Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)
Default CG specs for the 35mm EDF jets by Jpower, Skyangel, Blitzrc, etc. and FAQs.

To clarify, the 35mm EPO jets from Jpower, Skyangel, Blitzrc, etc. are all from the same manufacturer which is JPower. So regardless if you bought the plane from Banana Hobby, Nitroplanes, Hobbyking, Toysonics, or from some other online vender.... they are all from the same manufacturer. It's commonplace these days for all sorts of RC products. This thread's purpose is to collect the data for easy access in one place for the CG range of best performance for these jets. This should help anyone wanting to find the information as this thread can be linked when the questions pop up.
If you have additional information, please post and the original list will be updated. If you've flown a particular model and have a cg recommendation then post it! Measurements are great, pictures aren't bad either. This should be a helpful resource for the RC community. There is a similar thread for the 50mm Jpower jets as well. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67172

Thanks!

Here's what I have so far.....

CG listing

Single EDFs
F-18 = 33-36mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint.
T-45 = 24mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint.
F-86 = 59mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint. Works at 62mm back as well.
F-16 = 55mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint.
Mig-15 = 43mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint.

Twin EDFs
A-10 = 20mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint. (mfg. lists 25mm which is incorrect)
Mig-29 = 36-37mm back from leading edge wing to fuse joint. Can work as far back as 40mm back from the leading edge.
F-15 = 32mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint.

FAQ:
Q: What plane is best for a beginner?
A: None.... EDFs are not for a beginner, things happen far too quickly and really require previous 3 channel flight experience to be successful. Sure people have done it, it's the exception that really makes the general rule.

Q: Will the stock motor handle 3s voltage?
A: Yes, there seem to be zero problems with that.

Q: Will the stock fan handle 3s voltage?
A: There appear to be zero issues with the fans on 3s voltage.

Q: Will the stock ESC handle 3s voltage?
A: In short..... nope. A few have managed to survive, but most times it fries as soon as you apply voltage. Swap the ESC for a 10A esc rated for high rpm outrunner use. A CC 10 Phoenix works, so do a few generic 10-12A escs.

Q: Can I use a bigger battery for longer flight times?
A: People that ask this question really don't understand the function of the battery. Not only does the battery power the plane, it also balances the plane for a proper CG for flight. A larger battery is heavier and will most likely cause a nose heavy condition. The more weight you add, the more power it takes to drive that weight and the worse the plane performs at slow speed. So the answer is "Maybe", but other things usually suffer. Some of these planes have a battery compartment that will hold a 1200 mAh battery. That doesn't mean it can fly with one. Your best bet for longer flight times is to buy quite a few extra lipos. When performance starts to dwindle, land and swap packs. I actually prefer flying for a couple minutes and landing to swap packs.

Q what lipo do I use?
A: The one that offsets the tail weight of the plane and allows the plane to have a correct Center of Gravity for flight. The higher the C rating for discharge, the easier it is on the battery. Generally, I tend go go overkill on the C rating and use 40C (minimum) packs.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)

good info..is this from your findings ?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
good info..is this from your findings ?
I have roughly 40 EDFs in service at any given moment and I do have most of the JPower jets. There few that I don't have, I got the CG info from other users who went though the process and contributed the information. Is that what you are looking for?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
Brick
small Member

absolutely !!..i just got the JPower 35mm F-86. hope to get it up in the air next week. (i was short one of the aileron control push rods) ...so i'm having to make another. user info is often better than the manual !!!

i'm hooked on the edf jets right now
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

absolutely !!..i just got the JPower 35mm F-86. hope to get it up in the air next week. (i was short one of the aileron control push rods) ...so i'm having to make another. user info is often better than the manual !!!

i'm hooked on the edf jets right now
Cool. The F-86 intake duct is not very good, I ended up cutting a cheater duct. There is a square panel outlined under the wing that is the perfect size. I cut that out and beveled the rear edge to allow a smooth shot to the fan. Static thrust was improved by a noticeable amount.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
Brick
small Member

i may have to try the cheater duct for sure....seems abit underpowered !!!

i have a slightly larger F-86 that has this already built in under the fuselage

good tip
Old 06-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

i may have to try the cheater duct for sure....seems abit underpowered !!!

i have a slightly larger F-86 that has this already built in under the fuselage

good tip
Yes, the F-86 is a bit shy on static thrust. If the plane gets off step, it's difficult to get it back in the groove. The cheater duct makes a big difference in the ability to recover.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
Brick
small Member

well i cut out the hole in the fuselage. just by holding it in my hand it felt like it had more power ! iwas gonna take it down to the field to test it..but i walked outside, man it was 105 degrees here ?? i just came back in

i got the 4th off....hope to fly all day

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes