Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)
Default EF Edge 540T EXP 48"

My fingers are about to disobey my common sense and go order an Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP 48". Please talk me out of it before I get another plane I don't have room for!!!

AMA #959089
Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
arayhorton

Club: Central Alabama Sport Flyers
Friends: (1)
Default Negative can't do that!

I have the 60" Extra and my friend has the 48" Edge. He said ( and this guy has been flying for many, many years that it's the best plane he has ever flown. I'm waiting on a motor,but I can say this the parts fit is incredible. Also, we just got back from SEFF and were camped next to Joe Smith and Chris Hinson and they were ringing out both planes all day and all night. They preformed incredibly well. So, like I said I can't and won't talk you out of getting one..
Old 05-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by arayhorton View Post
I have the 60" Extra and my friend has the 48" Edge. He said ( and this guy has been flying for many, many years that it's the best plane he has ever flown. I'm waiting on a motor,but I can say this the parts fit is incredible. Also, we just got back from SEFF and were camped next to Joe Smith and Chris Hinson and they were ringing out both planes all day and all night. They preformed incredibly well. So, like I said I can't and won't talk you out of getting one..
That wasn't very helpful, but let me extend a warm welcome to Wattflyer anyway!

AMA #959089
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

you can make room for it easy, just get rid of some of those non-essentials (like furniture etc) that are cluttering up your hanger!

The Edge is a terrific model, go for it!. When you get it (I know you're going to) make sure to CA the joints where the landing gear plane fixes to the formers.. the instructions tell you to do so and if you don't the joints tend to spring open. Thats the only 'almost' negative thing i can think of to put you off

What motor do you have in mind?.. I love the Motrolfly DM2820/750 in mine.. over 300W per lb and decent efficiency too.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)

That plane was my first choice (I ended up with a 3DHS 48 Edge). I just couldn't afford their shipping charge. Nice plane though!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
What motor do you have in mind?.. I love the Motrolfly DM2820/750 in mine.. over 300W per lb and decent efficiency too.
No motor, since I'm not supposed to get any more planes!!!

But if I were to get a plane (which I'm not, mind you!), I was looking at the combo deal with the Torque motor. Any reason not to get that?

AMA #959089
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
No motor, since I'm not supposed to get any more planes!!!

But if I were to get a plane (which I'm not, mind you!), I was looking at the combo deal with the Torque motor. Any reason not to get that?
If you were to get it (which of course would never happen)The Torque is a nice motor, I used one in my Edge when i first built it but replaced it with the Motrolfly so i could spin the big 14" prop. The Torque has ample power but I just prefer the big prop and that extra punch.

I was never convinced by the Airboss ESC though. When run with the Torque motor you tend to get really bad start up judder. The motor just pulses back and forth, the Airboss ESC seems poor at getting in synch at start up. Many of the guys who run the combo package program an idle into their Tx or just click a few notches of trim on the throttle to prevent the motor from stopping which of course prevents this re-occurring (once you have the motor started initially). They all seem to be perfectly happy with that work around so maybe I'm just fussy. I just swapped ESC to a 50A ZTW and all the start up issues went away.

Here's a video of my old Yak running the EF combo power package to illustrate the issue:
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Luckily enough, the Edge seems to be out of stock. That should give me some time to come to my senses...

AMA #959089
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Apparently they have new stock arriving any day now
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

"I was never convinced by the Airboss ESC though."

I have the Torque set up in my EF Yak54 as well as in my 3DHS Extra. No isuues. (knocking on wood)

Don
Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
"I was never convinced by the Airboss ESC though."

I have the Torque set up in my EF Yak54 as well as in my 3DHS Extra. No isuues. (knocking on wood)

Don
Strange how some have the problem and others dont i thought at first it was only me and it was a simple case of a faulty ESC.. but when i read the EF threads on RCGroups it's obvious that it's not just me

As you can see from the video, I wasn't dreaming it. I did try all the different set up options and I re-soldered all the connections, nothing made any difference. It did go away when i replaced the ESC.

What set up are you running?.. The plane in the video was running the Torque 2814T/820 plus Airboss Elite 45A, 3s lipo and 14x7 prop (smaller prop didn't help)

Steve

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying