Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
vonveska

View vonveska's Gallery9
Friends: (1)
Default Cellpro 10S menu question

Hi,
I just purchased a Cellpro 10S and I am still learning to use it. So far I have used it only few times but it is a really accurate and fast charger and I am very happy with it.
However, I found a bit annoying cycling through the menu options if you want to change a preset (cycling through 0.1A up 10A, then 1C, 2C, 3C, store ... ) and if I miss the preset I want I have to cycle through all options again. I wonder if there is any way I can go back in cycling through the options?
Another question is accurate charging - if I set the option to accurate charging (3S, 2300 mAh) @ 1C it starts charging at 3-6A up to about 90% full and then it tapers off. I thought that @1C the charging current would be max 2.3 A for 2300 mAh battery? I do not mind charging at higher currents if this if perfectly healthy for the batteries, I just wonder if this is my wrong setup or if this is normal.
Thanks,
vonveska
Old 06-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by vonveska View Post
Hi,
I just purchased a Cellpro 10S and I am still learning to use it. So far I have used it only few times but it is a really accurate and fast charger and I am very happy with it.
However, I found a bit annoying cycling through the menu options if you want to change a preset (cycling through 0.1A up 10A, then 1C, 2C, 3C, store ... ) and if I miss the preset I want I have to cycle through all options again. I wonder if there is any way I can go back in cycling through the options?
Another question is accurate charging - if I set the option to accurate charging (3S, 2300 mAh) @ 1C it starts charging at 3-6A up to about 90% full and then it tapers off. I thought that @1C the charging current would be max 2.3 A for 2300 mAh battery? I do not mind charging at higher currents if this if perfectly healthy for the batteries, I just wonder if this is my wrong setup or if this is normal.
Thanks,
vonveska
Did you buy the $22 programming cable for your Cellpro charger? If so, you can program specific setups for the batteries you use directly into the menu.

I've got my Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger set up this way.

Menu #1 6S4P A123 charge at 28 Amps
Menu #2 6S2P A123 charge at 14 Amps
Menu #3 6S1P A123 charge at 07 amps
Menu #4 2S1P A123 charge at 0.9 Amps through the balance cables
Menu #5 Transmitter Nih battery charge at 0.5 Amps
Menu #6 Receiver Nih battery charge at 0.5 Amps

You can program the charging rate for each of your various LiPo batteries (or A123 or just about any other type of rechargeable battery) And you can give each of the charging rates a specific name.

The charging information for all the menus above are displayed on the Cellpro chargers LCD display as a reminder of what the charge rate will be.
My cellpro charger can charge from one to 8 series cells in menu's one through four just by plugging in the A123 batteries. The cell count is automatic through the balance cables.

The remaining menus are left as is.

You can even put your name and phone number into the Cellpro LCD display when you turn it on.

Programming it for your battery setup takes a little figuring it out, and reading the manual about a dozen times. Once its programmed, you can lock the settings so they can't be changed accidentally. The programming info is written to flash memory inside the Cellpro charger. The only way to change it is to re-write it again with the programming cable.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
vonveska

View vonveska's Gallery9

No, I did not buy the programming cable, but I will consider it now. It will make the whole setup easier even if I use the charger only for lipos. I should have bought it with the charger, would save me the postage.
Thanks for your quick reply and help,
regards,
vonveska
Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
vonveska

View vonveska's Gallery9

Sorry, it's me again - when you mentioned programming cable - do you mean USB adapter - http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-usb-fuim3.html ?
Thanks,
vonveska
Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Sorry, it's me again - when you mentioned programming cable - do you mean USB adapter - http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-usb-fuim3.html ?
Thanks,
vonveska
Yup that's it, and its a danged good price!

You'll be swearing at the thing when you first try doing the programming. But once you've done the first menu selection, its easy to do the remaining menu items. They all program the same way. Took me about an hour fooling around with it before understanding what I was doing. What is involved is taking a "Default" charging routine, copy it to Menu #1, (or 2, or 3), rename the menu for the battery you'll be charging (Like "3000 LiPo". Then go to the right hand screen and set up the charging parameters you'd like to use, such as maximum charge rate, how low the charging rate drops off before its "done" and so on. Be certain to go to the bottom of the screen and "lock" it so those settings can't be permanently changed at the Cellpro charger keypads.

DennyV
Old 06-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
vonveska

View vonveska's Gallery9

Thanks Denny, I am scared , but I'll try.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Thanks Denny, I am scared , but I'll try.
LOL
I won't say the Cellpro chargers are idiot proof, but they are pretty good!

DennyV
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #8
vonveska

View vonveska's Gallery9

Yes, the Cellpro 10S is very acurate, I have one iMax B6 and one Hyperion EOS 0606i to compare with and the Cellpro is definitly the best in accuracy. I am just surprised that the charger does not have discharge function and consequently you can't use the STORE function if the battery is over storage capacity.
The B6 is cheap, easy to use and it has all options, including discharge, separate balancing etc, it is the most versatile charger, but the accuracy is questionable. It happily charges everything but at the end the cells may not be properly balanced.
Hyperion is more careful, it stops charging if it can't balance the pack, but that's it - you can't do anything about it - I had to put the battery on the B6 and use balancing function. Now I have the Cellpro and it does a proper charging and balancing and the cells are perfectly balanced all the time.
This is what I found so far, I am learning that's why I appreciate the help from this forum.
Regards,
vonveska

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct