Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)
Default 6g-9g servos

I've been using HK HTX 9g servos on all my park flyer scratchbuilds. Have never had a problem with them. But it's always a pain waiting for the boat from China to arrive plus the high shipping costs. Prices at the LHS's for servos are out of site.

Was looking at Headsuprc.com who I have successfully bought other stuff from and they sell five different brands( Emax,GWS,Hitec,iflight and Towerpro) With exception of Hitec, they are all about the same price: $4.95.

Any to avoid?

Any other good sources for inexpensive light servos?

Thanks,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)

www.valuehobby.com : $2.65 TowerPro 9G's.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks NFA,

I'll give them a look !

Best,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

At $1.99 a servo ... I've had good from these :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Servo.html

OK - so maybe you get a dud one every so often ... but at the price - keep the dud one for spare gears ....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I have exclusively used the tower hobbies 9g servo's. I haven't had any problems. I did break on in a crash, but all the others have help up fine. I have not gotten any duds yet. Heads up also only charges $2 shipping, and you'll get it in one or two days.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I have exclusively used the tower hobbies 9g servo's. I haven't had any problems. I did break on in a crash, but all the others have help up fine. I have not gotten any duds yet. Heads up also only charges $2 shipping, and you'll get it in one or two days.
I use Tower Pro SG90's in my helis ... good all round plastic servo .... but when you can get TGY9e for 1/2 the price and basically same servo ?

I agree that delivery time is the killer for many purchases ...

There is one problem with Tower Pro servos that I have found ... you can buy replacement gear sets for the SG90 ........ but all sets I have and TP servos - the output gear that is usually the gear to strip its intermediate teeth is different in the sets and doesn't fit the shaft.
I therefore changed to just buying servos and swapping out for new ...

When you start dismantling servos and looking at gears etc. - you start to see that re-labeling is rife in this ... the Mystery format servo is very popular in the re-label market ... as to who is the actual origin of Mystery ?? I can say this - the TGY9e uses exact same gears ...........

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Hawk,

If you really want to stick to HXT servos, I sell them on my site. Both the 500 and 900 versions. Click the link in my sig.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks guys !

I've looked at value hobby, headsuprc, Grayson, hobbypartz, etc. It always seems I get caught up in the " out of stock" syndrome. Learned a while ago to never to place an order for something that is out of stock. Seems there's a run on servos these days.

Hay, love the $2.00 shippng costs. But then I start looking for other items I need like Y connectors, earth magnets, led lights, electric retracts, etc in an effort to combine everything on one order. Low and behold, each vendor usually has one or two things I need but not all, thus, 3 orders. With HK, I can usually find just about everything, but again, the shipping costs sometims are equal or greater than the cost of the item. No happy medium. I do have enough aircraft to fly while I wait. Not like I'm grounded.

BTW, thanks Pat ! I will look. You're one of my parkjet mentors !

Cheers,

Hawk

Old 05-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
spad

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
At $1.99 a servo ... I've had good from these :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Servo.html

OK - so maybe you get a dud one every so often ... but at the price - keep the dud one for spare gears ....
Buy from a U.S. seller and you'll never regret paying just a little more-H.K. should just say they don't offer fair returns or warranty claims and get it over with, rather than treating people so badly.

While I love Hitec servos, for most of my needs the Chinese ones from Headsuprc.com are just fine! Jeff WILL treat your returns or warranty claims fairly and PROMPTLY!

For my money, it is quite irrational to say, "I got it cheap, so if I get hosed a time or to, so what."
Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

rc-dymond.com has some pretty good prices on servos and they sell other things too. Plus they are in FL, so the shipping will not take that long. I've had good luck with them so far.

Ed
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
startazz

Friends: (2)

[QUOTE=spad;870459]Buy from a U.S. seller and you'll never regret paying just a little more-H.K. should just say they don't offer fair returns or warranty claims and get it over with, rather than treating people so badly.

Sorry but i don't agree with this comment at all,i've been shopping with Hobbyking for over 5 years now and i've never had a problem with them or there CS.
Ok i know they have had there customer service down for a week or so,which is because they have just gave it an over haul,by training a bunch of new staff and there live chat is now back online going by what i read over on there twitter feeds.
So they are really sorting that side of things out by the sounds of it.

There again you will always get someone moaning about something or just jumping on the band wagon to knock a company because they think it's cool to do it because they see other people doing it.

I know if Hobbyking wasn't about i wouldn't have no where near as many warbirds,EDF planes,batteries,charger and other RC gear,not everyone can afford to pay the sort of money some of the local hobby shops want,i know i can't so i go to HK and i'm glad of it.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
touche

Money aside..for the few bucks extra I will give kudos/business to HURC. Always there either in person or by email and no issues with deliveries.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't TowerPro 9g and HXT 9g the exact same product?

In any case, get them from HeadsUpRC.com. Cheap, über-fast shipping and friendly service.

[Edit: Their shipping isn't free, but at $2 flat, it's cheap enough to "feel" free to me...]

AMA #959089
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Again,

Many thanks. I've ordered from HURC before and the experience was great so I just placed an order for a 6 pack of TP 9g servos and some other goodies. $2.00 shipping ? Gotta love those apples ! Actually , when I factor in the shipping, even though HK has ridicously low prices on most stuff, HURC is better . I even upgraded the shipping to 3-5 days and the cost to do this was only an extra $3. Plus, you can talk to someone if you need to.

They rock !

-Hawk

Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't TowerPro 9g and HXT 9g the exact same product?

In any case, get them from HeadsUpRC.com. Cheap, über-fast shipping and friendly service.

[Edit: Their shipping isn't free, but at $2 flat, it's cheap enough to "feel" free to me...]
I don't think they are exactly the same. The horns aren't interchangeable on the examples I have nor is the board inside exactly the same. That said, when I opened a HXT-9 to solder in longer leads there was a Tower Pro QC sticker on the inside.

I haven't noticed a difference in performance or function.

I order a dozen at a time and extra HXT gear sets.

Headsuprc is awesome and my go-to store when I need something quick.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
NFA Fabrication

Is there an actual tower hobbies made 9G, or are you referring to the "TowerPro" servo's?

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Thanks guys !

I've looked at value hobby, headsuprc, Grayson, hobbypartz, etc. It always seems I get caught up in the " out of stock" syndrome.
I've never seen them out of stock at Value Hobby, and they are US based, and are only $2.65/Ea., Not much more you could ask for! Are the TowerPro 9G's identical to the HXT900's? They look identical to me, but to be honest, I haven't had to open either of them. I have a box with a bunch of each, I may just open one of each and take a look...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by spad View Post
Buy from a U.S. seller and you'll never regret paying just a little more-H.K. should just say they don't offer fair returns or warranty claims and get it over with, rather than treating people so badly.

While I love Hitec servos, for most of my needs the Chinese ones from Headsuprc.com are just fine! Jeff WILL treat your returns or warranty claims fairly and PROMPTLY!

For my money, it is quite irrational to say, "I got it cheap, so if I get hosed a time or to, so what."
You'll buy a lot of these before you get a bad one. By that time you have saved plenty of money to laugh it off and keep the servo for gears. Can't buy a gear set for $1.99, can you?

These HK15178 servos are noticeably faster and better centering than the eFlite servos that came with my Radian. I have a pair that is now over a year old in my Slow Stick and not a speck of trouble.

Let's compare with a little thought experiment. We'll buy 10 $4.95 servos and we'll pretend we don't have a problem with any of them, although that is not guaranteed. So you've spent $49.50.

Now let's buy 10 $1.99 HK servos, spending $19.90. If one of them is bad, have I saved enough money to laugh it off? Let's see.....$49.95 - 19.90 = $30.05.....hmmmmmmm. I can buy another 15 servos with what I saved! Sounds like I'm laughing and I'm not irrational at all.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Now let's buy 10 $1.99 HK servos, spending $19.90. If one of them is bad, have I saved enough money to laugh it off? Let's see.....$49.95 - 19.90 = $30.05.....hmmmmmmm. I can buy another 15 servos with what I saved! Sounds like I'm laughing and I'm not irrational at all.
Now lets say that $1.99 servo fails in flight after 10 flights. The plane flys away and crashes your 1lb airplane into a 5 year old kid getting out of the car to go into the school. Hmmmm

I get it - any servo at any quality range can fail (and I have had some expensive name brand failures too).

I use a few HK servos and have had OK luck with them - couple failed right out of the box, one other in flight. I stopped buying them as 20% OBF was too high for them. I put the rest of them in stuff I don't care about for sure. And lets not mention those servos consume about 2-3 times the power EACH of a Hitec HS-55.

My new parkie bipe that I have spent many hours building and covering will get Hitec servos. Worth every extra penny to me.

Mike
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Now lets say that $1.99 servo fails in flight after 10 flights. The plane flys away and crashes your 1lb airplane into a 5 year old kid getting out of the car to go into the school. Hmmmm
Step 1: Who the hell is flying in such an area?

Step 2: I have heard of virtually no in flight failures on these cheap servo's when used properly, just ones that were DOA.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Mike,

I agree with you to a degree because I think it is a matter of degree. Would I use these Tower pro's or Htx's in a heli or high performance and expensive arf? No. But for the cheapie foamie scratchbuilt stuff I fly, yes. My hope is that pilots flying fast,heavy,scale, fixed wing gassers and especially, heli pilots, use the best servos available.

-Hawk

Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
spad

Friends: (0)

[QUOTE=startazz;870493]
Originally Posted by spad View Post

Sorry but i don't agree with this comment at all,i've been shopping with Hobbyking for over 5 years now and i've never had a problem with them or there CS.
Ok i know they have had there customer service down for a week or so,which is because they have just gave it an over haul,by training a bunch of new staff and there live chat is now back online going by what i read over on there twitter feeds.
So they are really sorting that side of things out by the sounds of it.

There again you will always get someone moaning about something or just jumping on the band wagon to knock a company because they think it's cool to do it because they see other people doing it.

I know if Hobbyking wasn't about i wouldn't have no where near as many warbirds,EDF planes,batteries,charger and other RC gear,not everyone can afford to pay the sort of money some of the local hobby shops want,i know i can't so i go to HK and i'm glad of it.
Spend your money where you wish and opine whatever you want-I'll do the same.

I bought from them in the first days and only stopped recently and reckon I've spent about $5,000 with them which (1) bought no seller loyalty at all and (2) only made a sucker of me in the END.

I find your speculation as to my intent offensive at best.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #22
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Step 1: Who the hell is flying in such an area?

Step 2: I have heard of virtually no in flight failures on these cheap servo's when used properly, just ones that were DOA.
Me. Others too.

Our Club flying field (where we fly big fast electric, gas, glow models) is across the street from soccer fields. Many park fliers (me included) also fly at at school yards. Are you saying you have never flown within a mile of people?

I get it guys - I am glad so many are happy with the cheap servos, I am not on board yet.

Mike
Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I have only broken one tower pro 9gram servo, and that was in a crash. My eflight servo's (the ones recommended for my plane by the way) broke on minor crashes with my slow stick, where the servo is the only thing that broke. Were talking a not so good learning landing, or slight stall. The tower pro's also have a lot more pull before making noise or stalling.

Why would you order gears for a $2-4 servo?

Also, even if I lost one out of four servo's, I think I would still have a good chance at landing. Couldn't tell you how many times I accidentally plug my servo in backwards on my servo extension when I had the wing off(okay, probably only two or three times. I almost always do a pre-flight check.). Took the plane off, realized something was wrong, landed and fixed it, then went back up.

I have also had a quick connector come loose several times in my elevatr, and still managed to get it down okay that time too. If you want to uby $30 servo's for your $100 airplane go ahead.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #24
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Also, even if I lost one out of four servo's, I think I would still have a good chance at landing.
For the record - when servos fail in flight - sometimes they do so at one extreme. So you think you can land with one aileron full up or down? I would like to see that.

Couldn't tell you how many times I accidentally plug my servo in backwards on my servo extension when I had the wing off(okay, probably only two or three times. I almost always do a pre-flight check.). Took the plane off, realized something was wrong, landed and fixed it, then went back up.
Simple that means the servo was likely centered - and stayed that way. Not a big deal - but VERY different from a failed servo. Again they rarely fail perfectly centered.

I have also had a quick connector come loose several times in my elevatr, and still managed to get it down okay that time too. If you want to uby $30 servo's for your $100 airplane go ahead.
Pretty rare to land a plane with no elevator control. Not common for sure. I only have one plane that would work with. When you start flying more advanced models you will find the same.

Hitec HS-55's I get on sale in bulk for between $7-8. Same for GWS Pico's I like. Not $30.

By the way I do have some high dollar sevros (like $50-60 each) for airplane I need quality, good centering, good holding power, digital servos. They too are WORTH every penny.

Again I am not convinced. About a year ago - I tried some nice 10g metal gear servos for $5 each. I bought 4. Two NEVER worked and the other two buzzed, made very loud noises in use and one of those failed on the tester (I always run new servos for 10 minutes on my automated tester).

The other one worked - but had such low power output it was unusable. It was nowhere near rated torque.

Then to top it off - I checked the amperage it used. That is right it used 4x the power of an HS-55 servo.

That was a waste of $20.

So again - I am not convinced.

Mike
Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Mike
But Mike, that is the point. Let's say your $5.99 servo fails in flight after 4 flights. The plane flies away and crashes your 1 lb airplane into a 5 year-old kid getting out of the car to go to school. You're A LOT better off than doing the same thing with a $1.99 servo.......how?

My experience is that the $1.99 servo is better, more reliable too, than the much more than $5.99 servos that come in my Radian. I've seen people complain about the reliability of servos all over the price range. There are lousy cheap servos, lousy mid-priced and lousy premium servos. So you pick your servo the best you can, test it the best you can and go fly.

But playing "lets say...." is just a fallacy. My Slow Stick hasn't flown away in more than a year and hundreds of flights. I am convinced that the probability of that happening with the $1.99 servo is about the same as any servo of any price. Either you have a good one or a bad one.

So we're just spending extra money for false sense of security. REAL security comes from experience and testing of the equipment you are flying, ensuring that everything you can control is in flying order.

That's called the "paper tiger" technique where you erect a fallacy as the truth and use it to try to convince the unwary that you are correct. Richard Nixon was the master of the technique. Never argue with your opponent. Just erect an easily ridiculed false position and bludgeon it unmercifully to the great delight of the masses.

My $1.99 servos have proven themselves reliable. They've earned my trust and will continue to trust them. I won't hesitate to buy more. However, using them inappropriately would be just as disastrous as using a $30 10g servo inappropriately. They have definite limits and if you stray outside those limits stuff and people and things break.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions