Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
npowell28

Friends: (0)
Default Long Term Plan, Is it reasonable????

Ok, my long term plan is to build and fly a 56inch DH mosquito. Actually the build is well under way and is going well. It's based on a free plan i got from RCME but has been enlarged. It will have electric retracts, flaps, ailerons, rudder and elevator together with twin Keda 2837/18 electric motors running on 3s 1800mah lipos. Target weight is 55- 60 ounces(it's made from a good amount of depron hence the low weight).

Further to that i am fairly new to this game. I've been flying for about 2 years. I've built everything i've flown starting with a high wing profile depron plane with ailerons, Balsa Pixie Major from RCME, own design twin boom UAV pusher type thingy(flys excellent), low winged 36 inch depron aileron plane based on a plan for a plane called 'Must have it' again from RCME.

Like i said i've built all of these and the only one that has really given me trouble was the pixie. The COG was well out resulting in it having a nasty accident with the remains being put in the loft to be rebuilt another day. Lesson learnt. The 'Must have it!' has had some heavy/fast landings but i think that is down to the motor speed being far too high. I couldn't slow it down even with a smaller prop.

At this point your probably asking what is this guys point? Well like i said, i want to fly my DH Mosquito but i want to get some experience on flaps, retracts and the wing type first. My plan is to build a single motor plane based on the shape of the Mosquito. I'll use the same aspect ratio, taper ratio and a wing loading close to that of the mozzie i'm building. The fuselage wont have the same shape. It's more of stop gap/training model that can be built quickly and one that i won't be too upset about should it come to a nasty end.

So the question is, is this a reasonable plan?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Seems reasonable. Each individual plane has its own quircks, but to fly a generally similar plane would be good practice to get used to the speed and such.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
RZielin

Club: Rochester Modelers Club

Sounds like a great plan! I'd only suggest reading some threads on DH Mosquito stall characteristics. I believe the high aspect tapered wing causes nasty "tip stall" tendencies. Not a "forgiving" design. You can avoid tip stalls/snaps by limiting the elevator throw (to avoid abrupt or high angle of attack), keeping the speed up (esp on final approach and landing), and use little or no aileron, only rudder at slower speeds and during landing. There are also tricks like sharp leading edges inboard wings only, and WING WASHOUT, which I believe is mandatory on planes like this.

Your test mule would be a great way to check all this out. Rather than just tooling it around, I'd focus on exploring its stall characteristics in all situations. Get her up high and stall in all flight configurations to see what she does. Slow her down and trim up elevator to maintain level flight (which will be high AOA at slow speed) and practice turns with ailerons (should stall/snap) and rudder (should be better).

Finally, practice all this going downwind. The tailwind creates an optical illusion of airspeed when you really only have groundspeed, and much less airspeed than what you're seeing. That's the situation that will really bite you on a plane with touchy stall characteristics. A plane like this may need to be landed under power, with very little flair. Too much flair, too early and she'll balloon up and stall just when you cannot recover.

Sounds like something I should do too. It would certainly make me a better pilot if I practiced high enough to keep the plane in one piece. Best of luck!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
RZielin

Club: Rochester Modelers Club

Originally Posted by npowell28 View Post
The 'Must have it!' has had some heavy/fast landings but i think that is down to the motor speed being far too high. I couldn't slow it down even with a smaller prop.

)
By "smaller prop", if you mean smaller diameter, that would exacerbate your speed problem. What you want is a larger diameter prop with a smaller pitch. That will limit the top airspeed and act as an air brake when you cut the throttle. You'll need a calculator such as WebOCalc or Motocalc to see what props will work with your equipment, but a safe approximation is to go up 1 in in Diameter and 1 in down in pitch.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Club: Lorain County R/C Club
Friends: (5)

Go for it! Long term can let you polan and maybe do a better job. There's a guy on another thread building something like a 1/10th scale EDF B-47. Been putting up regular updates for over a year, is finally starting to cut foam. I think he wants it eventuyally for Top Gun type competitions. Intense documentation, even building an almost scale wing flap mechanism, and going to drop 4 decoy drones.
Always stretch for better things.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners