and save my solent wear and tear but we will see if i can make all the meets i would like to. I have never lived in FL always in IL ,when i retire its off to AR .My friend merlyn with his 115 pound beech starship moved to FL but i wont go there (gods waitimg room ) lol joe
HUnh for some reason I always thought you were living in Florida Dont tell me my memory is going along with my sanity OH NOOOO

Old 05-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I think you have me mixed up with the guy i said he spent his days chasing a stick around a golf cource,cant remember his online name .He was the one that told me to use 3 buck hobbyking servos in my 100 inch short solent that took a year to build and a orange reciever. I guess when it takes a hour or so to build a stick you can use that kinda stuff and dont worry about crashing it.lol joe
Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #21
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ouch. That cant be good. I am definitly mixing up your location LOL I thought you had planned to retire last winter. What part of AZ do you think you will move to? Weather is always good in AZ. Here we got snow tonight so my flight plans may be a bit delayed. Now that I think about it I think I was confused with Guapoman. He lives in Florida and for some reason I was thinking you and him lived in the same area

Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556 Here is another cheap easy build and it is a trainer . Fishbonze ,lake havisue AZ has a great club and they have a big water funfly every year . Not sure where i will end up in AZ but it will be some where i dont have to shovel 4 ft of snow anymore and i can ride my harley road king all year long.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I just finished the ulltimate cheapo semi-scratchbuild. I cheated slightly by using the Target/Wal-Mart $9.95 Air Hogs glider airframe for starters. Everything else, I already had in my desk drawer. (4) Htx servos, horns, rods, GH V2 with 30 amp esc, 6x4 prop, etc. So, it's a true $10.00 airplane.
Yet to maiden due to weather but it should be an easy flyer. Going to make the next an EDF. It's all possible once you start accumulating pieces and parts over time. Just look at it as amortization- LOL Plus, youre doing great things for the environment by recycling. At least , that's what I tell my wife.

The good news is that most of the time, your electrics and misc. parts can be recycled. Free foamie plans are available everywhere on the net and Dollar Tree Foam is as cheap as it gets.

If you can find a slightly used motor and esc combo for cheap off of a retired, or in my case, crashed plane somewhere, this can be done within your budget. But you'll still need an TX/RX combo that you might be able to find that for cheap also if you look hard enough.

Look at it this way: For the cost of two rounds of golf at a nice course, you could be flying something pretty nice. That's not including the $10.00 tip you give the cart girl for a $5.00 beer.

Should you find a Champ or Super Cub ready to go for cheap, you'll be up in the air before you can say: " No, not another tree !"

The addiction takes a few flights to set-in and onced you're hooked, there's no turning back.

-Hawk
Old 05-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #24
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

The tidewater pronto was my first trainer plane 34 years ago and it was the first kit i ever built so when the plans were put out there free i wanted another one and built it.It took a couple hours to hand cut parts and about a week to frame it(couple hours each day) couple more days to cover and paint.I have exactly 28 bucks in balsa and the rest of the parts i had already. I have had a blast flying my new/old plane and will enjoy it for a long time. Their were a bunch of guys that converted theirs to e -power but i wanted mine the way she was long ago with nitro. joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pronto.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	159909   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-pronto 3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	159910   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	159911   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	159912  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plan Pronto-MAN 8-72 Scan.pdf (1,007.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Here's a really good deal on a Futaba 6EX TX and matching Rx:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-TEX6-...item41659e30ef

I have this TX and love it.

That would be an investment you can grow with for a while anyway.

There's some ARF'S available that would bring you close to budget

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners