Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Alabama Flying Dude

Club: Alabama Phantoms
Friends: (2)
Default advice, phase 3 f-16, painting, flying ?

Hi,everyone, I need advice. 1. When painting the phase 3 f-16, I would like to prepare sections prior to spray painting. I need bright colors to keep orientation. I learned from a old Squall,, spraying walmart spray paint eats eps foam. I keep everything as economical as possible. I found f-16 kits at hobbypeople For $35.00 Plus $8.00 shipping from calif to alabama. Heck of a deal,,

I have heard water based poleurhtine preps are good prior to spraypainting. regardless of the rumor mill, Advice on a cheap prep covering prior to spray painting sections would be very helpful. I would like to go to the walmart or depot an pick up a cheap can of prep. I just need the experience from a flyer as to what to get

2. I have had the squall with elevons, . I need flying tips on the f-16 regarding control. Im going to run a detrum 3000kv 5 blade edf on a 60 amp esc off 4 cell stepping up to a 5 cell after break in. At those speeds in a standard fuselodge, BUT with out aelirons an rudder is new to me.

Flying teckniques to keep me from stalling, etc would be helpful.

Thanks guys

Alabama Flying dude
Old 05-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery80
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

I can't give you any painting pointers but I can give you some pointers abot flying it. My P3 F-16 is one of my favorite planes to fly.

Launch: After a good preflight just give her 100% throttle and and chuck her about 5 degrees above the horizon. Let it climb out for about 7-10 seconds and then it's OK to throttle down to about 40-50%.

I've never flown a Squall but I imagine they're similar. The F-16 looks like it has a sleeker cross section. When you're flying around remember to conserve/manage your energy and speed.

0% throttle is OK when you're flying straight or when you want to bleed off speed in a turn. This plane will glide for a long time when flying straight.

Other than that I'd just say take it easy and explore the flight envelope in small increments.

Good Luck!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	160078   Click image for larger version

Name:	f16pair.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	160079   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0077.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	160080  

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

With regards to painting. I have used Testors spray paints on every type of foam out there with no problem. This foam takes paint well, so I see no need to prep, save the extra weight! Unless you're absolutely a freak about your paint jobs, you won't notice any "errors" when this thing zips by you at 80mph!

I say black on the bottom, with a single wingtip stripe of orange or yellow. And then a red/blue or maybe yellow/blue combo on top. Something similar to the one on the ground in John's second pic above.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
4stripes

Friends: (0)

Testors, Tamiya Model Masters, Any plastic model spray paint seems to work well on foam. Pricey, but worth it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_32231.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	160086  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Alabama Flying Dude

Thanks a lot for the tips so far I appreciate it very much. I have a hobby lobby close by with a nice model car, plane, etc, aisle I will check that out

Alabama Flying Dude
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Friends: (0)

I use Tamiyas and an airbrush, only coz its easy not coz its cheap

My old F16 has been sitting round for almost 2 yrs with a Wemo/HET2W18 setup in it, after I broke the nose it got pushed aside, poor thing...
I recently swapped out the Wemo with my new Alloy CS10 blade fan unit, it has absolutely made the model and the thing now gets flown more than anything else!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elrBV1tkpQg

I am planning on building a new clean airframe with tigermeet colours so I can see it better!

Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
www.extremerc.com.au
Old 05-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Alabama Flying Dude

Default nice f-16

Extreme, nice video, Im waitin on hobby people phase 3 f-16 kit for $35.00 im going to put in a detrum 3000kv , 5 bladeI had in a airfield f-16 I totaled. I have a dynam meteor, Ive flown an belly landed a lot,

I was thrown on the flight performance of the f-16 it did a lot of cobra type of manuvers on me, stalled it out an it nosed in with a 3000mah battery,
a servo hard wire went thru the battery an the battery went up in a series of 4 smoke out fires, I have to admit it was impressive even if it did melt the front end LOL. amazingly out of 5 servos I lost only one, reciever, sattelite reciever extension, motor esc all fine. Go figure.

I like the cobra an high angle of the f-16 it just suprised me, Ill get a handle on it this time, LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets