Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
vicrider

Friends: (0)
Default M.A.N. Lectric Hots

Anybody here ever build the lectric hots from model airplane news ? Its some what smaller then the electric hots that was offered from midwest, 37" span vs 41". I ordered a set of plans for this (and the origanal hots).

There really isnt much I could find concerning brushless setups. Its an older design for sure but I think with modern brushless power and lipos it would be outstanding. Im thinking that my eflite 450 would work well or my eflite 480 but that might be alittle much. The weight of the plane is listed at 38 to 42 oz's, but thats with brushed motor and nicads. Should be able to keep the weight way under that.

I have been a fan of the hots planes when I used to fly several years ago. I have had the origanal hots from midwest, the hots 2 from midwest and the superhots from plans.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Post the numbers (wing area - weight etc) and lets see. I think it will be awesome for you. It was made back in the day where it was Nicads and Cans.

Mike
Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
vicrider

The wing area I beleave is around 333 sq inchs(the midwest one was around 370). At 42 oz that puts it at 18.2 oz per sqft. If I can cut the all up weight to 32 oz's and that would put it at 13.8 oz per sqft.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I would think that a 250-300w power system would be perfect and light for that model. I think you will want the 480 size maybe even just a touch more.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
vicrider

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I would think that a 250-300w power system would be perfect and light for that model. I think you will want the 480 size maybe even just a touch more.
Thanks.
After a 10+ year layoff from flying and new to electric to boot, info like this helps.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
vicrider

About 1/2 hour after my last post the plans arrived. Not bad, only took a week. After seeing the plans my perspective of things change. A 450 would be small, so maybe I will start with my eflite 480. I will replace plywood with balsa in areas where I think I can get away with it. The tail control surfaces that are sheet I will replace with built up surfaces. Some holes here and there to help lighten it even more. The real weight saver will be in the motor and battery though.

I will start cutting out parts to make a kit, but wont put glue to wood until after the 4th. Too many people comming so alot to do around here.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
vicrider

I built it. Used an os .10 with a castle thunderbird 54 esc. I deleted the cowl and built up the tail control surfaces and used as light of wood as I could find. Its all futaba gear using 3114 servos and a 6j tx. It balanced just about perfect with out adding any extra wieght. Have not put it on a scale yet. The color is as close to the original as I could get from a black and white photo. It will get its first flight next week end. Still have to put a watt meter and tach to some diffrant props.
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...ndplane005.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...ndplane006.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...ndplane001.jpg
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
vicrider

Well I couldnt wait tell next weekend. I thru a 9x7.5 prop on it and took it over to the school yard.
It tracks well on the ground for a tail dragger. I let it roll out for a little before I pulled it off the ground. The os motor is extremly smooth and queit. Not as fast as I expected but much faster then my pz mustang with a eflite 480. It will go straight up with out end. I might reduce the aileron throw cause roll rate was extremly fast. Rudder authority is real good, I was able to circle the school yard multiple times in a knife edge. I did a couple of touch and go's just to check out its landing qualitys, which is pretty good. Slow flight is pretty good.

It really does fly good. Some one should really kit this plane again cause with the newer gear that is avalible really makes it come alive compared to what I have read about it with the old brushed motors and nicads.

All in all im really glad I built this. Will experiment with differant props next weekend.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
vicrider

Here is a really crappy video of the plane flying. I had my midland camera attached to my cap. There are a few flybys that can be seen, but most of the video looks pretty far off. There was a pretty good cross wind going during the approch I use for landings. I tried a 10x5 apc prop this time, I liked the 9x7.5 I had on its first flight better.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft