Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Tom Sawyer

Friends: (0)
Default Dont forget safety!

Just thought I would share this as it certainly made me think:

With confidence growing and weather always seeming to be against me I started to test my 450 Heli indoors each time I had made a mod or repair.

Clever me that in such a short time I seem to have managed to master hovering in the conservatory

Never felt too comfortable though as the heli was mere feet away and the noise was a little disconcerting to say the least not helped by a new, more aggresive throttle curve.

Yesterday I was trying out new tail blades. These were slightly longer than my stock clone blades but as they were the same length as the Align versions I thought 'no worries'. I had one hover and then decided I needed to reduce the GYRO gain (blades more powerfull?).

For some reason I thought I would be clever and try skidding the bird back to the take off point in the centre of the room instead of place it there. As the bird leant back so the inevitable happened and the blades made contact with the carpet........

There was a sound like a .22 rimfire shot as one of the carbon blades parted company with the tail and flew past my head leaving the tip well imbedded in the door next to me about 18 inches away...

I was extremely lucky not to have been blinded.

I was a bit dissapointed with myself; I am normally very carefull, I have been flying RC for years now and feel I pretty much know the dangers but I think on this occasion I simply got over confident and sacrificed caution for convenience. Its easily done.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Glad you weren't injured! Thanks for sharing your learning experience. Hopefully others will learn from it.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

I know this is helecopters, but...

I shut my transmitter off after setting up a new setup, didn't even realize I left the battery in the plane. I guess the trim or something was up higher when I bound it, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the plane start to roll of the kitchen table as I got up to walk away. Without thinking I grabed for te front of the plane, put a big gash in my finger, then cut up my inner arm as I unplugged the battery.

Another time I forgot to set the prop adaptar tight, did a quick throttle test, prop and adaptar came flying off and hit the underside of the table.

Now I pull the props off any plane I bring inside.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)

Ya can't be too careful. Had "learning curves" like that with both planes AND helis.

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
So relieved that you weren't injured
Rc Vehicles contrary to popular belief are not toys and they can and will inflict serious even life threatening injury unless treated with the proper respect and safety precautions
Take care dear friends
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

ALL my planes are stored "propless". It's amazing the damage a 4 inch prop on a speed 400 can do to the careless finger, I have absolutely no desire to find out what a 7 or 10 incher being spun by a 3S LiPo and brushless outrunner is capable of.

I also pay a litle extra to have my regular glasses made out of ANSI approved plastic.

[i]Posted via Mobile Device[/i
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

My plane had a powerup 450 sport motor pulling over 200 watts throwing a 10X5 prop. Those apc electric props reall, really hurt.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Mikejeff

Friends: (0)

thanks a lot for your flying experience, it is good, and i think maybe everyone need some lessons to learn how to be better.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis