Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
davidh1047

Friends: (0)
Default How to set up transmitters for use with a training cord

I have two 2.4 GHZ transmitters, one is a BlitZ.RC - AFM4CH that I use for my Sky Surfer and the other is a 2.4GHZ ESky - ET6I 6 channel that has a training switch that is used for a Belt CP helicopter. I have put a training cord between them and would like to get them to work together as a master/slave unit for training with the Sky Surfer. Do I need to change the frequency of the Esky transmitter to match that of the Blitz.RC to get them to work together? If so, what are the step by step instructions to change the frequency?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

Frequency has nothing to do with it so that won't be a problem.

But I have no idea if those particular TXs will work together....generally you can only rely on two TXs of the same make working. And if the "BlitZ.RC - AFM4CH" doesn't have a trainer switch then it definitely can't be used as the master control so unless the other Tx will fly the SkySurfer you're out of luck.

Steve
Old 05-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Agreed,

I have a couple of sets I use for training, and in each case the two TX's are identical. Some time ago, I did try to use a Futaba with a Polk as both of them used the same cable, but alas, it did not work.

Recently, I even tried to use a Radio Shack cable with my Airtronics ($7 vs $20) and although the cable fit perfectly and powered up the trainer box, it did not function. So these radio Mfg's go to a lot of effort to ensure only their name brand stuff works together.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I have a Futaba 6EX and our club has a bunch of old futaba FM's I'm thinking this should work. Something about matching up the trim settings though. Any magic to this?

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Something about matching up the trim settings though. Any magic to this?

-Hawk

The magic comes when you don't have a trainee trim your plane! J/K... My method is to first fly the plane alone on the master TX, and get it all trimmed out. Then, land and connect the slave TX. On the ground, switch back and forth from Master and Slave, and watch the trim settings. Get them as close visually as possible, and often that is enough. After you get it visually as close as possible, you get another pilot (or instruct the student on the trim) and take off. Ideally, when you switch back and forth, there should be no servo movement. Watch each control surface separately during the switching.

Once airborne, you go from master to slave momentarily , only to check trim. With the student radio only having the same throttle setting, you hold the trainer button (or switch) and watch the plane. You, the instructor then releases the trainer button, take control back, and tell the student what trim changes you want.

You go to the trainer box just long enough to see if it is trimmed. You take control back, then tell the other pilot, "one click up" or whatever you want. Then you momentarily hold the trainer button to check. If changes are needed to be made, you take control back, and tell them what to do on their box. They dont have to fly and trim, and you are still doing the thinking.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Thanks for the SOP Nitro !

Makes perfect sense now.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros