Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Turnigy 9x arming question

I just installed a 9x system in my glider. Removed an old Futaba FM system that was working properly. After binding the rx everything worked fine except the throttle. Motor won't arm. I feel like it's a tx issue as both my old Futaba as well as a DX7i worked fine. I think I have something amiss with the tx as the rudder and ele work fine. I'm getting a complex set of beeps from the esc but don't know enough about esc's nor do I have documentation that tells me how to decode the beeps. Kinda think it's a throttle stick position issue but it's down with trim as well. So therefore I kinda think it's in the 9x tx setup and programming. I'm having a tough time understanding the online manuals for the 9x. Any ideas?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Sounds the typical ESC arming situation :

Switch of everything.

a) Switch on Tx ... put throttle stick to FULL

b) Connect battery to model ... wait for BEEP - this indicates that ESC has detected FULL throttle position.

c) Bring throttle back to zero.... wait and ESC should beep a few times and then after maybe a few secs give a little music jingle telling you all is OK

I usually now switch all off and then reconnect with throttle at zero. You will hear beeps followed by music jingle ....

You can now control throttle.

IF the above doesn't work ... then REVERSE throttle ... and go through sequence again.

It's not the Tx ... it's the ESC doesn't know the throttle range.

All other controls will work ... rudder / elevator etc. as they are only getting Rx power from ESC not commands.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Ok, got it!

Went to the flying field today and finally figured it out. You were right of course, had to set both end points of the throttle and it saw it. I did find I needed to reverse the throttle in the radio setup and then it all worked fine.

Tossed the plane in the air and it all did wonderfully. Back on the ground and made adjustments with D/R and Expo and tossed it again. Had fun till storm clouds got too close and had to call it a day.

Thanks again!

Wayne
Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
SuchIsLife

Friends: (0)

Take care reversing throttle with the plane plugged in
Make sure you have a good grip on the tail. On second thoughts just don't do it

Dynam Spitfire, Dynam P-51, Electrafly Camel, scratchbuilt foamboard F-15 and full fuse Spad XIII, paper airplanes, rubber bands, anything I can fly.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by SuchIsLife View Post
Take care reversing throttle with the plane plugged in
Make sure you have a good grip on the tail. On second thoughts just don't do it
Agreed in most circumstance ... but in this motor is not arming ... and I did say repeat sequence ....

Point taken though as once a motor / esc is set and liable to arm .............

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros