Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
danauti1

Friends: (0)
Default Setup help with foam ducted fan F16

I aquired an F16 in a trade. I have a spektrum DX6i transmitter and a spektrum receiver.

The jet has 2 servos. One on each side between the elevator and aileron mounted horizontally on the fuselage.
Each servo runs the elevator and aileron on its side.
I thought this was an elevon type of setup??
When I set my radio to that I cannot get it to respond correctly. I can get the roll left to work but the elevator is reversed and changing it in the setup doesn't work. It is more like the ailerons are on the ele channel and vice versa. I tried switching them and every fricking config in my radio. I even yanked the servos and reversed them manually....

I am at a total loss here. I have set up zagis and glider delta wings. Heck I have had many elevon type aircraft. Never with this radio though always my old JR 653...

HELPPPPPP plz...

this is a pic of the f16 it also shows the servo setup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-16-Ready-T...item4ab77ce488
Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

As simple as you think these would be, it sure is easy to get baffled by these! So since you didn't specify it, we should start at square one. On page 45 of the Dx6i manual it shows the left elevon should be plugged into the AILE port of the rx, and the right elevon into the ELEV port.

Since you got it used, I guess you might not know if one servo is a reverse servo or not, but I'd start with both channel reversers switched to normal to start. I don't know if a reversed servo would make this impossible.

I can't see your pic since E-Bay is blacked at my workplace, but on my Skyray which has elevons, the servos are mirrored, so hopefully yours are too.

I guess that's a start. I guess I'd do that then start simple, like do the elevators work right? (If the right elevon goes the wrong way when working the elevator channel, try reversing the ELEV channel. If the left one is backwards, reverse the AILE ch.) Then do the ailerons work properly to the right then left.

Note that the ailerons on the wings will act funky. I just got an F-22 that has a similar deal with the one servo working the elevon and aileron on each side. But I guess it must work. The aileron just goes in the same direction as the elevon. Seems counter-intuitive for situations like flaring to land, where instead of acting like a flap and going down, the aileron would move up.

Anyways give that a try and then we'll see where it's at. Sorry if you've already checked this, just figured it's best to start at the basics.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Duhh! I just realized I forgot to ask if you have the ELEVON mode enabled on the WING/TAIL mix page in your tx? That comes first. Page 44 in the manual.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
danauti1

xmech2k, I have done and tried all those things so far...Still baffled by this...i even (for good measure) undid the ailerons and just attempted to get the elevator to work correctly and no luck...
Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Did you check the possibility one of the servos being a reversed one? I think the 6i is set up so it doesn't need one.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

So I just looked at my Skyray, and assuming both your servos have the wires coming out towards the front of the plane, the layout is the same. In my radio on the wing/tail mix page, DUALAILE and V_TAIL are INH, ELEVON is ACT. On my REVERSE page, the aileron function is reversed. So on my monitor page, when you move the elevator, the aileron and elev carots move in opposite directions. When you move the aileron, the carots move in the same direction.

Let me run a test and see if one of my servos is a reversed one. It would be easier with a y-harness, but I'm out of those at the moment.I'll get back afterwards.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, I happened to already have my rx hanging out of my Skyray due to a repair I'm doing after a less than spectacular landing... I ran an experiment. With just the LH servo plugged into the ELEV port, it functioned properly as an elevator. (Of course) Then I plugged in the RH servo into the ELEV port of the rx, and it worked backwards to elev inputs. So this is telling me I don't have a reversed servo installed. It was ARF, so they were what came in the plane.)

My Skyray servos and elevons have the same mechanical setup as your F-16. (Without the wing ailerons, of course) So you should get the same results with the same test.

*** REVELATION! *** I just realized, in my Skyray, my elevons are plugged into the rx OPPOSITE to what the 6i manual says! Don't know or remember how I did that! But it works. So since they are mechanically identical, the same electronic setup should work for you:

LH servo plugged into ELEV.
RH servo plugged into AILE.
On wingtail mix page, elevon activated, others inhibited.
On reverse page, aileron reversed.

Hope that works! Unless I have 2 reverse servos it should! Can't wait to see if it works. I know this kind of thing can be frustrating!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
danauti1

printed that off and heading home shortly to see if that works...everything you said in the first paragraph about the setup and response is accurate on mine also...

(I ran an experiment. With just the LH servo plugged into the ELEV port, it functioned properly as an elevator. (Of course) Then I plugged in the RH servo into the ELEV port of the rx, and it worked backwards to elev inputs. So this is telling me I don't have a reversed servo installed. It was ARF, so they were what came in the plane.)

on another note...any reason a spektrum receiver (i have two actually a micro and one with a satellite) would just have a steady light on instead of blinking when trying to bind...they dont respond at all...I bought them off ebay and neither will bind to my dx6i? I was thinking maybe they are an old style or something maybe? I will post the part numbers when i get home...

microlite parkflyer AR6100e

ultralite AR6200 w satellite.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Here's what I do on my JR radio (similar to Spektrum). First, pick a slot on the radio and reset evertything to factory spec (all switches set the same, all sub-trims to 0, all mixes off, etc). Then set wing type as "ELEVON" (for my JR it's "DELTA"). Plug the left hand servo into Aileron and the right hand servo into Elevator on the RX.

If the servos were installed correctly, then everything should move in the correct position right off the bat. If not, you can try using the servo reverse switches in the radio programming (switch one at a time and try all configurations). If none of that works, switch the servo plugs at the RX and try again.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to remove one servo and flip it over. In order to determine if the servos are installed correctly, both servos should be installed so that the servo arms are in the same spot on the airframe. If one arm is closer to the ailerons on one side, and the elevators on the other, then you need to flip one of them.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
danauti1

closest i have gotten so far...reset everything...set it to elevon...reversed the ailerons...now i have up & down but the ailerons left & right are reversed?? any suggestions?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
danauti1

PRAISE GOD PRAISE GOD LOL!!!! ail in the ele and ele in the ail ail neutral and ele reversed!!! thanks for all the input and advice...What a headache harder that the rubiks cube!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

"And there was much rejoicing!" Man, talk about plug and pray. Glad you got it. Let us know how she flies! Good luck with the maiden.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
danauti1

Saturday at the field...Hope it at least flies decent...I got it super cheap in a mass trade/sale...Thanks again...
Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
danauti1

Flew great thanks again for all the help...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros