Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Special Interest Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Friends: (0)
Default The Hobby King Para Wing

I was looking for something to make up the weight in a recent order and got a Parawing for about $18. (Wing only) I fly these things full size so the concepts are understood but I wonder how others have approached the challenges of a mini version. My thoughts run two ways. As a slope soarer and as a Power Chute.

Of course the easy way is to buy the Hobby King "cart" but I wanted to tinker with bits I have to hand. If you have had a go at one of these please let me know the path you followed.

Best wishes
Old 07-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
grahamw

Looks like it just you!
Please let us know how you get on - looks interesting.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Well, now that someone dug this up!

One of the guys at our club got a parawing from HK, as well, not sure if it's the same one, and made a powered parachute with a GI Joe doll, motor, and servo. I guess it used the servo for steering, and throttle for climb/descend. It was really neat. Alas, they flew it on too windy of a day once, and is still hanging in a utility line... We're waiting for the strings to deteriorate and let the poor guy down!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

That is so-oooooo sad. I have at last hit on a theory for that little beast. It involves removing the tape Harness lines and making a series of copies with progressively shorter leads to the A's, B's and C's. The D's need not be adjusted. I got the tip from a European site where they make a really good but expensive version called the Spiral. When you float it up it must rise over your head and when released (free flight) it must move forward. Mine only ever went backwards. I am sure it will take a lot of careful testing but I am equally sure it will eventually work. All joints in the line clusters should be checked and given an extra drop of Cyano.

Best wishes.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
wbuttry

Friends: (1)

I ordered this same wing what is the weight it will carry. I wanna do it for aerial videos and fpv. Mount my cam on a pan tilt mech and use it to look around and see the sites from above. It would be nice if it could handle at least 2 lb maybe a little less. I will design my own gondola and use sewing looms for my prop guard and maybe use use square hard wood for my gondola frame. And i have landing gear on a 25 size trainer i can rig for it . Sounds like this is gonna be a awesome project for me to do. And very fun. I'll post as i get going i'll post my own thread and do the build log so i dont hijack anybody's thread .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	il_570xN_249516063.jpg
Views:	1735
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	161946 they come in all different sizes so i'm sure i can find one big enough
Old 08-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default Para wing as a camera platform

I still have not made mine fly forwards because I have ben building a heap of other things. But I have a big doubt about a 2 pound load and I suspect that the pendulum effect coupled with the twisting style of paraglider flight, will make photographic work very difficult.

The best I can say is that I will follow your efforts with interest and offer any tips as I see them arise. The number one task however is to get it to fly over your head while still restrained. Make no investments in extra gear until it will fly forward when released. The Spiral sems to carry very little weight apart from the radio gear (half a pound max) which is tucked inside the Pilot and harness.
Best wishes BMP
Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
wbuttry

Well the 2 pounds maybe alot more. But at 84 inches wide and and 21.25 from lead to trailing edge it might be able to carry the weight it will consist of the gondola maybe16 oz a 7 oz motor that produces 5 1/2 lbs of thrust 2 3s 2200 mah in paralell and a i phone size video cam that weighs maybe 6 ozs I already have all the servos motors props wood everything to build it just waiting on the canapy and if it gets way to heavy i will use a smaller motor. Maybe one 3s2200 may half to anyway. Specially if it seems to sluggish on the climb out. I guess i could build just a pod for the cam battery and motor no gear and to arms for the brake lines do a hand launch and a hand catch .But like you said i gotta get it to kite first and i dont know anything about it yet just seen a pic or to and seen a video where it was flying not sure how much trouble it is gonna be.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default Curious

That is quite a bit biger than mine. I should go on line and check the range now available. Mine is about 72 inches span and 18 wide. The first thing I did was to make a Kite handle for mine so that one hand was lifting the riser cluster and the other was steering the brake lines. When you first get yours (if it is the same as mine) you will not have a real good understanding of how long the brake lines need to be. I suggest you start with 6 inches longer than the main group. The risers are really too short to permit a standard A riser D riser launch as you would with a full size PG. Before facing any serious wind be prepared to secure all the joints with a micro drop of cyano. It's a hell of a job if more than one lets go. You mention a flying video I have only seen a very dodgy flight on U tube. Maybe I should go back to it. BMP
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
wbuttry

here is the one i got http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14284 215 centimetters wide and 54 cm from leadn to trailin edge
tower hobbies has a conversion calculater i use for the measurement
Old 08-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default Big differences.

That is very different to mine. Colours identical but marketing and size hugely different. I am going to order another. I am about to go on Paragliding holiday and will have ideal conditions to test it. I noted the riser trims. That is a very useful picture. I have seen one of the old ones fly with the $30 cart so I know that works. But I don't think the cart was very heavy. I will get active on mine and we can swap notes.
BMP
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #11
wbuttry

sounds good to me u might wanna invest in the new one it seems to me that maybe theolder style wont carry much but i bet this one might carry quite a bit i been wanting a powered parachute for years cant seem to come up with the money life gets in the way when i lived in salt lake i did hang glideing there is nothing like jumping off a cliff with a kite on your back
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

I have copied the critical bridle shot and measuring carefully my thinking (it is all flash guesswork really) that the risers have lowered to the folowing extent.

The picture was taken with the A (leading edge riser) at the front and the D risers at the back. The brake line to this left hand group is passing through a tube (presumably to a servo. At this point I am not interested in the brake line.

It seems to me that, in true scale, the mallion on the C group riser is 8mm lower than the D. The B mallion is 30mm lower than the C and the A mallion is 35 mm lower than the B.

While these details may not be correct on my wing which is smaller and they may be a bit adrift on yours, due to difficulties in measuring photographs, I think you will find they give an excellent starting point for experiments. They certainly show why my first attempts were hopeless.

Using long pins across the webbing to hold the adjustments I attempted an inflation but the wind, at less than 5 knots, was insufficient to draw any conclusions. The picture shows an electrical tie strip used to hold the risers temporarily.

In a full size paraglider the conventional design wisdom is that the webing risers are equal in length and the lines are adjusted to achieve the "trim" angle of attack. That makes sense in mass producing a wing. For experiments like ours temporary adjustments to the risers will prove much easier. At the end of the experimental stage it would be a good idea to observe full size practice. For me that is some way ahead.

I note that the commercial European version claims to fly in 20-25 knot winds. That is very interesting as that is way above the usually recommended windstrength for normal paragliding operations. They did not show an anemometer in the utube clip and so we cannot be sure but it certainly was a "strong" day for this veteran.

I have ordered my new wing. Yours should arrive before mineCould you measure the lengths of the ABC&D lines from the wing attachmment to the mallion. You need only measure the line closest to the centre. And while you are at it I would like to cross check the length of the bridle from the bottom of the group loop to the top of the D mallion. In my case that is 110mm. BMP
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
wbuttry

well i started my build thread on the gondola i will do my best to take my time but i suck at building real slow probally have it built by monday i got a lot of pics that i'm takeing so you can see what i'm doing and what i did it is called gondola build log see u there i just dont wanna hijack your thread plus we need a build log so people can get a idea of what to do may do a heck of a lot better and more complicated than mine .
Old 08-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #14
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

I looked for your build thread but did not find it. You are most welcome to do a build log on this thread. I am sure it will answer many of my questions for me. But of course that is your call. BMP
Old 08-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
wbuttry

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67730
Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

A variation on the riser adjustment sees D as is. The top of the C mallion is immediately under the cross member of the D mallion. The top of the B mallion is simialrly under the C mallion. Those three are then tied with an electrical tie grip. The A mallion is secured with a second tie grip. The top of the A mallion is about 20 to 25 mm below the cross member of the B mallion. It is clear from this arrangement that the designer sees that the B C and D risers need little further adjustment(maybe none) but that the A riser may need some fine tuning.

There is still no wind here and so I cannot check this out. Don't worry. Nil wind is very rare here and within a day or so I will have answers relevant to my small 1.8m Hobby King Wing.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #17
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

And half an hour later a wind came up. Good news. while the perfect st up has not been found I am close to it. In medium strength wind a well trimmed paraglider will fly over the top of the pilot and (if not checked) will keep going until the front tucks under and it falls out of the sky (on top of the pilot usually) In that situation the wing needs to be checked as it nears the top with a slight touch of brakes. Mine still has no tendency to do that which tells me that the leading edge is still too high. But I used needles to fix the risers. A tiegrip would make on site adjustment less painful.

Sucess is near at hand. And the lift is impressive. Maybe two pounds is a goer.
BMP.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
wbuttry

sounds to me like you are getting yours under control i gotta wait till mine gets in if to pounds is possible with the 2.4 meter one then i'm not making my gondola to heavy then i was kinda afraid i'm making it heavey but with 5 pounds of thrust it should be fine..

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Special Interest Aircraft